The drinking thread

ShadySands

http://shop.bevmo.com/search?w=urquell

I just checked and it's fairly ubiquitous here in the Golden State at least. Bevmo has several varieties, although my local one is out of stock. I'll have to go to one of the nearby cities to get one. Pilsner is a fairly mild taste compared to a lot of the trendy brews. IPAs have taken off like a rocket and, while I like the occasional IPA, I do find that it's often a little too hopsy for my taste. Depends on my mood, of course. I'm looking to go to Bevmo to get some of the sour brews. There's a variety at Stone Brewery... Great Bowman's Beard or some such. It's been a while since I was down there. Anyhow, I think that's the sour. It was ****ing brilliant. ...And they don't sell it anywhere. As I recall, I couldn't even buy it at the brewery store, which bites. I'll have to look into it again.

Meanwhile, I have a Cheeky Bordeaux I'm going to have later tonight and, because I'm a complete Philistine, I'll chase it with this beer called Photocosmos Modern Times IPA. I guess, after all that complaining, I'm in the mood.

EDIT: ...and I decided to do the unthinkable and switch in the beer between glasses of wine. I can now tell you that I was definitely in the mood for the IPA. Perfect balance of hefty hopsy goodness, slightly lingering finish that doesn't overstay its welcome, and a good balance on the edge of bitter. I could even enjoy a little more bitter, but my experience with IPAs is the bitter tends to come with increasingly pronounced hops flavor. I want to get some of the yeast taste also. I know from home brewers I know that the yeast can have a profound and yet subtle impact on the overall flavor. Hops can sometimes be a sledge hammer. Yeast can be a... whatever the term is for a jeweler's hammer.

Edited by imaenoon

I feel cold as a razor blade,

tight as a tourniquet,

dry... as a funeral... drum... as it were...

There is something about good whiskey that just makes it a pleasure to sip. A guy at the VFW gave me a bottle of Michter's Rye for my birthday. That was a few months ago and I never got around to trying it until tonight. I'm not a fan of rye. It has a "dry" aftertaste that I usually don't care for. And good bourbon has a certain sweetness to it that rye does not. But this stuff is remarkably good. I think it's been spiced with oranges because it does have a slightly sweet orange flavor. It's definitely got that rye whiskey burn. It's not as obnoxious as scotch (that stuff is only good for emergency anesthesia or pest control IMO) though. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Out of my price range, mon frere. I had a couple shots of Johnny Walker gold label the weekend of Thanksgiving at my Father in Law's house. Sorry, Guard dude, I can't abide the sweet aftertaste of Bourbon.

I feel cold as a razor blade,

tight as a tourniquet,

dry... as a funeral... drum... as it were...

I'm going to just take this thread over.   :p

I haven't had much for the last few months but I'm going to start drinking again just so this thread has some resistance.

Started drinking Exotico tequila after having it in a Sunrise at Torchy's Tacos and found it was really good. Since finals are over on Tuesday, I plan to hit a liquor store and load up on enough alcohol to get me good and drunk for a few days and am gonna get Exotico, some whiskey(preferably Irish), and maybe some rum or stout for light drinking.

Tonight I'm gonna down some Kilbeggan I've got and see how that goes.

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm drinking Micheladas.  I've settled on Clamato, the spicy variey to be more precise, as my go to juice for making Micheladas over any variety of Bloody Mary Mix, plain tomato juice, or v8, that subtle hint of clam in Clamato works really well with the drink.  Also, obviously, lime and salt go in.  Plus, I like to add a dash of dill weed, that's my own little twist on the drink.  The great thing about Micheladas is that you can use cheep beer and it comes out great.  Well, not with ALL cheap beer, but my go to beer for Micheladas is Rolling Rock, which is dirt cheap.  I find that lighter, more watery beers work best in the drink over stronger more flavorful beers.  The beer is mostly there for the carbonation and a hint of alcohol taste, you don't want the beer's taste overpowering the flavor of the juice and spices.  The bad thing about Micheladas is that they taste so delicious and go down so smooth and easy that it's easy to get too drunk off them.  :wowey:

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I just scheduled the first History of Hops field trip.  I sent an email out to 21st Amendment Brewery about a tour, and they are kindly going to be hosting us next week.  The is the Big Time.   :p

Looking forward to it ^^

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Larceny Bourbon

I haven't even tasted it yet just been smelling it for about an hour

Update - finally got around to tasting it. Good flavor as I like wheated bourbons but it tastes hotter than I'd expect at 92 proof but at under 25 bucks for a fifth I can recommend it

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I've got some catching up to do. The last one I watched was the first one.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Finally! I've been waiting!  =)

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Today turned out better than I expected. Me and my small posse rolled out to a brewery for an official tour and asked a ton of questions, and I ended up with pages of notes for the podcast and blog. The taproom manager comped our drinks. Then we went to another brewery down the road and got talking about the podcast again. The guy who runs their tours and education came over and chatted us up, turns out he has a Masters in Beer History and has written a thesis. He had us try a bunch of beers and I geeked out with him, and scheduled another visit in a few months. I'll be writing all this up for my website, but I needed to let someone know how crazy my day was.  :p

• Like 3

Today turned out better than I expected. Me and my small posse rolled out to a brewery for an official tour and asked a ton of questions, and I ended up with pages of notes for the podcast and blog. The taproom manager comped our drinks. Then we went to another brewery down the road and got talking about the podcast again. The guy who runs their tours and education came over and chatted us up, turns out he has a Masters in Beer History and has written a thesis. He had us try a bunch of beers and I geeked out with him, and scheduled another visit in a few months. I'll be writing all this up for my website, but I needed to let someone know how crazy my day was.   :p

tumblr_oic39kQZsf1qzux4zo1_500.gif

• Like 2

Not actually had any yet but I've been infusing some vodka with mango and a little bit of sugar cane. Last year I did it with horseradish but since I do most things last minute the store didn't have any horseradish this time so I decided to do sweet

• Like 1