What you did today

Blarghagh

I suspect Gfted's right. At least for one of the kids (group behavior being what it is, you'd only need one to potentially add that to the "group" thought process, I'd guess).

Its interesting but people are blaming the " moral state of society " and saying its things like the various TV channels and social media 

One "commentator " even said its because we teach evolution at schools  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A group of 8 and 9 year old boys have been arrested for raping a 6 year old girl in South Africa ...anyway its obviously caused much discussion and self reflection as people are asking " how could this happen " ...you won't believe some of the stupid comments 

But what do you guys think could cause people of this age to do this ?

Voodoo.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A group of 8 and 9 year old boys have been arrested for raping a 6 year old girl in South Africa ...anyway its obviously caused much discussion and self reflection as people are asking " how could this happen " ...you won't believe some of the stupid comments 

But what do you guys think could cause people of this age to do this ?

Voodoo.

:biggrin:

Well its true we do have people who believe in magic but its called Muti in South Africa

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Its pretty simple, kids mimic the grown ups in their social environment.

Well thats been one response but its highly unlikely these kids have seen there parents raping people ?

Show me where I said anything about their parents.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Well thats been one response but its highly unlikely these kids have seen there parents raping people ?

Oh I see..my bad

I doubt kids this age are seeing rape in front of them but I see your point. I assumed you meant there parents because thats what other people are saying 

John Milton 

I have a nook where my computer and bills are all set up, and I'd set it right there.

Good idea. Bills and alcohol go hand in hand.

I make cups of my bills and drown myself in Scotch, they should really be made of better paper.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I punch .458 caliber paper discs out of my bills to use them as wadding between the powder charge and the lead bullet (to protect its base from the heat). But thats just a cost saving measure because my bills are too damn high.

True story.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

Hello all. Just checking in... still alive and kicking!

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What are you kicking?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

GD " waves "   :dancing:  :dancing:

Where you been? Everyone said you had been arrested by the Feds ...we missed you  :biggrin:

John Milton 

What are you kicking?

I'd say a-- but it would be too obvious and not entirely true.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Where you been? Everyone said you had been arrested by the Feds ...we missed you  :biggrin:

Not an unlikely explanation. :lol:

I just disconnected from things for a while.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

What are you kicking?

Can we just say that you're sufficiently out of bubble gum?

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

What are you kicking?

Can we just say that you're sufficiently out of bubble gum?

That was a great line wasn't it? It's a shame that guy passed away a few weeks ago.

Thomas Sowell

GD I need to ask you something, what is your view on Trump?

We have been discussing him. Obviously I support the Democrats and Clinton but I am keen for your view ..please be detailed 

John Milton 

Today I was bored (lazy day) so for giggles I tried to find out what the max weight is I can shoulder press with one arm standing without using leg thrust or excessive leaning. I ended up with around 48 kilograms (105lbs), had I started with 48 I could have done 50, maybe 52 I think, but its really a lot of fun and relaxing to lift weights without pressure, time constraints or trying to squeeze out that damn last rep for once. 

DSCF29561_zpsjzn6hiln.jpg

What are you kicking?

I hope its not the bucket.  ;)

Edited by Woldan

GD I need to ask you something, what is your view on Trump?

We have been discussing him. Obviously I support the Democrats and Clinton but I am keen for your view ..please be detailed 

His sole purpose in running for President is self aggrandizement. I am shocked he's doing as well as he is but I think the heart of it is people on the right are just nauseated at the candidates the Republicans have run over the years. Even since George Bush I every republican candidate has been "big government democrat lite". If Mitt Romney had gotten as many republican votes as McCain did he's be president today. But when the choice comes down to left wing vs slightly less left wing you are not going to inspire a lot of people who might have supported a different candidate to go vote for you.

I find it puzzling that a lot of people who say they want smaller government and more freedom are supporting Trump. His political views over the years have been pretty much left of the half court line. I guessing as the field begins to narrow down his margin will shrink. It's not a certainty that the people supporting candidates other than Trump will not switch to him when their guy or girl drops out but I don't think they will. 

The short answer is he's in this for his own reasons, not for any desire to improve the country. And his support is far more of a protest vote than any real love for him. I wouldn't vote for him.  Just my $0.02

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Finally got my invite for Google's Project Fi but I'm not as sure that I want to switch now. It's way cheaper(about half the price) than what I pay now but I don't particularly like my Nexus 6 and that's the only phone it uses right now. Firstly, it's (Saab) friggen huge and secondly, see firstly. It's that big. It also burns through the battery like whatever analogy would make sense here to convey its short battery life.

The struggle is real

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Saab friggen? I'm familiar with the Saab Viggen, the Swedish military aircraft, but I have yet to discover its apparently much larger stablemate, the Saab Friggen. 

Today is welcome down time day. More Knights II and some precision ball striking on TV. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Finally got my invite for Google's Project Fi but I'm not as sure that I want to switch now. It's way cheaper(about half the price) than what I pay now but I don't particularly like my Nexus 6 and that's the only phone it uses right now. Firstly, it's (Saab) friggen huge and secondly, see firstly. It's that big. It also burns through the battery like whatever analogy would make sense here to convey its short battery life.

The struggle is real

Shady I never mentioned this before but I also own the new 3 series BWM but mine is 3 years old, anyway I am buying the new shape next month and the nice thing is for the first time in my life I am actually making some money on the trade-in. I did keep the KM fairly low 76,000 km but the point is BMW do retain value. So I did 22,000 KM each year which is good for Johannesburg standards 

John Milton 

I must tell you guys something, last weekend I went to this club and met this girl who I'll be honest I have never felt such a connection for so quickly. She was amazing, she understood me, turned my own jokes around on me very cleverly and had the most amazing personality ...like really sincere but not an angel. And yes I won't lie she was incredibly attractive 

Now I am a friendly guy and always  end up meeting people as I like chatting to strangers but I gave up years ago ever thinking I could meet a girl and feel that almost naive, idealistic butterfly feeling. And I have been fine with that as I considered that something that was only something that happened to teenagers 

Also the whole love thing was never something that particularly concerned me...I really like certain girls but not love. I told her that night that it felt like I had known her for years...this was not a line but the truth and she felt the same. Everything felt so natural ...I know this what most of you guys in relationships feel but its not normally my thing

Anyway her and her friend came back to my place afterwards and we chatted for hours and everything was going so well and she also likes to joke and she asked me a question where she basically said " if I told  you I wanted you  to meet a pretty friend of mine who was a little overweight what would you say " 

I thought I would be honest and I said " well I would rather be honest and say I'm not really into overweight girls " 

And that changed everything...her whole face changed and she really started asking me why I had a problem with overweight girls 

I thought honesty was the best approach and just said   " well I'm not attracted to them "  I really thought this was a reasonable answer 

And then she said to me " well I use to  be overweight so would you still have said you felt a connection to me last night if I was overweight " 

Now I realized why this whole thing was about sincerity ....so I couldnt tell the truth and I lied and said " its unfair to ask me that " 

So she said to me "well you are shallow " .....but I also didn't feel I could say that about myself just to please her as I  don't think I am shallow. Is not being  attracted to over weight girls shallow?  Surly its not ....I don't know 

So she left my house clearly upset but I was at a loss for words and thought its best I stop talking. My one couple friends explained to me why she was upset which I missed in the beginning. She use to be overweight and when I said I am not attracted to overweight girls she obviously took this personally as most women still see themselves as overweight or are sensitive about it 

So its ironic, all these debates I have in RL ...all this jokes I play and get played on...all these SJ revelations and friendships I have and yet I couldn't even say or think about the right thing to say to women that I REALLY liked 

I need to understand the lesson here ? What do you guys think it is?

John Milton