Why Pistol is two hand?

Uh to answer what the other guys aren't actually saying clearly.... Eternity guns are still low tech, which means they are hand loaded flintlock style guns that have to have powder and iron ball bullet loaded by hand for every shot.  Even for a pistol this takes two hands, thus pistols are two handed weapons.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

youtube a video of a flintlock man, those things are so innacurate anyone shooting it one handed is crazy. they also have crazy kickback.

fault's on obsidian tho, should've named them flintlocks, not "pistol".

unlike dual-wielding melee weaponry which is historical and factual and for-realz yo, dual-wielding guns is super impractical and basically only done in movies. even a 2 pound baretta with a lady grip should be used two handed always.

Edited by aweigh0101

Yeah, and the fact that they're inaccurate means that you're probably using them at fairly close range and, especially if you're a front line fighter, getting off maybe one or two shots at most before you're forced to drop the weapon and close (or be closed) into melee. For that reason, dual wielding them isn't insane, but with most folks accuracy, I imagine you'd be better off firing one with as best aim as possible, dropping the pistol, grabbing the other, and getting off a second shot. That can be done a hell of a lot faster than reloading and would be much more accurate than going all akimbo with a flintlock. If I had a lot of guns, forewarning, and some distance, I'd arm a bunch of such era specific weapons lay out an ambush. Plus, if you have several party members, folks could take aim and fire and grab a weapon. ...But then again, I'm not really all that familiar with the flintlock era of history. :Cant's sheepish smile icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Are you sure? The pistol was one handed for a while in one of the beta versions, until it was promptly "fixed". There was even a thread requesting it remained "broken". Or did it surface then that the reasons were technical? Two separate recovery timers and so on?

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

fault's on obsidian tho, should've named them flintlocks, not "pistol".

No, because a flintlock isn't a gun type but a type of firing mechanism, an advanced firing mechanism at that which is more advanced than what Pillars uses.  Flintlocks could be muskets and rifles as well.  Pillars uses the older "Wheellock" firing mechanism that kind of existed inbetween matchlocks and flintlocks, though matchlocks tended to be used alongside wheellocks as the wheellocks were complicated and expensive as they were essentially clockwork lighters, used mainly for the first pistols (matchlock pistols were more like carbines, used from horseback, since carrying a weapon in your holster that required a lit match wasn't very convenient).  So actually, yes, pistol is the right word to use, due to them not using the flintlock firing mechanism and the weapon being a pistol.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Are you sure? The pistol was one handed for a while in one of the beta versions, until it was promptly "fixed". There was even a thread requesting it remained "broken". Or did it surface then that the reasons were technical? Two separate recovery timers and so on?

The technical reasons were about clipping during the reload if you were using a shield, I think.

You wonder why a pistol is two-handed?

WHY can't we wear a necklace or amulet, WITH a cloak?!

That's what I want to know, damnit!

Come now, surely you realize that amulet would be completely gaudy paired with that necklace, and the luxurious fur trim of your cloak would simply get snagged on both and cover them up anyway.  You must consider the fashion in these things.

i want to dual wield capes goddamnit, one in the front and one in the back. i just don't understand why we can't do this the tech is already in.

why can't we wear two belts either ?? they managed to get that feature working in kingdom hearts just fine sora has tons of gear ARGH

come on OBSIDIAN JESUS 

• Like 1

I want to dual wield mismatched shoes. Imagine one boot of speed and another boot of butt stomping or something. You could quickly close and apply boot to butt.

EDIT: okay okay, I guess I should be more responsible. The short answer is that from everything I've seen, read, or heard, Sawyer looks askance at kewl kid dual wield pistols akimbo. That doesn't mean it can't change or that you will never see it. For my part, I think it's a bit silly in theory. A friend of mine would always want to dual wield hand cross-bows, which always begged the question, how do you reload them? If the answer is, you want to get off two shots quickly, that sounds cool and all, but you're almost certain to get off two shots much better one at a time and two shots aimed simultaneously... with hand crossbows.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

i really, REALLY want to butt into this thread and point out a second time that...

DUAL WIELDING GUNS IS LOLWUT. it is simply the most absolutely terrible way a gunman could think of to utilize his weaponry of small arms, ESPECIALLY modern guns.

this comment is Sawyer-approved. TM

• Like 1

The cloak/amulet thing is possibly a legitimate gripe I think. It seems like there way more cloaks and amulets in the game then there are other item types, which makes it look like they were designed to be separate. You get to the end of the game with only a handful of belts or boots in your stash but entire rows of cloaks and amulets.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 3

infinitron that isn't a bug using dual necklace/cape loot setup was original stretch goals but sadly didn't make the cut

sawyer tweeted that it's in the works for TWM 2 there is for-hire convocations online for positions at OBS to test long term effects of having two pieces of clothing on your neck simultaenously the last tweet mentioned the placebo group was doing 22% better than the control group which means officially a statistical significance in variation! 

can't wait for poe 2 

• Like 1

If that's so, I'm thinking that compared to other clipping issues during recovery the pistol isn't that much of a problem. BTW, who in their right mind would use a pistol with a shield? The pistol is already inaccurate :)

A shield is the only thing I can see working with a pistol if they become one-handed, like slings in the IE games. A second pistol wouldn't make sense and would create huge clipping issues, and dual-wielding with a melee weapon would necessitate a system of its own.

infinitron that isn't a bug using dual necklace/cape loot setup was original stretch goals but sadly didn't make the cut

sawyer tweeted that it's in the works for TWM 2 there is for-hire convocations online for positions at OBS to test long term effects of having two pieces of clothing on your neck simultaenously the last tweet mentioned the placebo group was doing 22% better than the control group which means officially a statistical significance in variation! 

can't wait for poe 2 

I can take your purposefully annoying posting style and most of your trolls, but saying that a dev said something when they didn't is going too far. Stop.

A shield is the only thing I can see working with a pistol if they become one-handed, like slings in the IE games. A second pistol wouldn't make sense and would create huge clipping issues, and dual-wielding with a melee weapon would necessitate a system of its own.

Well, you can't reload a flintlock pistol with one hand, so I don't think even a shield might go. However, an opening shot with a pistol and then using only a cold steel weapon, without the usual accuracy bonus for one handed style (since you have the pistol in your other hand), I think that would have been nice. Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png