So, I was having issues with my PC, and finally it failed. I can't figure out what's wrong with it, seems like everything is. Before I just junk the mobo I want to be 100% sure it's faulty. Here's what happened in chronological order, maybe some of you guys can help me diagnose this thing.
0. Installed a new CPU (Intel Core i5 3570K). For a week everything seemed fine. Here are the new specs:
Intel Core i5 3570K (brand new)
Corsair 8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM kit (cmv8gx3m2a1333c9) (2x4 GB) (3.5 years old)
nVidia GTX 550 Ti (4 years old)
Thermaltake Toughpower XT 575W PSU (3.5 years old)
2xSATA HDDs (Toshiba and Seagate, system on Toshiba (3 years old))
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H mobo (3.5 years old)
All settings in BIOS were set to factory defaults after clearing CMOS.
1. Graphics driver started crashing, sometimes accompanied by a hard freeze. Clean driver reisntall didn't help.
2. After a couple of freezes and reboots system files got corrupted. Had to repair my installation. Also, PC started beeping at POST, hinting at some issue with the graphics card. A reboot would fix it.
3. After a day of regular freezes PC started rebooting randomly.
4. Two days ago my Seagate HDD failed (I could hear the head moving back and forth without stopping, which prevented the system from booting).
I freaked out, thinking my PSU or mobo is killing my other parts. I replaced my PSU with an older 500W Thermaltake Purepower RX. The symptoms remained. After two freezes my system stopped loading again, requiring a repair. Trying to repair it with my flash drive would send it into a reboot every time right after POST.
5. Tested the system HDD on another PC, system partition turned up unrecoverable. I am now about to see if the HDD is alive at all, so I could at least recover some files from it.
Now, I've read a bunch of threads on what could cause all of this, but there are so many possible reasons I don't know where to start looking and how not to kill my last remaining HDD in the process...
Could a faulty mobo fry HDDs? Tomorrow I will try and test all my parts excluding the HDD from bottom to top. It looks like an HDD issue to me, but why would both HDDs fail inside the span of two days? Could this be a coincidence?
Edited by sorophx, 23 August 2015 - 01:11 PM.