Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

30+ hours... All gone! saved games? MISSING?

saved games bugs waste of money?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So, what OS are those of you having save issues on?

Is there anything remarkable about your user profile? I.E., not an Admin, but a user?

Perhaps multiple drives, with the OS mapped to a drive other than C.

Yes, I'm grasping at straws.

Perhaps some dev introduced an absolute path issue in some of the code that was merged.

I know some applications have relative path issues with Windows 7. And, there can be odd permission issues, especially with the %user%/%appdata% permissions. So far, it looks like everyone having the issue is running Windows.... Hmmmm.

^Win7 Ultimate,

game installed to D:\Games\Pillars of Eternity and saved games in default c:\user\name\saved games\pillars of eternity

It's not every time, it's not even every time the computer is shut down - it just happened twice (same fix both times for me) (though oddly, leaving one save file didn't help, but cutting+pasting it over and back did)

Edited by Silent Winter, 08 April 2015 - 01:14 AM.

Maf

Maf

Fragment of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

While it's probably not a fix.

Whenever I had an issue with Pillars, all I had to do was go to my temp folder ( %TEMP% ).

Then locate the Obsidian folder and delete it.

If you're scared, simply doing a windows "clean-up" will probably clear the temp folder for you.

This fixed every issue for me when playing the game (though I only came across 2 or 3).

Sorry to hear about your trouble :(

siagee

siagee

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

Interesting that this issue mostly resides with the Windows OS. I have spoken to a few people that had the problem on linux, but their issues got resolved after the patch?

Ive tried restoring Windows settings (clean-up) and in terms of permissions there might be something within the source code that is limiting the execute function within save files.

My game is installd in D:/Steam and my C:/ folder is merely for windows and very few documents (including pillars' saved game folder).

Maybe this is a freak case, but its a case that should at least be fixed by now. I love this game and everything it entails, unfortunately im slowly losing my patience and a bit of respect... This is a "crowd-funded" project no?

Anyways my rants are merely a reflection of the madness this last weekend :)

thank you all for the support!

KingNee

KingNee

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hi, try uploading a few saves unto dropbox and share a link. Also, did you try re-installing Steam? Steam is watching that folder and syncing it, could be screwing with it. Also, if you have one good save-game you want to continue from, try copying it somewhere safe and disable Steam cloud sync, copy it back and see if it loads.

siagee

siagee

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

Hi, try uploading a few saves unto dropbox and share a link. Also, did you try re-installing Steam? Steam is watching that folder and syncing it, could be screwing with it. Also, if you have one good save-game you want to continue from, try copying it somewhere safe and disable Steam cloud sync, copy it back and see if it loads.

Yea tried all of that!

My saves and everything are posted in the previous page with the details that the devs requested (located on page 1 of this thread).

KingNee

KingNee

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hi, yeah I only checked OP for links.

In any case it's loading just fine for me. I renamed the file to "Forums-TempleofEothas.savegame", copied it and your profile name showed up under saves with only this save in it.  At least your progress is not gone, even if you can't load it right now :/

tXvSKAg.jpg

Edited by KingNee, 08 April 2015 - 06:55 AM.

• siagee likes this

siagee

siagee

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

Its missing characters... and its the old save :(

atleast its working somewhere... just not here apparently 

KingNee

KingNee

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Its missing characters... and its the old save :(

atleast its working somewhere... just not here apparently 

I just picked one of them and I guess it was an old one, I'm sure they all work fine for me.

KingNee

KingNee

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I just saved the game with your old save on the off chance it makes any difference for you: https://dl.dropboxus...Eothas.savegame

• siagee likes this

siagee

siagee

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

I just saved the game with your old save on the off chance it makes any difference for you: https://dl.dropboxus...Eothas.savegame

Hey,

So i erased the rest of the saved files and imported this one. Initially when I ran the game my continue and load game were available again. I ran the saved file and all was working until i exited the game and came back in to run the same save game again, this time nothing!

Thanks for trying to fix the issue with me... Im almost at the verge of giving up.

Plazmid

Plazmid

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Steam:Plazmid
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I saw that Obsidian is pushing patch 1.04 now. See if that addresses your issue (and everyone else who is having this issue) [Crossing Fingers]

siagee

siagee

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

I am hopeful but losing faith!

I cant wait to play this game without any discrepencies in the (hopefully near) future.

The devs still havent gotten back to me... understandable since there seem to be a lot of diverse issues with PoE.

Plazmid

Plazmid

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Steam:Plazmid
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The devs left a little note on the patch notes for 1.04 apologizing for their seeming lack of responsiveness. They are really busy. I can believe it.

siagee

siagee

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

Yea im giving them the benefit of doubt!

I have tons of history with this franchise so Im still curious to see what comes out of all this.

siagee

siagee

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

The new patch solved the issue!!!

Most of my saves are now restored and I will be happily playing the game in a week's time :)

Thank you devs for taking this patch serious, a great improvement!

Tyrunicus

Tyrunicus

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The new patch solved the issue!!!

Most of my saves are now restored and I will be happily playing the game in a week's time :)

Thank you devs for taking this patch serious, a great improvement!

I have recurrence of the issue as of latest patch. I think it's just the number of saved files. I go in, delete a few, right as rain. If you just stick to keeping maybe 4 or 5 instead of dozens like me, you'll be fine.

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I only keep 4 or 5 and it's still doing it - I'd thought it fixed as it didn't happen for a couple of days, then it came back.

(Can still play via the workaround mentioned before, but it's still a (minor) annoyance).

sparklecat

sparklecat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, I have 84 saves and this hasn't happened.

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts

I've had it happen a few times, but never consistently. Usually, I just need to restart the game when it happens. It appears at random, so it's hard to pin down.

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

For me it seems to happen every time I shut-down the computer overnight.

(But oddly, not if I shut the computer down and turn it back on in the middle of the day after playing).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: saved games, bugs, waste of money?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users