Mechanics: How much is enough?

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this questions has been answered. I am going through the Endless paths and I am on level 8. 10 Mechanics seems to be enough to disarm "Gaze of the Adragon" traps, but found some things I still cannot disarm. With other skills (excepts stealth) you get a good indicator of what you skill can do for you (cast level X scrolls) but I don't know what level I want to be able to disarm to get the hardest locks and traps in the game. 

TIA :)

6ej155.jpg

For mechanics I was able to complete the game, without too much difficulty, with a 7. I did skip the Endless Paths. If you are running them, get Mechanics up to

9 and bring some mechanic boosting scrolls. The highest door you'll find is 12 but it isn't really worth it to bring the skill that high just for one door.

For reference, I've seen it said that if you open one of the chest's in Raedric's room on the 17th of any month (due to the way the loot table works), it'll have a pair of gloves that give you +2 mechanics. If you have those, you can modify any of the above answers to suit.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

For reference, I've seen it said that if you open one of the chest's in Raedric's room on the 17th of any month (due to the way the loot table works), it'll have a pair of gloves that give you +2 mechanics. If you have those, you can modify any of the above answers to suit.

Dammit... I wish I'd known that. Still looking for those gloves in my playthrough.

I like the random loot in general, but honestly those gloves should be guaranteed to be obtained at some point in the game. They're too important for finding other stuff, and it's too big of a bonus to hand out based on RNG.

Yes, I'm sore that my roommate got them on lvl 5 of the endless paths and I still haven't found them partway through act 2. ;P

• Like 1

Dammit... I wish I'd known that. Still looking for those gloves in my playthrough.

I like the random loot in general, but honestly those gloves should be guaranteed to be obtained at some point in the game. They're too important for finding other stuff, and it's too big of a bonus to hand out based on RNG.

Yes, I'm sore that my roommate got them on lvl 5 of the endless paths and I still haven't found them partway through act 2. ;P

I believe they also show up in Lle a Rhemen on day 11. Mind you, both of these statements are hearsay as far as I'm concerned - I haven't had a chance to check either yet.

But yes, I agree with you entirely that these gloves should be guaranteed. Honestly, I'd rather the loot were constant but randomly distributed, as per the Item Randomiser mod for BG2.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

for priests, no amount o' mechanics is ever enough.  go figure.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gah, see its things like this that should be more apparent to the player. Perfect example of this is 2nd floor of catacombs, I always find something very nice in there, whether I can use it or not and its frustrating when you cant reload to find a better item :)

Never needed those gloves. Skill points are plentiful and as long as you have at least 3 party members you should be able to spare one guy to go up to 9 or 10, which is enough for almost everything.

Gah, see its things like this that should be more apparent to the player. Perfect example of this is 2nd floor of catacombs, I always find something very nice in there, whether I can use it or not and its frustrating when you cant reload to find a better item :)

It's a random loot table. Players aren't meant to know exactly how it works and to incessantly rest and reload.

• Like 1