[Maybe Spoiler] Cail the Sinder

After several attempts at this fight, always boiling down to everyone alive but short of spells by the time all the adds are dealt with, and having Cail kill everyone off one by one while my party manages nothing but constant grazes, I finally put this drake down.

And there was no real reward, neither on the monsters themselves or in the treasure behind them? Just a handful of copper (240) and a few enchantment gems.

I am sooo disappointed.  ;(

Edit: Just occurred to me to ask, as well. Given how grueling this fight was for me, what can I do to raise my accuracy? There are so many effects that don't stack with one another, while other ones do, that I'm at a bit of a loss as to which buffs/debuffs to use. I noticed, at least according to my active effects list in-game, that Bless' accuracy boost doesn't stack with Zealous Focus, for example. 

Edited by 0rangekun
  • Like 1

That's the one in the lava cave right? I recently did that one, but cheesed the hell out of it. I basically just spammed Kana summoning Wisps over and over again, getting like 2-10 damage in for every time I summoned the wisps, all the while my party was chilling out outside of the combat range.

Also you need to kill it for the quest, and I think there's some nice bracers or something in a nearby chest... There's also a trapped chest, not sure what's inside there because I didntnwant to set it off, gotta go get my mechanics slave to open it :)

More details here: ( it may have glitches my game for a sec, and I think I got the drakes name wrong lol)

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76823-enemies-frozen-on-the-spot/?do=findComment&comment=1660964

It's a lava cave, yes. I didn't get any bracers, though turning in the quest did award me with a flail that's not too shabby. Alas, none of my party is talented for flails, but I'm early enough in the game that having a +8 accuracy weapon makes up for it.

The trapped chest (assuming I'm thinking of the same one as you) just had a pittance of copper and a few gems inside, nothing fancy. I set off the trap accidentally, but was fortunate enough that it missed.

Altogether not terrible, but considering the last time I had such a difficult, fun time fighting a dragon was in Baldur's Gate 2, receiving a flail with some generic enchantments doesn't quite compete with getting a +5 Holy Avenger.

This is the drawback of random loot. I found a Superb (+12 accuracy, x1.45 damage) Great Sword with some other properties (Wounding, I think) in that cave which I promptly handed to Pallegina. Also, that critter felt like an overgrown Drake rather than a Dragon. The Dragons are nasty.

I don't think that sword is random loot.

OP: There's a trapped piece of the treasury containing... nothing too exciting for killing a dragon. But very close to it there's a hidden container with an awesome sword in it. I'm not sure what mechanics skill you need to find it, so if you can't, come back later (and remember search mode obviously).

The reason you need a high mechanics skill to find a sword in a giant pile of money is that your party wouldn't dream of simply looting all the money and discovering the weapon in the process.

(edited out pointless spoiler)

Edited by omgFIREBALLS
  • Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Oh, there's a hidden lootbox in there? Interesting, I'll have to swing back a bit later.

I didn't know the game had any random loot, frankly, regardless of whether or not the sword in question here is. Like, I knew some loot was random, but I thought it was just crafting materials, i.e. an ooze sometimes drops its craft material, sometimes doesn't.

This is the drawback of random loot. I found a Superb (+12 accuracy, x1.45 damage) Great Sword with some other properties (Wounding, I think) in that cave which I promptly handed to Pallegina. Also, that critter felt like an overgrown Drake rather than a Dragon. The Dragons are nasty.

Overgrown drake? Way to make me feel like a scrub.  ;(

Edited by 0rangekun

with the strategy you were using, you're probably better off using a phantom instead of the wisps, and hope for some stuns.

that said, blizzard works wonders in that cave.  several ways to get access to that spell, including using Hiravias.

curious... think I was level 7 at least when I hit that cave, what level were your guys?  I got hit by a fireblast, but nothing major, don't recall it being that tough of a fight, even on hard.

I can imagine it being a lot tougher if I was level 5 though.

I don't think that sword is random loot.

OP: There's a trapped piece of the treasury containing... nothing too exciting for killing a dragon. But very close to it there's a hidden container with an awesome sword in it. I'm not sure what mechanics skill you need to find it, so if you can't, come back later (and remember search mode obviously).

The reason you need a high mechanics skill to find a sword in a giant pile of money is that your party wouldn't dream of simply looting all the money and discovering the weapon in the process.

(edited out pointless spoiler)

Tidefall. One of the best weapons in the game, a badass Great Sword. I believe you need a mechanics of 9 to find it.

with the strategy you were using, you're probably better off using a phantom instead of the wisps, and hope for some stuns.

that said, blizzard works wonders in that cave. several ways to get access to that spell, including using Hiravias.

curious... think I was level 7 at least when I hit that cave, what level were your guys? I got hit by a fireblast, but nothing major, don't recall it being that tough of a fight, even on hard.

I can imagine it being a lot tougher if I was level 5 though.

I think I was level 6 when I did it. I think I cheesed it just for the fun of exploiting, and because Eder was pretty close to maimed at that point and I'm too cheap to use my supplies unless I REALLY need to. Also I'm not very good at allocating my skills and combat, so I wasn't very prepared to begin with; when I entered the cave I just kept telling myself: "please don't be a boss fight, please don't be a boss fight..."

I was thinking I wish I had a different summon lol, but all I had was skeletons and wisps. I tried the skeletons for one wave but they did even less damage, so I just went back to Wisps. I even tried using the share the pain cipher spell on the wisps a few times to try and speed things up a bit while remaining safe.

• 2 years later...

Current Squadron:

• Durance
  • Aloth
  • Grieving Mother
  • Kana
  • Sagani (and Itumaak obviously)
  • My own Nature Godlike Druid.

I was level 6 when I did this and man was it something. His Xaurip minions were practically curbstomped and since I was a Druid (named Ivitae if you care), and since I was with the grieving mother, and Kana I constantly manipulated his drake minions into distracting him and destroying each with a combination of Control Beasts, Whispers of Treason, and The Lover Cried out to the Beloved, "I am Yours!". His forces were too few and having one of is more powerful minions turn against him was too much for his other forces to handle. By the end of the fight I and Durance were both unconscious and my other companions were just shooting at Cail with arrows, bullets and magic while he was forced to deal with the skeletons from Kana's "If their Bones Sleep Still Under that Hill, None Can Say". 

In fact that enounter has TOO much loot for its ease.  Tidefall is one of the BEST if not the best 2handed sword in the game and you can get it by lvl 6 or 7.  Look at the gold pile in the back of the room and have a mechanics of 9 or better.  You wont be disappointed.  The random loot is in the northeast corner and is random.  Tidefall is not its in the west/southwest corner.

PS the best thing about this game is that bosses can be focused.  Dont treat Cail like an MMO boss where you focus his adds first.  They die for me because they take AOE damage but I CC the hell out of Cail and with the right combo hes usually the first one dead.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Actually you need mechnics 10. You can also get Boots of Speed from that random loot spot. This is the earliest point where you can get those I think. Boots of Speed are a very potent item as well.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Actually you need mechnics 10. You can also get Boots of Speed from that random loot spot. This is the earliest point where you can get those I think. Boots of Speed are a very potent item as well.

You can't get the boots here (unless it was changed with the last patch). The earliest spot is in Dyrford Ruins (you can go there just after killing Maerwald) and can be obtained without fight with high enough stealth & mechanics.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for the info.

I recall that I got them in one of my earliest playthroughs. Version 1.x.

Because I seldomly use the random loot table (only when doing ToI) I assumed that I just missed them since then. But apparently that was changed quite a long time ago without noticing me. Or I'm confusing something. Might also be the case.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods