Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Rosbjerg

Kotaku praised FO4 and other Bethesda games. This was about them leaking info about future products and games not released. Kotaku can do that as they please but Betehsda doesn't have to share information with them if they feel they'll betray their trust. Afterall, would you tell something stuff if theya re going to turn around blab it? Nope.; betehsda doesn't owe them squat.

Now, if I thoguht Bethesds wae blacklisting them simply because of poor reviews than I'd have an issue.

Plus, I don't care about poor Nazi SJW feelz so anything that makes Kotaku and their supporters butthurt makes me smile. then again, I like it when Bethesda butthurt. I say, let themd estory eahc other. :)

For me this is about Kotaku leaking information about games that had been asked not to

I can understand Ubisoft and Bethesda levels of exasperation....this is the most reasonable punitive steps they can take

I like Kotaku but the learn to respect NDA or other similar considerations 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

As far as I can tell, Kotaku wasn't under NDA, Bruce.

Here's the thing, people are taking sides here despite the fact both are simply within their rights to do what they did. :shrugz:

Sure...its not an NDA but they did leak information about games that Ubisoft and Bethesda were trying to keep confidential..it must be very frustrating for these publishers\developers to have no control over this type of thing...I can truly empathize with them

Isnt that why they were blacklisted..or am I missing something?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, they were trying to keep it confidential but is that Kotaku's problem? They're games journalists - it's their point to find and release information. They've gotten a lot of crap in recent years for not doing their job but now they're getting crap for doing it right! The fact it was leaked is an internal problem for those publishers. Frustration and empathy are all well and good but Kotaku did nothing wrong.

On the other hand, review copies and review access in all industries has always been provided as a good will gesture. Small websites don't get them because they don't register. It's not a right. "Blacklisting" doesn't mean anything and if they don't feel Kotaku has acted in good faith they don't have to do it. They did nothing wrong.

What does concern me is the vigor with which games fans will defend publishers that will screw you over with broken products and nickel and diming DLC practices. There is something deeply wrong with the game community. What has UbiSoft done in recent years that deserves such defense? Everyone who takes a hardline stance in this is what is wrong with the game community.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 5

As much as Kotaku gets crapped on, I have never seen anything but professionalism from Totilo. His articles are the only ones on Kotaku that actually seem like real journalism. Though thats probably because he's the only one there with a journalism degree.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The information on Prey 2 was definitely 'public good' information that Kotaku had no obligation to withhold- rather the opposite given the extremely unpleasant rumours about Bethesda trying to constructively bankrupt Human Head as a cheap way to get a game and a studio out of the original deal- and it was clear that Bethesda repeatedly and outright lied about Prey 2's status and the accuracy of Kotaku's initial article when they produced the emails the article was based on. It might be a case of a broken clock being right twice a day but Kotaku did their job there, and did it well. It was newsworthy, accurate and informative; exactly what actual journalism should be. It also happened to be extremely embarrassing for Bethesda and certain people at Arkane, but it was ultimately Bethesda's fault for that embarrassment since they did lie repeatedly and expect not to be called on it.

Don't know much about the F4 situation except that its development was at very best an open secret. As for Ubisoft, if they got sick of the Grayson's of the world turning every interview into a 'but my soggy knees!' fest then I doubt they'd be the first or the last. End of the day it certainly is Ubisoft's and Bethesda's decision who to provide their privileged information to, though it certainly does illustrate why you get so many softball "F4 has technical issues, but they're awesome technical issues 11/10" type reviews. Vicious circle really, say what the publisher doesn't want to provide actual information and run the risk of not getting official information in future or hold your tongue/ don't look at all to make sure you don't poison your relationship with PR. Do one and you're doing your job but may miss out on the exclusives and day 1 reviews which are the lifeblood of your site, do the other and you've become a glorified PR agent yourself.

• Like 3

To me it's just too little, too late from Kotaku. They have had numerous chances to be journalists and buck the system they helped create, they chose not to do that and insist that they don't need ethics, and that sleeping with, paying money to or living with developers is perfectly fine. Whatever they do now, they're tainted by their previous actions. I can't take them seriously whatever they do, as they have brought themselves and their profession into disrepute repeatedly, and their motivations are as always suspect.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

To me it's just too little, too late from Kotaku. They have had numerous chances to be journalists and buck the system they helped create, they chose not to do that and insist that they don't need ethics, and that sleeping with, paying money to or living with developers is perfectly fine. Whatever they do now, they're tainted by their previous actions. I can't take them seriously whatever they do, as they have brought themselves and their profession into disrepute repeatedly, and their motivations are as always suspect.

I consider the current event a step forward though, they still have a lot to go in terms of rebuilding their cred but it is a move in the right direction.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/yoga-classes-cancelled-university-ottawa-031734694.html

That is what happens when Nazi SJWs have any kind of control. EVIL.

Dude ....seriously ...wtf 

What is wrong with you Canadians, that article is an example of what I call " First World Privilege Blindness " 

It makes no sense...so they felt the name " yoga "  was inappropriate and now the class have to be cancelled 

So the real issue here is how egregiously ignorant those people are. Yoga is a universal name, there are Yoga classes at every single gym in South Africa. Its like " spinning class" .....Volo I cannot believe Varsity students could have such little global understanding of something like a Yoga class

That story is embarrassing 

John Milton 

This is the world you wanted. All about the feelz. This is what happens when your entire mission is to make the Western world ie The White Man ie The US  (or NA in this case) the Devil. Sadly, as the article suggests it is very likely all whitie privledged losers whining about it.

It makes me L0L.

But, hey,  other countries enjoying hockey is hateful bigotry to me.  That is cultural appropriation. :p

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This is the world you wanted. All about the feelz. This is what happens when your entire mission is to make the Western world ie The White Man ie The US  (or NA in this case) the Devil. Sadly, as the article suggests it is very likely all whitie privledged losers whining about it.

It makes me L0L.

But, hey,  other countries enjoying hockey is hateful bigotry to me.  That is cultural appropriation. :p

No my friend your link is not an example of a society I would ever want to exist...my ideal society would have some monitoring and increased expectations for how people need to behave but not like that example.  

Its like  refusing to eat at a Lebanese restaurant because you don't want to support ISIS...I still find it hard to believe that Varsity students wouldn't know how universal the word Yoga is ?

Funny enough I probably am more aware of the perceptions of this campaign agaisnt white people than you may think. I would like to share something with you  that I think you will find interesting but before I do I need you to be honest 

Do you think there is a campaign in some sectors of society to undermine white people ? Can you give some examples in your opinion. Any examples I just want context "?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

What are you doing now Volourn that your yoga class has been cancelled?

Hiro even in Oz you guys have Yoga classes right ?

John Milton 

"What are you doing now Volourn that your yoga class has been cancelled?"

L0L

"Do you think there is a campaign in some sectors of society to undermine white people ? Can you give some examples in your opinion. Any examples I just want context "?"

Absolutely. This is an exmaple. You would never ever hear people whining about you 'appropriation' if 'white culture'. LMAO

Also, another exmaple is sports. People whine about how things aren't equally represnetaive. Let's take sports.  In football/basketball, most players are black even thoguh blacks are a relatively small % of people in NA are black so they are over presented. No complaints. In hockey a predominately white sport  we hear about whining about lack of blacks in the sport and how it is a sign of racism. LMAO

People talk about white cops killing black 'criminals' but there is no talk about black cops killing black 'criminals' or white cops killing white 'criminals' or black cops killing white 'criminals'.

Quotas are another exmaple. Did you know that in the NFL you are FORCED to interview black coaches though there is no such quota for other races be it white or otherwise?

Etc., etc., etc.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"What are you doing now Volourn that your yoga class has been cancelled?"

L0L

"Do you think there is a campaign in some sectors of society to undermine white people ? Can you give some examples in your opinion. Any examples I just want context "?"

Absolutely. This is an exmaple. You would never ever hear people whining about you 'appropriation' if 'white culture'. LMAO

Also, another exmaple is sports. People whine about how things aren't equally represnetaive. Let's take sports.  In football/basketball, most players are black even thoguh blacks are a relatively small % of people in NA are black so they are over presented. No complaints. In hockey a predominately white sport  we hear about whining about lack of blacks in the sport and how it is a sign of racism. LMAO

People talk about white cops killing black 'criminals' but there is no talk about black cops killing black 'criminals' or white cops killing white 'criminals' or black cops killing white 'criminals'.

Quotas are another exmaple. Did you know that in the NFL you are FORCED to interview black coaches though there is no such quota for other races be it white or otherwise?

Etc., etc., etc.

Yes, you have made some valid examples. I am aware of what you saying and I will respond but its going to take time for me to make the post and I'm also working ...but I want to reply and I will so please be patient 

John Milton