Question to American members

BruceVC

I don't care, I've got thick skin and don't hold any love for the US. But trolling them is pretty funny.

Can I ask you a question, I have to be honest I don't understand how you can live in the USA but not like your country? I am probably misunderstanding you ?
Because there is a lot to dislike. Off the top of my head:

1) I don't like being spied on by an increasingly authoritarian state.

2) I don't like the power private corporations wield, such as getting laws made that benefit them at the expense of people such as TPP or PIPA.

3) I don't like having money taken from me to support foreign wars and drone assassination.

4) I don't like the political process being blatantly controlled by corporate powers and billionaires.

5) I don't like the tendency to intervene in other countries, usually leaving them worse off, while abandoning citizens here.

Sounds very... libertarian. Better watch out KP, Barack Obama will start to think you are a likely domestic terrorist and order you killed by a drone.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Something interesting occurred a while ago  and it made me think about something I wanted to ask

Ros was having a debate with Monte about the UK  system of government and as usual Ros was making a very interesting and compelling point and Monte got annoyed and basically said " I don't need advice about my country from someone who lives in Sweden " , it was a complete overreaction but it made me realize how most of us don't like foreigners giving us advice about our country or highlighting issues 

Yet it seems on a daily basis most of us give advice or criticize or scrutinize the USA and its policies and culture...and yet you guys never seem to get annoyed?

Why is that? Are you use to it...do you ignore it..I'm interested in how our American members feel about non-Americas often discussing the USA  8)

Why would the fact that criticism came from a foreigner make it any less valid? Any input they have is welcome far as I'm concerned.

But you have a very strange view of American interventionism....you dont believe the USA should ever intervene in other countries  it seems unless the USA is directly threatened ? Thats a little irresponsible I would think  :biggrin:

I don't know about that. I'm becoming more inclined in that direction myself.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Huh, I didn't know Federal law trumps Tribal law. I thought it was the other way around. For some reason I also had it in my head that while on a reservation you are technically not protected by the Constitution, but that seems wrong too if Fed trumps Tribal. Things that also surprised me were housing shortages, no Federal checks and 80%(!!!) alcoholism. Damn.

is relative off-topic, so we will be brief... as brief as we is able.

in a nutshell, the Court observes that recognized (such recognition is more complicated than you might think) Indian tribes is deserving o' "dependent domestic nation" status.  as such, those tribes got sovereignty that trumps individual state law, but fed law can diminish or even eliminate such sovereignty.  the tribal dependence on Fed government and the limits placed on tribal sovereignty create a trust relationship between the Fed and tribes.

am suspecting that don't clear much up for gifted, but truth to tell, it ain't much clearer to experts.

http://www.truesiouxhope.org/need/

is embarrassing.

and as for hurl comparing kp to college students in the quad, we see as appropriate and not necessarily a criticism. is a good thing that american university students is encouraged to challenge the dominant paradigm.   those university students is often integral to social change.  the thing is, as we has noted before, there is few creatures more naive and ignorant than a first/second year university student.  college is a new world, and with a mere few dozen credits to their name, the largely ignorant students thinks they got answers.  

*shrug*

is a good thing to have young and intelligent people who is not daunted by the magnitude and complexity o' real world problems.  naivety gives the college student protesting in the quad a kinda power that more educated and mature minds is incapable o' recollecting.  the older and wiser mind understands that the problems is rare so simple and easily corrected as the college student believes.  the older and more jaded realize that the villains that college students sees as obvious don't really exist and neither does most o' the heroes neither.  

the college student protesting in the quad is a blessing... if a bit comical.  the college student is ignorant and naive but the paradox is that their lack o' awareness makes it possible for them to demand change that wiser minds would dismiss as pointless.  and sometimes, those smart and ignorant college kids who has no reasonable chance to bring about meaningful change... succeed. 

oh, and as for leferd being a lazy uc student

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/profiles/

other than at merced, even the mediocre uc freshman is academically impressive.  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't care, I've got thick skin and don't hold any love for the US. But trolling them is pretty funny.

Can I ask you a question, I have to be honest I don't understand how you can live in the USA but not like your country? I am probably misunderstanding you ?
Because there is a lot to dislike. Off the top of my head:

1) I don't like being spied on by an increasingly authoritarian state.

2) I don't like the power private corporations wield, such as getting laws made that benefit them at the expense of people such as TPP or PIPA.

3) I don't like having money taken from me to support foreign wars and drone assassination.

4) I don't like the political process being blatantly controlled by corporate powers and billionaires.

5) I don't like the tendency to intervene in other countries, usually leaving them worse off, while abandoning citizens here.

Sounds very... libertarian. Better watch out KP, Barack Obama will start to think you are a likely domestic terrorist and order you killed by a drone.

Stop it GD :lol:  ..KP already has issues with the government, please don't add to it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why would the fact that criticism came from a foreigner make it any less valid? Any input they have is welcome far as I'm concerned.

But you have a very strange view of American interventionism....you dont believe the USA should ever intervene in other countries  it seems unless the USA is directly threatened ? Thats a little irresponsible I would think  :biggrin:

So? What does that have to do with anything?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Sorry I didn't explain part of my point, I meant to add if the USA followed your view very few people would be annoyed or criticize the USA...it may seem ideal 

But the world would be a darker place ....a much more benighted and fractured place to live. And there would be much more tension and dictators ruling various regions. 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sorry I didn't explain part of my point, I meant to add if the USA followed your view very few people would be annoyed or criticize the USA...it may seem ideal 

But the world would be a darker place ....a much more benighted and fractured place to live. And there would be much more tension and dictators ruling various regions. 

Nah,I don't so, not that I'd change my mind even if that were true. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

channel kp?  regardless, is as much representative o' a great american as is, well,  captain america?

oh wait, cap fought on the side o' the rebels in that civil war thing.

jimmy stewart in mr. smith goes to washington?  

hmmm.  he were fighting rampant corruption in washington, so might not fit.

rambo? 

in any event, even when you see folks being condemned as unpatriotic, the rebel and rabble rouser is as much a part  o' the American identity as is the guy who wraps himself in the flag.  

oh, and just for fun, Thomas Magnum and Gromnir likely only got one thing in common: both big stalag 17 fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm1biDpzlp8

bit long, but great william holden stuff.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Someone read "The Man In the High Castle"

Thomas Sowell

I did and I found it ripe with historical inaccuracies 

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The author must have taken a lot of LSD.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The author must have taken a lot of LSD.

He was a schizophrenic who used to talk to the ghost of his dead twin sister that he didn't know he had and received a vision that led him to save his son's life by taking him to the doctor preemptively. I don't know if he did LSD though.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

It was a throwaway joke. And yes, it's been documented that PKD took his fair share of psychedelics, including LSD.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Hey the best writers were all a little nuts. BTW Orogun that was f-----g funny!

Thomas Sowell

Hey the best writers were all a little nuts. BTW Orogun that was f-----g funny!

Thanks.

village_idiot.gif