Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Russia declares war on memes

Memes Russia

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3020 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
https://archive.today/l4m3N

They say it's now illegal to use celebrities photographs in a meme when it has nothing to do with the celebrities' personality.

Screen-Shot-2015-04-09-at-10.35.34-PM-80

Edited by KaineParker, 14 April 2015 - 08:54 AM.

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

They say it's now illegal to use celebrities photographs in a meme when it has nothing to do with the celebrities' personality.

Yeah I saw this on another website, its just example of the Putin regime clamping down on freedom of speech and expression in Russia 

cirdanx

cirdanx

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Steam:cirdanx

Yeah I saw this on another website, its just example of the Putin regime clamping down on freedom of speech and expression in Russia 

Oh well, i don´t think he really needs that considering his high approval raitings with the population. ;)

Also it has nothing to do with him, the backstory on this is here: http://www.vocativ.c...eSpeed=noscript

If anyone cares, i dont really *shrug*

Longknife

Longknife

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Lucky Milhouse. He's not a meme.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh well, i don´t think he really needs that considering his high approval raitings with the population. wink.png

putin-rig-elections.jpg

• Monte Carlo, Raithe, BruceVC and 2 others like this

cirdanx

cirdanx

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Steam:cirdanx

Oh well, i don´t think he really needs that considering his high approval raitings with the population. wink.png

putin-rig-elections.jpg

I knew something like this would come up, not dissapointed :p

Valsuelm

Valsuelm

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh well, i don´t think he really needs that considering his high approval raitings with the population. ;)

Also it has nothing to do with him, the backstory on this is here: http://www.vocativ.c...eSpeed=noscript

If anyone cares, i dont really *shrug*

Raining on Bruce's anti Putin parade again are you?

That's actually an interesting case, and I don't necessarily see anything wrong with it if applied well. I can't read Russian so I can't check on the finer points of the legal matter. But there certainly are legitimate issues raised.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2644 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Meh, that [gfted1's pic] at least should be banned for crimes against photoshopping. Sloppy and lazy, incorrectly apportioned, poor lighting match, obvious quality variance, cut and paste artefacts. It makes my eyes bleed (mission accomplished?)

OTOH Putin riding bear and Putin riding dinosaur never get old and are rather good, technically. Or maybe they aren't actually 'shopped; who knows with Putin.

Edited by Zoraptor, 14 April 2015 - 02:18 PM.

• Monte Carlo likes this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9062 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I like the one where he's riding a Ritz cracker. Don't ask me why, I don't know why, I just do.

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

putin-rig-elections.jpg

:lol:

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5009 posts

I see no problem here then - Putin is living in a fantasy world .. I think these shops are a perfect reflection of his personality.

• Walsingham likes this

Valsuelm

Valsuelm

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I see no problem here then - Putin is living in a fantasy world .. I think these shops are a perfect reflection of his personality.

Na... they're much more a reflection of the person who made them, as is usually the case with any art.

Of all the 'world leaders' out there, Putin is one of the most down to earth. He just cultivates his personality in a manner that some may find amusing, but quite a lot of people fall for. He probably does it better than anyone else on the 'world leader' stage right now. As with any cult of personality, the fantasy world lies with the cult and those focused on it, not necessarily the personality. If you actually think Putin is living in a fantasy world, you would likely be surprised just how many popular personalities put on an act when they walk onto any stage or into any spotlight (or perhaps you're just bamboozled like the General). For the successful, the answer is: Most. Of course many of these folks let it all go to their head (ie: Sean Hannity, Howard Stern), or were nuts to begin with (ie: Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi). I've never seen evidence that Putin's let it go to his head or that he's nuts. All evidence points to very intelligent, pragmatic, down to earth, and ruthless man

RedCat

RedCat

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 0 posts

As usual, they tried to smash a mosquito but used a club so broked a jaw while doing it.

But what not mentioned in the article is that there is actually 3 main points of the law they try to pass:

Law of violation of using personal data of public persons:

1. To make fake account using a public person identity (name,foto, birthdate, position etc.)

2. To create a fake website about public person and its professional and social activity.

3. Using a foto of a public person as representation of a popular internet meme not related to a persona of that public person.

Sorry for the rough translation.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1367 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

so, they pass a new law because of a butthurt celebrity. that's so common, it wouldn't even make it in the news in the US and many other western countries

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

so, they pass a new law because of a butthurt celebrity. that's so common, it wouldn't even make it in the news in the US and many other western countries

I must be misunderstanding, are you saying this type of event, which is clamping down on freedom of expression , is common in Western countries?

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3020 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

They'll take my memes from my cold dead hands.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I must be misunderstanding, are you saying this type of event, which is clamping down on freedom of expression , is common in Western countries?

I think he means celebrity images being co-opted into memes is so common, the fact that one was made and a celebrity didn't like it wouldn't make the news.
  • BruceVC likes this

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think he means celebrity images being co-opted into memes is so common, the fact that one was made and a celebrity didn't like it wouldn't make the news.

You clever Amentep, I think that is exactly what he meant. It makes sense  :thumbsup:

Valsuelm

Valsuelm

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

In case it's completely missed you, which it seems to have done, the issue is not merely about 'freedom of expression'. There are other issues at play. Libel and fraud being two of them, both of which are recognized in western law (to varying degrees depending on where you live).

As I said before, I can't read Russian so can't get at the finer points of the law, but as it's been represented, there actually may be little wrong with it, and very well might even stand up as a law in the U.S.. We have legislation on the books in regards to Libel and Fraud already, which, situationally could apply to memes. The thing about memes in the U.S. though is that it would generally be hard to prove who was responsible for it, one meme alone isn't usually damaging, and the people behind most of them are idiots without much money, so a civil suit is almost never going to be feasible because of these and other factors.

Edited by Valsuelm, 15 April 2015 - 11:08 AM.

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4358 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

In case it's completely missed you, which it seems to have done, the issue is not merely about 'freedom of expression'. There are other issues at play. Libel and fraud being two of them, both of which are recognized in western law (to varying degrees depending on where you live).

As I said before, I can't read Russian so can't get at the finer points of the law, but as it's been represented, there actually may be little wrong with it, and very well might even stand up as a law in the U.S.. We have legislation on the books in regards to Libel and Fraud already, which, situationally could apply to memes. The thing about memes though is that it would generally be hard to prove who was responsible for it, one meme alone isn't usually damaging, and the people behind most of them are idiots without much money, so a civil suit is rarely going to be feasible because of these and other factors.

So you support this move in Russia ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Memes, Russia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users