Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

If Cali is recovering good on 'em and their governor.  That wasn't the case before. In fact, this is the first heard about how awesome they're doing. Kinda suspect I hear from a SJW. *eyes suspiciously*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I always thought "SoCal" is so poor they are selling advertisement places in school. Stuff like the "Coca Cola Classroom" or vending machines or something.

IIRC, SoCal is much poorer than NoCal. So much so that if they were split(which I believe SoCal wanted to do because they tend to vote Republican while NoCal votes Democrat) there would be a big difference in mean income and SoCal might not be able to generate enough tax to support the same expenditures they currently do.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

What exactly is my social justice platform anyways?  I'm curious, I feel like I should know.

Hurlshot only you can and should decide that..but decide that you should and remember 

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Huh, I'm surprised that is the impression you have TN.  It's far from the truth.

To be fair, as a European I pay very little attention to state news. Like I said, the impression has grown mostly from headlines and you know how sensationalized those are. Ethics in journalism and all that. :p

• Like 1

Bomb threat at the SPJ discussion, i'd like to say i'm surprised but sadly i'm not, have RPS laughed about this yet?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I apologize, I should have said morans.

What has Erin Moran been up to lately?

I believe the politically correct term is "maroon". Source: Bugs Bunny.

I was under the impression (solely created from half read headlines linked on facebook and twitter) that California has been teetering on the brink of bankruptcy for a while now. I don't know how true that is, but considering all I ever peripherally hear about california is "bankrupt" and "forest fire" I can understand that people might think that.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I apologize, I should have said morans.

What has Erin Moran been up to lately?

Last report (and this was over a year ago, possibly 2) was that she had been kicked out of her trailer park and was homeless.  No updates after that. 

The last two panel discussion condensed into 17 minutes.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

gaming journalism is an oxymoron... and we ain't lost a moment o' sleep over that fact.  we mention this once every six months or so, just for the hell of it.  find out that game journalists, glorified bloggers, is lacking professional ethics should surprise and offend anybody?  am suspecting that the gamersgate folks is also the same people who don't yet realize that pro wrestling is scripted.  

oh, we did think it were amusing that mr. blonde were surprised by the excess venom o' folks who would send dead animals and syringes to a journalist covering games.  am guessing he has never actual spoken with a big-time sports reporter, or national movie critic.  however, we thinks billy idol's love child were correct that games is indeed less serious than other categories o' journalistic coverage.  we wouldn't mind if gaming journalism grew up and became legit, but it is games we are talking 'bout and not war coverage or Presidential election coverage.  is games for chrissake.  while mr. blonde were clear missing the point, he actual made a valid one.... by accident.  

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I believe the politically correct term is "maroon". Source: Bugs Bunny.

I really do miss those cartoons, it's a crying shame that they're no longer played on television.

Edit: Are you and Mr Bartimaeus trying to confuse us, re the avatars.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Sepia is not black and white, thank you very much. :p More seriously, I did consider the fact that my avatar would seem somewhat similar to Amentep's avatars...but it is only temporary, like my avatars have been lately. Just a picture I came across that I thought was really cool...couldn't resist making an avatar out of it. :)

(e): Also, I actually don't think it works that well here on the Obsidian forums...at least for posts, that is. The max avatar size for posts is just not large enough to really work all that well with it...looks pretty good in my profile, I think, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

gaming journalism is an oxymoron... and we ain't lost a moment o' sleep over that fact.  we mention this once every six months or so, just for the hell of it.  find out that game journalists, glorified bloggers, is lacking professional ethics should surprise and offend anybody?  am suspecting that the gamersgate folks is also the same people who don't yet realize that pro wrestling is scripted.  

oh, we did think it were amusing that mr. blonde were surprised by the excess venom o' folks who would send dead animals and syringes to a journalist covering games.  am guessing he has never actual spoken with a big-time sports reporter, or national movie critic.  however, we thinks billy idol's love child were correct that games is indeed less serious than other categories o' journalistic coverage.  we wouldn't mind if gaming journalism grew up and became legit, but it is games we are talking 'bout and not war coverage or Presidential election coverage.  is games for chrissake.  while mr. blonde were clear missing the point, he actual made a valid one.... by accident.  

HA! Good Fun! 

Good post Gromnir, I hope everyone reads it and absorbs what you are saying  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

HA! Good Fun! 

Babysteps, baby. We all have to start somewhere.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sepia is not black and white, thank you very much. tongue.png More seriously, I did consider the fact that my avatar would seem somewhat similar to Amentep's avatars...but it is only temporary, like my avatars have been lately. Just a picture I came across that I thought was really cool...couldn't resist making an avatar out of it. original.gif

(e): Also, I actually don't think it works that well here on the Obsidian forums...at least for posts, that is. The max avatar size for posts is just not large enough to really work all that well with it...looks pretty good in my profile, I think, though.

Not to mention my avatar is facing the viewers right and yours the left - totally different!

Yeah finding that perfect picture that also scales just right at Avatar size isn't easy. I've ditched a lot of proposed avatars because they didn't look right at smaller sizes (so they were there for like seconds).

Its about time for me to change my avatar...hope that doesn't break when I try to upload one if I find a new one I like...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sepia is not black and white, thank you very much. :p More seriously, I did consider the fact that my avatar would seem somewhat similar to Amentep's avatars...but it is only temporary, like my avatars have been lately. Just a picture I came across that I thought was really cool...couldn't resist making an avatar out of it. :)

Sepia is not black and white, thank you very much. tongue.png More seriously, I did consider the fact that my avatar would seem somewhat similar to Amentep's avatars...but it is only temporary, like my avatars have been lately. Just a picture I came across that I thought was really cool...couldn't resist making an avatar out of it. original.gif

Not to mention my avatar is facing the viewers right and yours the left - totally different!

Yeah finding that perfect picture that also scales just right at Avatar size isn't easy. I've ditched a lot of proposed avatars because they didn't look right at smaller sizes (so they were there for like seconds).

Its about time for me to change my avatar...hope that doesn't break when I try to upload one if I find a new one I like...

Ah my apologies, it speaks to my own laziness that I identify either of you gentlemen at a glance rather than paying due attention.

Tea for the teapot!

Yeah, I've had a few that I just couldn't make work as well...

I wouldn't recommend trying to change it, given that it's still not working for me...but you can always create and use a gravatar account if so. ;)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

HA! Good Fun! 

Babysteps, baby. We all have to start somewhere.

agreed. even so, is difficult for us to take this all serious.  we got a where-have-you-been-for-the-past-three-decades pov that makes us see the present fury and angst as comical, but we do recognize that there isn't a good excuse for the sorry state o' game journalism.  if gamersgate fixes game journalism, then it ain't all bad.  even so, the feigned and genuine surprise at realization that game journalists ain't real journalists is... funny.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Anyone can be a knitter, knitting doesn't need you anymore. Knitters are over" 

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 6

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I believe I've pointed this out ad nauseum but the reason people freaked over this isn't because they were naive and didn't realize games media is bought and paid for by game developers. The reason people freaked out is because all of these subsequent scandals were regarding indie games - the one thing people did trust games media on because they couldn't pay for it. It makes sense that they don't bite the hand that feeds them. But there was a breach of trust, and then the people who felt their trust was breached were insulted.

Personally, I just want indie developers to get a fair shot at coverage because of the quality of their games and not because they suck up to a clique. Lord knows its harder than ever to get noticed out there with the pollution of steam greenlight and early access ruining consumer trust. If you rely on word of mouth alone to sell your quality product chances are you're going to go bankrupt before a large enough audience notices.

"Anyone can be a knitter, knitting doesn't need you anyone. Knitters are over" 

Hah, I'm in stitches over that one.  It's a good thing we have the Knitgaters to needle the journalist into ethical yarning.  We can't let them pull the wool over our eyes.

• Like 5

Awfully good play on words.

What I think is so fundamentally depressing for so many of us is the same groupthink we've seen so many times before, the same demonisation, the same moral panic and usually enacted by the same morally and ethically devoid individuals. This seems rather appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW-iPQzCfCU

Edit: Made five years ago or so, just for clarification.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 4

Tea for the teapot!

I believe I've pointed this out ad nauseum but the reason people freaked over this isn't because they were naive and didn't realize games media is bought and paid for by game developers. The reason people freaked out is because all of these subsequent scandals were regarding indie games - the one thing people did trust games media on because they couldn't pay for it. It makes sense that they don't bite the hand that feeds them. But there was a breach of trust, and then the people who felt their trust was breached were insulted.

Personally, I just want indie developers to get a fair shot at coverage because of the quality of their games and not because they suck up to a clique. Lord knows its harder than ever to get noticed out there with the pollution of steam greenlight and early access ruining consumer trust. If you rely on word of mouth alone to sell your quality product chances are you're going to go bankrupt before a large enough audience notices.

sorry, but you make the scenario more silly and not less.  is not that the furor were 'bout games, but the hullabaloo were all 'bout indie games?  

okie dokie.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"Anyone can be a knitter, knitting doesn't need you anyone. Knitters are over"

Hah, I'm in stitches over that one. It's a good thing we have the Knitgaters to needle the journalist into ethical yarning. We can't let them pull the wool over our eyes.

They've followed the loose threads to blanket corruption. Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands