I've almost finished a play through with a wizard (I'm on level 12 anyway). And I think I must finally admit, Ciphers are more useful in terms of spells (I was in denial for a while).

Here's how I see it:

Level 1 is great.

Fan of Flames does decent damage and Slicken and Chill Cloud are both great for supporting rogues and sneak attacks.

Level 2 is okay.

The best spell seems to be Fetid Carcass, since after Petrify, Paralyze is the best status effect to score crits. I suppose Necrotic Lance is okay for a single target attack spell.

Level 3 is great again!

On this level you get distant AOE attacks like Fireball and Noxious Burst. For the first time, you can just stand back and lob spells without worrying too much about hitting your people.

Level 4 feels a little lacking.

It contains the wizards only summon spell Essential Phantom, which is nice, but it might have been more fun if the phantom used the same weapon as the wizard. Fire Wall's damage is tiny which really makes me feel that level 4 lacks a good damaging spell. There's a bunch of defensive stuff, but I mostly use arcane veil in a pinch, so that's not great.

Level 5 is good.

Blast of Frost has great damage and became my primary attack spell in the last part of the game (it can do 100 damage with a good roll)...

Torrent of Flame is kind of fun as a defensive spell. When lots of enemies are crowding around you, you can let it rip. The others don't really stand out for me.

Level 6 is okay and yet somehow I was hoping for more.

The petrify spell (Gaze of the Adragan) is great.

Death Ring feels cool as an Armageddon kind of spell, but the range is so vast that you always hit your own people so...

Citzal's Martial Power is a typical "change wizard into fighter" which I guess is interesting though I don't use it much.

Arkemyr's Capricious Hex seems strange... why use a random spell when you have other spells that always work perfectly? Couldn't this have been on a lower level?

Thoughts?

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

I think it's because you are building your Wizard as only an AOE caster that you find their spell selection lacking.

Wizards also boasts the best self-buffs in the game compared to the other casters (only the Priest even comes close and you're better off just using those buffs on your tank anyway) and can stay at a consistent level of effectiveness throughout the game instead of sucking early on then becomes great once level 9 hits like the Priest or the Druid or blowing through their focus early on in the fight like the Cipher.

Instead of just focusing on AOE, how about you try using a Kalanoth's Minor Blights build? Coupled with Eldritch Aim, Deleterious Alacrity of Motion and Citzal's Martial Power, my Wizard turns into an auto-attacking beast who even out-damages my Rogue during long fights (esp. the dragon fights, who has an insane amount of Deflection)

• Like 1

I.

Slicken, Chill Fog, Fan of Flames - The power trio. These spells start out amazing and never get any worse. Once a wizard hits level 9 he becomes a force to be reckoned with.

Jolting Touch - Technically a potent spell but as indicated by its name, the ranger is rather short and especially early on it's a good way to get yourself killed.

Minoletta's Minor Missiles - Magic Missiles this ain't. Surprisingly poor damage and why would you want to have your wizard cause physical damage in the first place? Could be decent if it did raw damage and thus be closer to its IE counterpart.

Kalakoth's Sunless Grasp - Just not enough punch for such a close range spell.

Arkemyr's Dazzling Lights - A quick daze. Can be useful if you draw aggro but otherwise rather mundane.

II.

Bewildering Spectacle - AoE confusion is always useful. Decent spell.

Curse of Blackened Sight - My favourite tier 2 spell. It's never not useful.

Fetid Caress - A much better version of Sunless Grasp that actually prevents your opponent from hitting you back.

Ray of Fire - Hits surprisingly hard and you can surgically hit multiple foes with the right positioning.

Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon - It's one of those IE spells that does two things at the same time but none particularly well.

Necrotic Lance - Powerful single-target spell that deals the rarely resisted corrode damage type. Especially in the early game it can flat out kill many mobs.

Rolling Flame - Imagine the awesome Iconic Projection not healing your own party members but instead of healing them, it hurts them too and you got a spell that is simply never useful because enemies tend to blob around your tanks.

III.

Ardous Delay of Motion - Slowing down your foes sounds like a great idea but Slicken allows you to almost completely neutralize them instead since level 1.

Deleterious Alacrity of Motion - Like the classic Haste spell but not all that impressive and it also hurts you.

Minoletta's Bounding Missiles - A very strange chain-Magic Missile. I'm not entirely sure what its niche is supposed to be but I certainly wasn't impressed.

Crackling Bolt - Behaves almost exactly like the IE Lightning Bolt spell which means it can bounce off walls and potentially hit foes multiple times. So depending on your environment it's either the most damaging spell in the game or just kind of okay. Or you misinterpret what the game understands as wall and you end up killing most of your party, too.

Fireball - A far cry from the IE original. It has its heart in the right place but the damage appears very low.

Arcane Dampener - Pretty useful to have, especially later in the game when hostile priests become commonplace and they love to buff themselves into oblivion.

Noxious Burst - AoE debuff that happens to deal a bit of corroding damage. Not great.

IV.

Confusion - A superior version of Bewildering Spectacle. A must have.

Dimensional Shift - Switching positions with another party member sounds nice but chances are that those are fighting elsewhere and you end up right next to another mob. Not terrible but very specific.

Wall of Flame - Looks cool but the damage is ridiculously poor.

Minoletta's Concussive Missiles - Would be an amazing spell if it was friendly fire proof as it essentially deals large amount of splash damage around a singular target. Hits hard but difficult to set up.

V.

Malignant Cloud - The lawyer-friendly version of everyone's favourite IE cheese spell, Cloudkill. Basically a DoT field that deals raw damage. Pretty good but I find it a bit difficult to find a use for it.

Torrent of Flame - Blow up everything around you. Not sure if packing a spell for a tactically disadvantageous situation that doesn't actually get you out of said situation is all that wise.

Wall of Force - Has pretty much the same problems as Wall of Flame but it causes your victims to hobble for a long time. Not very impressive for a tier 5 spell. 

Blast of Frost - Like Fan of Flames, but cold. Not sure why it comes so late but it certainly hurts a lot.

Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring - Like Ray of Fire, but cold. Kind of redundant, really.

Ryngrim's Enervating Terror - Weakens and terrifies for a hilariously long time - with a critical hit it almost lasts a full minute. Good spell but there are better ones, such as...

Call to Slumber - A superior version of Slicken. There isn't actually a sleep status in the game so it just knocks them prone. One of the best spells in the game.

VI.

Chain Lightning - High damage and friendly fireproof. Great spell to follow up a Call to Slumber or Amplified Wave for lots of critical hits.

Gaze of the Adragan - Possibly the most powerful spell in the game. Petrify is pretty much a death sentence for anyone.

Citzal's Martial Power - Like a terrible Tenser's Transformation. Interesting in theory but just not feasible with the current rest system and spell durations, just like most of the other wizard buff spells.

Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar - It's a good spell but sadly overshadowed by the other spells in this tier.

Arkemyr's Capricious Hex - I'm not entirely sure if I understand this spell correctly but it seems just awful. If I can petrify or prone, why would I bother with a spell that does less and is random on top?

Spells not mentioned I simply did not use or did not use often enough to rate. I know some people swear by Kalakoth's Minor Blights.

Wizard is overall more important than cipher for a party from my experience.

Useful spells(for party build):

L1: Chill Fog, Slicken, Fan of Flames, Eldrich Aim

L2: Ray of fire, Bulwark against elements, Bewildering Spectacle, Miasma of Feeblemindedness. Other mentions:  Curse of Blackened Sight, Merciless Gaze

L3: Deleterious Aclaricity of Motion, Fireball, Minor Blights, Displaced Image

L4: Essential Phantom, Confusion, Iron skin, Wall of Fire. Situationally: Spell reflection one

L5: Torrent of flame, Bitter morning, Frost Burst, Safeguard, Call to Slumber, Malignant Cloud (lots of good ones here, pick the one more suitable for your playstyle)

L6: Martial Power, Piercing burst, Gaze of Agradan, Chain Lightning

Levels 1-4 (approx) cipher is flat out better cause wizards has very few spells.

Levels 5-8 wizard is better for big fights because his spells have more impact, cipher is better for regular fights

Levels 9-10 wizard is just better, cause level 1 is now per encounter and high level spells get very powerful for big fights

Levels 11-12 Tbh both are OP. Cipher L6 is very strong, but so is wizard's, plus per encounter L2 spells.

Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 1

While I agree with much of what Anhilde wrote, I must disagree with the comments regarding at least three of the spells:

Rolling Flames is an good but situational spell until you get a lot of higher level damage spells so long as you are willing to let your wizard be the one starting encounters by launching it at distant enemies. It does decent damage, especially if you manage to angle it correctly to bounce through the enemies multiple times, and it can be cast outside of combat. If you set up a decent firing lane you can get off two of them and then intercept incoming enemies with your frontline combatant(s) before they can reach the wizard to punish him for his offensive behaviour. If you use multiple frontline combatants and careful positioning so you get enemies strung out attacking your front rather than clustering around a single "tank" you can also use it to strafe the entire enemy line when they are engaged with your frontline, but this is definitely a niche use (and one at which Ray of Fire is in some cases better).

Fireball is a very nice spell; Its damage is frankly mediocre, but it is a fast cast AOE spell with a large radius. Whether spammed alone or under the effects of DAoM, you can always squeeze in a Fireball, and due to having a large radius it gets a pretty large yellow safe-zone with high intelligence, overcoming most of the problems attendant on it not being Foe only.

Deleterious Alacrity of Motion is the most powerful wizard spell by far in any encounter that is dangerous enough that you don't just zerg it; It lasts for a long time and allows you to cast a lot more spells during that time than you otherwise would, and once you are into 3rd and 4th level spells (or above), you are not going to be limited by spell slots in hard encounters (as you will face them rested), you are solely going to be limited by how many spells you can cast in the available time.

I consider DAoM the single most powerful spell of all the spells available to the magic-using classes. Substantial spell haste is just that good when you are concentrating on controlling your spellcasters, because it works as a force multiplier by increasing the spell throughput substantially. Use it with a high Dex PC Wizard wearing clothes or light Berathian robes for minimal base recovery penalty to maximize absurdity, but it is pretty damn powerful even used by a mediocre Wizard like Aloth.

Edited by pi2repsion
  • Like 2

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

My current general loadout:

Level 1 - Slicken, Chill Fog, Fan of Flames, Eldritch Aim
Level 2 - Infuse with Vital Essence, Paralysing Touch Thingy
Level 3 - Fireball, Expose Vulnerabilities, Deleterious Alacrity
Level 4 - Confusion

Honestly, once you hit confusion using any other spells beyond it seems to be optional.

So Speaking about wizards i recently played some PoTD with one in a group this trial of iron run ended in the lighthouse rofl :D ( damn lighthouses in rpg games , always bad news if you need to check one , beat it twice on ironman potd and here you go third time...) i felt my wizard lacking because most of his aoe needed him to get up close to deliver the damage and when he got close he just died miserably and lighthosue mess didnt help him either was the first one to die , i am pretty sure now that i was building him wrong , this time i am going for more of a battlemage approach with all the wizard spells that gives him defenses as priority Using a shield with some draining weapon early , focusing more on crowd control , debuffing and tankiness than glasscanon aoe nuker , also i am thinking to choose 1 damage type ( either corrode or fire ) and boosting it with talents so i could be relevant atleast at that one damage type , tho when thinking about attributes build still keeping maxed might and intelect 

i felt my wizard lacking because most of his aoe needed him to get up close to deliver the damage and when he got close he just died miserably and lighthosue mess didnt help him either was the first one to die

Depending on when you conducted this run, you may find that things have changed.  A wizard's casting range being too low was fixed in a recent patch, spells can actually be cast from afar now.

I'm going to parrot myself. Though with some changes from the last time I posted this:

Level 1

Chill Fog - Nice DoT effect plus inflicts Blind.

Fan of Flames - Most damaging spell this level. Useful for taking out Shades early game. Late game it'll probably be your to go to nuke spell once it becomes per encounter instead of per rest.

Eldritch Aim - Very useful self-buff when dealing with baddies with high overall defenses. This spell is golden in POTD mode where enemy defenses are high enough to warrant its use.

Slicken - Prone is pretty good CC, being 1st-level makes it great.
Arkemyr's Dazzling Lights - Targets Reflex and lowers Will defense by 10. Pretty solid actually.

Level 2

Fetid Caress - It inflicts paralyze, always useful. Targets Fort too, so its good at stopping enemy casters. Its limited range is very problematic however.

Curse of Blackened Sight - Party friendly blind. Its range is smaller than Chill Fog but it does target Will instead of Fort, so its more handy against the targets you... well... want to blind.

Merciless Gaze - Boosts your crit rate and lasts around 60secs. Pretty dang good.

Necrotic Lance - Corrode damage is very good. Pretty much annihilates everything in Act 1.

Rolling Flame - Has high damage potential in small areas, but be careful. This can probably kill your own party.

Bewildering Spectacle - Early game version of Confusion. Once you get Confusion though, this spell is less useful.

Level 3

Noxious Burst - Does more damage than Fireball, plus its Corrode damage and it inflicts Sicken. Pretty clear winner for this level's AoE spell. Only real draw back from Fireball is that it targets Fort instead of Reflex.

Crackling Bolt - Similar to Rolling Flame pretty much.

Deleterious Alacrity of Motion - This spell does wonders to your casting times. its so good, you'll probably need to set the game on Slow Mode to fit in the maximum number of spells to cast while its active.

Kalakoth's Minor Blights - Probably the Wizard's best source of single target damage. Toss up all those self-buffs and go for broke with this spell. Pretty sure this works with Dangerous Implements as well.

Fireball - Its weaker than Noxious Burst, but its still fire based damage. Shades are still a big deal at this level.

Expose Vulnerabilities - Lowers deflection and DR. Not a real fan of this tbh, since I mainly run caster heavy parties. If your party favors weapons though, this spell is a pretty clear winner.

Level 4

Confusion - One of the best CC spells in the game. Use it, love it.

Wall of Flame - Very powerful DoT effect.

Essential Phantom - Set and forget type damage summon. Deals comparable (possibly more) damage to the Chanter's 2nd-invocation summon (3 Wurms).

Minoletta's Concussive Missiles - Respectable damage. The splash effect can harm your own party so watch out for that.

Level 5

Malignant Cloud - Another DoT spell.

Wall of Force - Similar to Wall of Flame though with Crush damage instead of Fire.

Blast of Frost - This spell deals a ton of damage. Range is a bit rough to get used to though.

Call to Slumber - Sure its at a higher level than Slicken, but its duration is longer and well... its probably the best CC at this level anyway.

Level 6

Gaze of the Adragan - It inflicts petrify... which is the best debuff in the game. Dealing 4x damage and preventing a target from acting is just amazing.

Death Ring - It deals Corrode damage and can instantly kill weak targets. Of course, its range makes it very hard to work with unless you don't mind killing your own party.

Chain Lightning - The Wizard's answer to the Druid's Firebug. Very damaging and great for dealing with large spread out groups.

Arkemyr's Capricious Hex - Its no Gaze of the Adragan, but its still a powerful CC spell.

Wall of Flames and Wall of Force are actually pretty strong. Make sure the target is always standing in it, the DoT damage it deals isn't visible (Like Disintegrate), but its definitely doing its thing. I know it made short work of certain dragon out there.

Edited by Wolken3156
  • Like 1

Wall of Force - Similar to Wall of Flame though with Crush damage instead of Fire.

For me, the hobble ability of Wall of Force can be quite useful in a large battle when you want to temporarily hold up reserves and keep them from flanking your party. Laying down a Wall of Flame on top of a Wall of Force is just nasty.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

No love for Minoletta's Precisely Piercing Burst at lvl 6? Does pierce damage but also comes with 10 DR bypass and checks reflex instead of deflection.  But the best part is it's foe only.  I've enjoyed dropping Call to Slumber once everything clumps around the front line, then running the wiz into the middle.

Level 3

Noxious Burst - Does more damage than Fireball, plus its Corrode damage and it inflicts Sicken. Pretty clear winner for this level's AoE spell. Only real draw back from Fireball is that it targets Fort Fireball - Its weaker than Noxious Burst, but its still fire based damage. Shades are still a big deal at this level.

There is one other significant difference between Noxious Burst and Fireball, namely that Fireball has fast cast speed while Noxious Burst has average. Depending on the situation that can make a difference, as Noxious Burst while it has the highest damage per spell slot does not have the highest damage per frame of the two.

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

No love for Minoletta's Precisely Piercing Burst at lvl 6? Does pierce damage but also comes with 10 DR bypass and checks reflex instead of deflection.  But the best part is it's foe only.  I've enjoyed dropping Call to Slumber once everything clumps around the front line, then running the wiz into the middle.

Running the Wizard in the middle is exactly why I don't use it. Its damage is top tier, make no mistake on that, but if my Wizard is within an inch of an enemy, even the disengagement attack will kill him. I haven't gotten that far in my POTD run yet, but I can certainly imagine enemies would survive one blast of it. Its basically asking your Wizard to commit suicide.

For me, the hobble ability of Wall of Force can be quite useful in a large battle when you want to temporarily hold up reserves and keep them from flanking your party. Laying down a Wall of Flame on top of a Wall of Force is just nasty.

I usually cast it when enemies are stationary and stapled to my tank... so the Hobble effect never struck me as useful. If I wanted Hobble though, Binding Web is probably a far more useful spell.

So, Minoletta's Concussive Missiles is pretty ridiculous against petrified targets (then again, what isn't). Every single missile hits for around 70-100 damage, and you got five of them. I wonder if you can kill the adra dragon with a single dose of it. I didn't quite manage it but I believe it should be possible with a properly built wizard - I had to use Aloth with his rather modest stats.

• 10 months later...

resurrection...

for the person who mentioned minor blights...

the point of that spell is to build a blast wizard.  very boring, but very effective.

you take all the blast skills for penetration and damage.

focus on wands in your skill spec.

minor blights basically functions as a wand, and gets all the benefits from any talents you have.

so.. yes, your blights "blast" and each of those blast hits is also a blight.

when you are under the influence of alacrity (from spell or potion) you basically are casting a fireball with rotating elemental damage every second for 90 seconds.

this gets even better at level 7, when you get Pull of Eora, and you can fast-cast that outside of combat to clump your enemies while you buff yourself for blight blast fun.

however, like I said... it gets boring after a while, and is fairly situational... though even with single targets you still are doing good damage most of the time.

Well, the thread is from April 2015—nobody could mention Shadowflame then as it hadn't been even designed yet ;)

Definitely one of the best Wizard spells, and the absolute best of level 4. Would be interested in reading some opinions on levels 7 and 8 (including the uniques from Concelhaut and Llengrath.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

My playstyle has differed greatly with all these patches, so my favorite spells have changed by quite a bit.

Level 1

Chill Fog - Fantastic damage over time and also inflicts blind, so great. Can be annoying at times since it affects allies, but still one of my old faithfuls.

Minoletta's Minor Missiles - I used to scoff at this spell, but recently you guys convinced me. This is a pretty great damage spell, especially when paired Combusting Wounds.

Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff - I have a soft spot for seeing someone rocking a quarterstaff. This spell pretty much wins most of my early battles too, since I usually have my Wizard as the primary damage dealer in my parties.

Spirit Shield - Decent DR boost. I mainly use this to buff my Wizard's Concentration though, since its usually pretty low.

Level 2

Combusting Wounds - I love damage over time spells, and this spell is a fantastic augment to them. Love it.

Necrotic Lance - Very damaging for a level 2 spell. Usually my to-go-to spell for when I have spare level 2 casts to throw around.

Miasma of Dull Mindness - Very strong effects for a level 2 (Even with the nerf). Works great as an opener since it lets my later assaults more likely to hit.

Level 3

Deleterious Alacrity of Motion - Obviously.

Expose Vulnerabilities - In a huge contrast to my previous post, this is one of my favorites to toss around. It really helps let my various damage over time effects punch through DR.

Noxious Burst - This my usual bursty damage spell for this level. Mainly because it inflicts Sickened, which compliments a lot of my Wizard's repertoire.

Llengrath's Displaced Image - My defensive spell of choice. Its great for when there's heat on my Wizard.

Level 4

Confusion - Its still one of the best CC spells in the game. I still use it and I still love it.

Wall of Flame - Very powerful interruption tool and a very nice DoT effect as well. Still a favorite of mine, even if the range is a little hard to work with at times.

Minoletta's Concussive Missiles - Such a great burst spell. The amount damage this can rack up is so great, especially with Combusting Wounds.

Ninagauth's Shadowflame - Also another great CC spell with some good damage stacked on top of it. Shame its on the same level as Confusion, would've been so great to have the two on separate levels.

Pull of Eora - Incredible CC tool, especially for a ranged heavy group. Also great for insuring enemies will still stay inside the numerous damage clouds I create.

Level 5

Wall of Force - Give me reason to swap out Wall of Flame for something else (Way too many good level 4s). Its a good spell all around though, plus it adds Hobble too which is very nice for any Reflex attacks I want to toss around.

Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring - Very damaging, though this spell has been responsible for a lot of friendly deaths. Opps?

Malignant Cloud - Very strong damage over time. Its fun stacking this on top of other damage over time effects.

Ryngrim's Enervating Terror - I actually prefer this over Call to Slumber, because of the greater range and duration. Its good for setting up Sneak Attacks as well as letting my Fort and Will based attacks land a little easier.

Level 6

Ninaguath's Freezing Pillar - I'm probably a little too trigger happy once I get this, but this one of my all time favorite AoE spells. Great damage, and has a damage over time area as well.

Gaze of the Adragan - Petrify is always a fantastic effect.

Arkemyr's Capricious Hex - Amazing area of effect. A little unreliable at times, but it does provide variety over using level 6 casts exclusively for Adragan and Freezing Pillar.

Level 7

Concelhaut's Crushing Doom - Great damage over time effect and also can effectively stunlock a deadly single enemy. Too bad you get it pretty late.

Tayn's Chaotic Orb - Very damaging against smaller group, plus it inflicts all kinds of delicious afflictions.

Substantial Phantom - The only reason I didn't list Essential Phantom is because this version exists. Also helps to free up another level 4 slot, since level 4 spells again, are so great.

Llengrath's Siphoning Image - This also can free up a level 3 slot, and is a great defensive spell. As an added effect this also a great defensive debuff on single targets too. Shame you get it so late though.

Level 8

Kalakoth's Freezing Rake - The amount of damage this spell deals is just incredible. This spell's range is deceptively bigger than it looks though, another cause of friendly deaths =/

Wall of Many Colors - Not only is this the best wall spell, its the best spell in the game period. Just one casting is enough to cause all kinds of carnage, its so amazing.

These are all my opinion though. I'm sure we all have different preferences.

Definitely one of the best Wizard spells, and the absolute best of level 4. Would be interested in reading some opinions on levels 7 and 8 (including the uniques from Concelhaut and Llengrath.)

Concelhaut's Draining Missiles doesn't do a lot of damage. Its an ok way to heal yourself though, and can also works decently with Combusting Wounds. Not a huge fan of most of the Llengrath exclusives save for Siphoning Image and Blunting Wisdom. Blunting Wisdom is incredibly powerful, dealing huge amounts of damage and not even giving a care for DR. The delay between impact and dealing damage is a little annoying though.

• Like 2

Concelhaut's Draining Missiles doesn't do a lot of damage. Its an ok way to heal yourself though, and can also works decently with Combusting Wounds.

It was worth noting that it currently does nothing.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus