[TWM 2.03] Spirit of Decay does not work with Bittercut

AndreaColombo

Question

SAVED GAME: link

OUTPUT LOG: link

REPRO STEPS:

Load the attached saved game.

Select "FighterDudette", the dudette in Vailian clothes, and access her character record.

Scroll down to her talent list and observe she has the Spirit of Decay talent, which gives +20% Corrode damage.

Go to her Inventory and observe she is wielding Bittercut, a sabre that deals Slash/Corrode damage. Further observe the minimum damage listed is 17, which does not take Spirit of Decay into account (rightfully.)

Back to the game, have FighterDudette attack the Amaua protagonist who is wearing a brigandine (brigandine is weak against Corrode, so every swing will deal Corrode damage.)*

Keep an eye on the combat log. The minimum damage you should observe before DR applies is 17 * 1.2 = 20.4 (you'll have to hover your mouse over every hit to get the pre-DR damage; ignore grazes and crits for convenience.)

Observe that you'll easily get hits below 20.4 damage, suggesting that Spirit of Decay is not boosting the Corrode damage from Bittercut.

* I equipped Coat of Ill Payment because it was readily available but there's likely another brigandine or two in the Stash which would make the combat log less crammed (Coat of Ill Payment has retaliation.)

The same steps as above may be followed to test Stormcaller and Heart of the Storm.

The character with Stormcaller is CipherDudette, black woman with Aedyran clothes. She has Heart of the Storm and the minimum pre-DR damage should be 13 * 1.2 = 15.6

This one has been trickier; the minimum I got was 15.4 and only happened once (but I guess it's the same bug as Bittercut's and fixing it for one weapon fixes it globally.)

This time around I had no mods installed :D

EDIT:

Additional stuff.

Enchant Bittercut with Corrosive Lash, which gives +25% Corrode damage.

Use FighterDudette to attack the Aumaua protagonist.

Observe in the combat log that even though Bittercut is dealing Corrode damage as a base, the lash goes separately against 25% of the target's DR.

This is how lashes normally work, but in the case of a weapon already dealing Corrode damage, shouldn't the lash simply add up to the base damage? This is one of those "bug or intended" questions that should probably go to a designer :)

...aaand if you really have some extra time (which I doubt you do): Try creating a Fire Godlike and equipping them with Bittercut. When I do it, the sword takes on a reddish tint that looks rather ugly.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

13 answers to this question

Thanks for the bug report Andrea.

I would like to add Firebrand + Scion of Flame. Same problem...

And by the way: do these talents boost the damage oft duplicates (wizard's phantoms, monks elemental duplicates) - and if not: why? :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Fairly sure that fixing Bittercut will also fix both Stormcaller and Firebrand (seems to be the same bug.)

Dichotomous Soul is trickier to test but I should be able to create a test case for it. Taking for granted their base damage is the same as the Monk's, if the Monk is naked and has the talents we can calculate the minimum we expect from the twins. If it doesn't work, I'll post the save and write up steps (either tonight or over the weekend.)

Fingers crossed for 3.0 eh :)

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So I've just tested The Dichotomous Soul with the elemental talents and they appear to work with it. My Monk's base damage was 20-25, which means the minimum damage expected from the twins was 20 * 1.2 = 24. I've had them attack a party member a number of times and never got a hit below 24. I also appreciated how powerful the twins really are; the time has come for me to work on a Monk build (as though we didn't have enough of those already :p)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

Just tested Spirit of the Decay (+20% Corrode damage) with Minoletta's Minor Missiles, which deals Crush/Corrode damage.

The talent definitely does NOT apply to the Corrode damage of the spell. I take it the bug is the same affecting Bittercut, and fixing it once will fix it for all.

Edited by AndreaColombo

From a quick test with Bittercut the other day, it appears to have been fixed. Hopefully the QA guys can confirm by checking out the ticket status ;)

Let us all praise the programming legend that is..... BMac! You are correct, it has been fixed!

All hail BMac!

• Like 1

In 2.03 and  previous versions this bug appear only with weapon or also with  spells/skills, no matter DoT or direct dmg?

I suppose it didn't work at all, since it didn't affected either weapons and  DoT spells. So why it should have worked with others spells and skills? 

I test myself:

-bittercut definitely not working,dmg drops often   below  min. value( I used same method as AndreaColombo,  min. dmg output from character sheet and multiplication with 20% from elemental talent) 

- with spells fan of flames drops significantly  rarely, something like 1 of 20 tests, but still it's counted

I'm asking couse still playing  on 2.03 . Looking for Yours experience and confirmation.

Edited by Gs11

In 2.03 it wasn't working either with weapons or spells.

In 3.00+ it does.

DoT effects still don't benefit from elemental talents; that's a separate ticket and IIRC Aarik confirmed it is still open.