Iron Wheel isn't working

limaxophobiacq

Question

10 answers to this question

This is working fine for me. I've just tested this in 2.03 and I do get +1 DR per wound up to +10; it shows both in my character sheet and in the combat log.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Does it work when you aren't wearing armor?

I started a new game and tried it again and it didn't work when I tried it without armor, but then I tried it with armor and I then suddenly with armor I was getting DR.

Except I'm not consistently getting as much DR as I should, here I am with 8 wounds and scale armor. I should have 15 DR (7 from scale, 8 from wounds), but for some reason I only get 13.

If I use fully enchanted plate, I seem to always get the full bonus.

post-42670-0-45865400-1448662501_thumb.jpg

post-42670-0-35480900-1448662508_thumb.jpg

Edited by limaxophobiacq

So, I've been running more ... experiments (read in a David Warner voice.)

It is indeed true that when the Monk is naked, no DR is ever gained from Wounds with Iron Wheel; I provide files and repro steps below.

I could, however, consistently obtain the correct number of DR from wounds while wearing armor. I have tried with monk outfit (unenchanted), scale armor (unenchanted), and Husk of the Great Western Stag (unique), all of which can be found in the Monk's inventory in my saved game below (the stash contains all kinds of other armors to test if necessary.)

SAVED GAME: link

OUTPUT LOG: link

REPRO STEPS:

Load the attached saved game.

Select the Death Godlike dudette and access her character record.

Observe that she is a Monk and has the Iron Wheel class ability, which gives +1 DR per Wound.

Go to her inventory and observe she is currently wearing no armor, and her DR is 0.

Back in game, select the four lone dudes and make them walk southeast-ward to meet a group of enemies and enter combat; leave the Monk dudette and the protagonist behind.

Once you've entered combat, have the protagonist attack the Monk dudette and pause the game after every attack to check the Monk's DR.

Observe that the Monk is never gaining any DR from Wounds.

My best guess is that the code is looking for a base DR value to increase and fails to recognize 0 DR from wearing nothing as a legit value to increase (but I'm in wild speculation territory here; I'm no programmer and I have no idea what the code handling this looks like.)

You'll see there are three other armors in the Monk's inventory with which to test. I have consistently got correct DR values from Iron Wheel while wearing those. Other armors are available in the stash.

EDIT: A Barbarian's Thick Skinned ability appears to apply correctly to naked characters.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

My best guess is that the code is looking for a base DR value to increase and fails to recognize 0 DR from wearing nothing as a legit value to increase (but I'm wild speculation territory here; I'm no programmer and I have no idea what the code handling this looks like.)

EDIT: A Barbarian's Thick Skinned ability appears to apply correctly to naked characters.

I am a software developer and this is also my guess. Seems you made an educated one. ;)

Thanks a bunch for testing Thick Skinned. In the meantime, I had to cut out skirts from a fashion catalogue and glue them onto some oddly drawn figures. I guess you had the more interesting - and more manly - job. :D

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Bump for visibility :)

My best guess is that the code is looking for a base DR value to increase and fails to recognize 0 DR from wearing nothing as a legit value to increase (but I'm in wild speculation territory here; I'm no programmer and I have no idea what the code handling this looks like.)

Further reinforcing this thought is the fact that wearing clothes makes Iron Wheel work, despite their also having a base DR of 0.

This suggests that so long as the armor slot is occupied, a character will have a base DR value that Iron Wheel can add to—including 0. When naked, characters are likely treated as having no DR value whatsoever which, while logically correct, makes the code for Iron Wheel wonder where the heck it is supposed to apply its effects. If this holds true, a fix could be to make the engine treat naked characters as though they were wearing invisible clothes with a base DR value of 0.

If this doesn't hold true, on the other hand, I've just wasted everyone's time XD

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1