1up's Urquhart Feargus interview

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3134032

1UP: Is Obsidian looking at any other their past franchises to pick up, or do you have a full plate right now?

Urquhart: Right now we're pretty full-plate, but KOTOR II is about to wrap up, so we're looking for something else. There've been some big changes at LucasArts recently, so right now we're kind of in a state of flux over whether we'll work with them some more or not. Certainly we'd love to do a KOTOR III if they were interested in one. We've also been trying to talk LucasArts into the idea of making a Knights of the New Republic. That would be really cool; you could have cameos and everything. It's only been a year, essentially, between the two KOTORs, and I think it'll be important to do something new with the series......

....... I'd kind of like to do something set in the near future, too; a hardcore RPG set in the near future.

No after the movies.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

1UP: Is Obsidian looking at any other their past franchises to pick up, or do you have a full plate right now?

Urquhart: Right now we're pretty full-plate, but KOTOR II is about to wrap up, so we're looking for something else. There've been some big changes at LucasArts recently, so right now we're kind of in a state of flux over whether we'll work with them some more or not. Certainly we'd love to do a KOTOR III if they were interested in one. We've also been trying to talk LucasArts into the idea of making a Knights of the New Republic. That would be really cool; you could have cameos and everything. It's only been a year, essentially, between the two KOTORs, and I think it'll be important to do something new with the series......

....... I'd kind of like to do something set in the near future, too; a hardcore RPG set in the near future.

Great. More freaking sequals.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Weren't the Jedi Knight (and Dark forces)-series enough?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

....... I'd kind of like to do something set in the near future, too; a ######## RPG set in the near future.

Weren't the Jedi Knight (and Dark forces)-series enough?

Nah, that was a shoot 'em up and hack n slash game. A game set in the near future with more story would be welcome.

Hmmm Knights of the new republic, is that supposed to be set when the movies do?

There is no Republic during the movies. I'm assuming he means set at the New Jedi Order novels which means it's set 25 years after the movies.

If Lucasarts has any shred of decency they will NOT create a game in that time period. <_<

Hmmm Knights of the new republic, is that supposed to be set when the movies do?

There is no Republic during the movies. I'm assuming he means set at the New Jedi Order novels which means it's set 25 years after the movies.

If Lucasarts has any shred of decency they will NOT create a game in that time period. <_<

why not?

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

why not?

Because the NJO series = horse ****. Making a game in that time period is supporting it, which means Lucasarts must have some really drugged up employees........ :)

The Old Republic Timeline offers a LOT more variety than what happened after the movies. It's going to be a lot more constricted having to follow up the events of the movie, whereas 4000 years of buffer room before Episode I will grant the devs and story far greater freedom. I REALLY don't wanna see a New Republic Knights.

Because the NJO series = horse ****. Making a game in that time period is supporting it, which means Lucasarts must have some really drugged up employees........ :)

Maybe to you... but not all peple felt like you or belive that no game should be made after ROJ movie........

Like I said not all EU books were good....infact alot of them were bad or worse than JKO series.....

So again there is alot of room to expand and improve in this time frame..... An Rpg would do justice here and not twitch games......

The SW community is extremely divided when it comes to post-RotJ books and more specifically the NJO. I would really like to see a post-RotJ Knights. However, I would only be interested if either:

a - The game takes place in the timeframe used in the EU (20-25 after RotJ) but DOES NOT follow the Yuuzhan Vong storyline. Personally I can't stand that series more than any other EU series out there.

or

b - The game is set 1,000 to 4,000 years after RotJ when the Jedi are again numerous, there is the freedom to reinvent the SW universe (Like KotOR did), we can see descendants from the movie characters and still no Vong.

If the game is set up after the Vong story I (and many other SW gamers) won't even look at it.

thx for the info

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Something tells me that 4000 years after RotJ, the galaxy would be very similar to the Old Republic. The New Republic would grow, the empire would slowly errode away, and the Jedi would rise. To be quite frank, I wouldn't see a large difference between such a game and classic KotOR except for different ship designs.

Contrary to a few people in this thread, I'd welcome a game set in the post-RotJ era.

For those of you who didn't like the NJO, that won't affect the game or storyline in the least. The NJO will effect the story just as much as the Clone Wars novels are affecting KOTOR. In other words, they aren't.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Actually this game could prove to have a great story, It could take place on Yavin 4 amongst other planets where Luke skywalker trains Kyp Durron and when Exar Kun came back as Spirit and corrupted the jedi which brought dark jedi back into the problem, I foudn this info from the SW databank.