1.05 (Beta) Changelog Discussion

Even the indie scene doesn't really have many hardcore role playing games anymore.

Anybody play Realms of Arkania? Not the buggy new one, but the 2D one from 1991? I could use some of the elements from that game in this. But a game like that would bankrupt the company.

• Like 1

It's good to criticize things you love.

I did.

And I hated the massively casualised RoA2: you could pick up an item in your inventory and draw it onto another character in your party to transfer it!

In RoA1, you had to right click the item, choose "give to", and then pick the target character out of the list - you know, as real RPGs do it: maximal inconvenience for minimal effect.

:getlost:

We're not talking about gameplay features here. We're talking about visual indicators of what quality an item is. Like, you know, displaying its name in a tool tip. Or having an icon of it showing whether it's an axe or a potion. Surely, that's dumbing down at its finest. :banghead:

Edited by Varana
  • Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Hey, we're on the OE-boards here... where looting more than 1 body at a time is something that needs to be sabled down with RIGHTEOUS POWER straight away. Since it was somehow bad. Me, 8m area loot and never looking back.

Personally don't really see this patch being all too big as promised. Rather hate the 'reset teammate' option. If you want a blank slate we got adventurer's at every inn. Why need to make our teammates too? Isn't them beiing pre-made part of their charm? Deal with what you get rather than get whatever you want, no matter if it makes sense with the character?

Don't really know items, spells and etcetra by name to comment on all balance changes. Bug fixes are good obviously, as always. Guess I just expected... more?

Or am I being too harsh/unrealistic?

Maybe PoE is so bugless that it needs such small patches and then call it big? If so, a lot of people on this forum are lying to me about bugginess...

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I did.

And I hated the massively casualised RoA2: you could pick up an item in your inventory and draw it onto another character in your party to transfer it!

In RoA1, you had to right click the item, choose "give to", and then pick the target character out of the list - you know, as real RPGs do it: maximal inconvenience for minimal effect.

:getlost:

We're not talking about gameplay features here. We're talking about visual indicators of what quality an item is. Like, you know, displaying its name in a tool tip. Or having an icon of it showing whether it's an axe or a potion. Surely, that's dumbing down at its finest. :banghead:

Do you equip every shiny new thing before you read it to know what it does? Do you need to have something that says "This is better than that thing you have". Heaven forbid they introduce cursed items...

You don't even have to identify it, just read the text it's not hard.

Edited by Dadalama
  • Like 1

You do realise that it's not for the moment when you pick it up, but for the moment three hours later when you scroll through the stash at the merchant to decide what to sell and what not?

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

You do realise that it's not for the moment when you pick it up, but for the moment three hours later when you scroll through the stash at the merchant to decide what to sell and what not?

That's what sorting is for. And icons. And names. And the bonuses.

The infinite stash was a bad idea from the start, but since it's existence is chiselled in stone, I'd be hard pressed to say anything but hallelujah to the sorting.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Think of the poor peasants, the infinite stash took away one of their major tools of survival. Battlefield scavenging.

That 36 copper you got for that armor (that your enemy probably released bowels into because that's what happens when you kill a dude) you pried from that corpse could feed a family of 6 for a night. That disgusting bloody sword you pried from their fingers can spring for Rautai cookies for the kids. All of it just went safely in that Tardis you carry around dooming them to another night of starvation. Where do you even put that stash?

• Like 2

Two most important things:

- bug fixes

- better modding

Balance changes are a distant third. Modders could fix balance and add content faster than Obsidian could ever hope, if Obsidian would but open the door.

- bug fixes

- better modding

Balance changes are a distant third. Modders could fix balance and add content faster than Obsidian could ever hope, if Obsidian would but open the door.

I can only hope, but I think it will be difficult due to the way the project uses Unity.

- bug fixes

- better modding

Balance takes precedence over everything else... unless there's a twitter campaign about a poem then that takes precedence.

• Like 3

Why fix balance if the community would do it for you? Not to mention there is almost certainly more than one enjoyable, extremely balanced design possible, each with its own target demographic?

Mods. They are awesome. Hell, why even be a single-player computer game otherwise?

Edited by scrotiemcb

Why fix balance if the community would do it for you? Not to mention there is almost certainly more than one enjoyable, extremely balanced design possible, each with its own target demographic?

Mods. They are awesome. Hell, why even be a single-player computer game otherwise?

Because the community shouldn't have to do it. You could just as well apply that line of thinking to bugfixing, because hey, community patches!

I like mods, but I want a consistent gaming experience, and mods usually end up being arbitrary messes of odd mechanics and decisions that doesn't mesh with the functionality of the rest of the game. That being said, Obsidian doesn't really seem to care about consistency issues either, so I'm not sure what is better or worse.

Sufficient to say, "better modding" is an extremely hard thing to do. The game is actually already quite moddable, if you jump through the hoops. Even if they'd externalize all the .cs files for you, it's still not an easy game to mod. I propose you take a look at the files. It's.. dense. And it won't be fixed, because that's how Unity works.

t50aJUd.jpg

I wish they add the option to hide helmet.

there's a console command for this. And no it doesn't disable achievements. It's just lacking the UI to be used in settings.

Does 1.05 fix the personal record loss when you remove a companion from the party ?

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Does 1.05 fix the personal record loss when you remove a companion from the party ?

'Party member stats on the character sheet will now show properly if the companion is removed and re-added from the stronghold.'

i guess that would be that

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

doubt it, since it hasnt been in beta that long, and there hasnt been any change in patch notes (for 1.04 they changed twice)

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

I am sad the patch notes said nothing about fixing No AI option. When I turn off AI I want it to stop finding new targets after it killed its current one until I give it a new target.

Also please fix pathfinding during combat. Let characters squeeze between two allied characters easier.

Hey, we're on the OE-boards here... where looting more than 1 body at a time is something that needs to be sabled down with RIGHTEOUS POWER straight away. Since it was somehow bad. Me, 8m area loot and never looking back.

You didn't have a hand in this, did you (just in case : I'm kidding)?

Rather hate the 'reset teammate' option. If you want a blank slate we got adventurer's at every inn. Why need to make our teammates too? Isn't them beiing pre-made part of their charm? Deal with what you get rather than get whatever you want, no matter if it makes sense with the character?

That's only interesting when they go all the way and really limits your ability to customize your companions even after you get them. Think Planescape : Torment or most JRPGs out there.

Or am I being too harsh/unrealistic?

What were you expecting?

Balance takes precedence over everything else... unless there's a twitter campaign about a poem then that takes precedence.

You, sir, are obsessed and should let go.
  • Like 1

I like mods, but I want a consistent gaming experience, and mods usually end up being arbitrary messes of odd mechanics and decisions that doesn't mesh with the functionality of the rest of the game. That being said, Obsidian doesn't really seem to care about consistency issues either, so I'm not sure what is better or worse.

Sufficient to say, "better modding" is an extremely hard thing to do. The game is actually already quite moddable, if you jump through the hoops. Even if they'd externalize all the .cs files for you, it's still not an easy game to mod. I propose you take a look at the files. It's.. dense. And it won't be fixed, because that's how Unity works.

The basic game code loop is entirely alien to Unity ... if it's spaghetti it's because Obsidian made pasta.

I wish they add the option to hide helmet.

there's a console command for this. And no it doesn't disable achievements. It's just lacking the UI to be used in settings.

May i know what's the command for it? Still making that an option in UI wouldn't be a very big task if you ask me. But thanks. If i can just disable them via console, it will do.

Edit

Just found the command. Thanks for the heads up though.

Edited by Archaven

Yeah, I'm kinda fed up with this game. I've been disappointed one too many times. In my first playthrough as my DPS paladin in hard mode, I  first had to stop and wait for a fix after learning the stat inflation bug. After it arrived and I resumed my game I got bored to death because the paladin class was one of the worst paladin designs I've ever seen (just 1 attack ability lmao). That coupled with the fact that chapter 3 was weak and seemed really rushed. Also there was zero challenge and I was steamrolling groups with my party (and epic autoattack paladin lol) at that point.

I was really sad as I waited for the game for so long and was actually loved the overall design and feel of the game (dialogue, music, background). I could list 100 negative points, but still the game was special for me. After some time I decided to give it a second go, and went PotD cipher. I had a blast so far... and then mid game (near chapter 3) these patch notes are announced.

My PotD cipher was a dual wielding build, focusing on generating focus from fast attacks. I got the two weapon style and draining whip (+2 focus per hit) and Ruffian weapon perk to dual wield stilettos (even got them enchanted). It was a very challenging style as you had to be very careful since he was extremely squishy but very deadly - a very fun glass cannon.

In the patch notes it's written: "Draining Whip is now working as intended." 

In the beta Draining whip is changed to "increases Focus gain by 33%"

It looks almost as if they were too embarassed to state it in the patch notes. This and reducing starting focus from 1/2 of max to 1/4 of max... I mean why go so f*cking hard? Why not 1/3?

It's not the nerfs that I care about. It's that if such HUGE changes were required, why did they release it that way? These are not minor tweaks, it RUINED my build midgame. I do not want to use the cheat engine so I'll just continue in this f*cked up state (if I will have the will to). Good job really.