Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

I think its sad that people are going to buy Hatred just to annoy SJW and because the developers have positioned this game as "  we refuse to be politically correct, support us as you are making a stand against people telling us how we can have fun " 

I am also amazed how easily people are manipulated into buying into the Hatred narrative 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I am also amazed how easily people are manipulated into buying into the Hatred narrative 

The narrative was made by the journalists.

The journalists like to scream "Don't buy this sick filth! If you do you're a horrible person supporting horrible people!", so many journalists jump on this that the game gets a lot of exposure.

This was the wish of the developers in the first place. They now look like the radical rebel artists while the journos look like the town elders from Footloose.

This doesn't bother the journalists one bit. Their stirring has generated a controversy, and controversies cause clicks.

Hatred releases despite the wails of hipsters everywhere. It sells well despite the game's decidedly average nature.

Are journalists upset? No. Of course not. This gives them a chance to decry it even further, allowing them to strike while the iron is hot and the topic is buzzing, allowing them to reap more clicks.

The game subsequently sells enough to make it to the top of the Steam charts.

Whether people bought it because of bile fascination, to thumb their nose at social justice types or in an attempt to be edgy doesn't matter. They bought it because of the way it was portrayed by the media. This is the exact same scenario that served Grand Theft Auto and Postal so well in the past.

Despite these journalists and the Hatred developers expressing nothing but contempt for one another they form a mutually beneficial relationship.

• Like 2

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

The journalists like to scream "Don't buy this sick filth! If you do you're a horrible person supporting horrible people!", so many journalists jump on this that the game gets a lot of exposure.

This was the wish of the developers in the first place. They now look like the radical rebel artists while the journos look like the town elders from Footloose.

This doesn't bother the journalists one bit. Their stirring has generated a controversy, and controversies cause clicks.

Hatred releases despite the wails of hipsters everywhere. It sells well despite the game's decidedly average nature.

Are journalists upset? No. Of course not. This gives them a chance to decry it even further, allowing them to strike while the iron is hot and the topic is buzzing, allowing them to reap more clicks.

Whether people bought it because of bile fascination, to thumb their nose at social justice types or in an attempt to be edgy doesn't matter. They bought it because of the way it was portrayed by the media. This is the exact same scenario that served Grand Theft Auto and Postal so well in the past.

Despite these journalists and the Hatred developers expressing nothing but contempt for one another they form a mutually beneficial relationship.

You raise some relevant points and some humorous ones ... "  despite the wails of hipsters everywhere "    :lol:

Are you going to buy Hatred, who is going to buy Hatred on these forums? No judgement I am just interested in who will be buying the game and the reason why ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You raise some relevant points and some humorous ones ... "  despite the wails of hipsters everywhere "    :lol:

Are you going to buy Hatred, who is going to buy Hatred on these forums? No judgement I am just interested in who will be buying the game and the reason why ?

No. I will not.

I've watched videos of it, and aside from a nice art-style and a very good looking destruction and physics engine the game looks deadly dull.

I'll fight for Hatred's right to exist and be sold, but I won't bother sitting through a tedious experience just for the sake of it or to thumb my nose at pearlclutchers.

However, the developers have shown themselves to be technically competent and not adverse to controversy, so I'll keep an eye out for their next game now that they've gotten a bunch of funding for it from Hatred's sales.

Hopefully their next game will have more to recommend it beyond an edgelord concept.

• Like 1

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

No. I will not.

I've watched videos of it, and aside from a nice art-style and a very good looking destruction and physics engine the game looks deadly dull.

I'll fight for Hatred's right to exist and be sold, but I won't bother sitting through a tedious experience just for the sake of it or to thumb my nose at pearlclutchers.

However, the developers have shown themselves to be technically competent and not adverse to controversy, so I'll keep an eye out for their next game now that they've gotten a bunch of funding for it from Hatred's sales.

Hopefully their next game will have more to recommend it beyond an edgelord concept.

This is a very good post because you have given logical and reasonable reasons for not wanting buy Hatred 

You are not basing your decision on some misplaced ideological crusade 

John Milton 

This is a very good post because you have given logical and reasonable reasons for not wanting buy Hatred 

You are not basing your decision on some misplaced ideological crusade 

I honestly would buy the game if it looked like any attempted censorship of it might have had some weight, but the game coming out as-is in most areas was a forgone conclusion from the beginning.

Well, I did hear Australia and Germany aren't selling it, but that's hardly surprising.

Not interested really, Hotline Miami looks more fun.

But i do enjoy when moral crusaders fall flat on their faces. Like the whole "video violence" and "parental advisority"-stickers in the '80s and now this with the journalists themselves looking like grumpy old men complaining about lose women. Just wonderful to witness.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You raise some relevant points and some humorous ones ... "  despite the wails of hipsters everywhere "   

laughing.gif

I might get it, can be fun to slaughter people after work. Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'll probably pick it up on a sale...like I did with most things I have a passing interest in.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

http://tiredoldhack.com/2015/06/01/an-open-letter-to-journalists-who-dont-give-a-****/

Response to the dreary Polygon-article about Rock Band 4

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Don't think it was a quote, but from the reports on them being Nazis, the fuss when the trailer came out you certainly get the sense they were trying to convey that. Sure got their comment sections moving.

Also, that was a great preview at Polygon, was he trying to be witty ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Yikes, the guy even talked about going on a school shooting spree.  

Having been an angry/semi-suicidal teenager who got threatened with being arrested for "Terrorist threats" I'm happy about the SCOTUS ruling.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yikes, the guy even talked about going on a school shooting spree.  

He was a douche, yes. But let douches say douchey things without making it into a trial.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

And from the other side... - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/06/02/the-supreme-court-just-made-the-web-even-more-hostile-for-women/

Not too sure why it makes the Internet unsafe for women rather than everyone.

I think the Supreme Court made a mistake, there has to be consequences for that kind of threatening behavior. As the women in the video said this is a blow to the rights of abused women who now could face  similar vitriol and worry about  being able to legally challenge it  

John Milton 

And from the other side... - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/06/02/the-supreme-court-just-made-the-web-even-more-hostile-for-women/

Errr...its probably got to do with the fact women are the victims of more abuse than men on the Internet 

John Milton 

I think the Supreme Court made a mistake, there has to be consequences for that kind of threatening behavior. As the women in the video said this is a blow to the rights of abused women who now could face similar vitriol and worry about being able to legally challenge it

Shocking. Probably do need consequences, but I think the court was saying you need more evidence than just someone saying it is threatening. Throwing people in jail is serious business, right.

Edited by Malcador

Errr...its probably got to do with the fact women are the victims of more abuse than men on the Internet 

Not really.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2733071/Men-twice-abuse-women-Twitter-ones-trolling.html

I think the Supreme Court made a mistake, there has to be consequences for that kind of threatening behavior. As the women in the video said this is a blow to the rights of abused women who now could face similar vitriol and worry about being able to legally challenge it

Shocking. Probably do need consequences, but I think the court was saying you need more evidence than just someone saying it is threatening. Throwing people in jail is serious business, right.

In my humble opinion, the judge realized that "muh feelz" as a base for harassment charges is not beneficial for anyone.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

The punishment is worse than the crime, and I don't mean for the guy in the story, for the whole of society. People should be able to comunicate whatever twisted **** they want provided it's not an overt threat to hurt a particular person, most importanlty this is something that requires finesse and judgement on a case basis. The law is much too narrow a tool to make that determination. 

Who really wants to live in society where everyone is afraid to say what they really think. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

As I understand it, the guy was convicted under the test that recognizing the words as a threat was something a "reasonable" person would do.  But that as a test could remove the words from any potential context they might have. Context is always important. "I kill you? I kill everyone!" might be a threat...but probably isn't if it was proceeded by something like "Man, you're hilarious - you kill me!"

In this case - and again as I understand it - the guy clearly marked on his posts in ways that would provide different context for what he wrote (some sort of Free Speech disclaimer).

So what I gather reading about this decision isn't that you can post anything online without consequence, but the words themselves are not enough to convict - you have to provide intent.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It is more of a red flag that the guy needs help.  I agree that sending him to prison serves no one.  But really it's just another sad indication of how feeble our mental health care industry is.

It is more of a red flag that the guy needs help.  I agree that sending him to prison serves no one.  But really it's just another sad indication of how feeble our mental health care industry is.

Regardless of whether this guy needs mental health care or not, I think its true we don't do a good job with mental health issues here in the US.

EDIT: I do think there will always be certain limits we have to our ability to deal with mental health issues from a cultural standpoint.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man