Journalism and bias in the gaming industry.

Rosbjerg

Don't mind Baroth, he dancing with the devil of cynisism and currently the dance is too enticing in order to see the beauty of the smallest of victories. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Don't mind Baroth, he dancing with the devil of cynisism and currently the dance is too enticing in order to see the beauty of the smallest of victories.

Have you been hitting the acid again mate?

Bit of humor.

gamergate_life_30_by_kukuruyoart-d8kba6k

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Have you been hitting the acid again mate?

Nah, just me.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Now would be a good time to have another round of "why did the SJWs who claim to be the pinnacle of equality decide to make Vivian James 'better' by turning her into an Aryan."

It's like something out of a comedy sketch ffs....

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

GamerGate has exhibited a resilience that isn't often seen. We've all seen a lot of movements in our lifetime, and a lot of them die quickly. But GamerGate?(...)  GamerGate does not back down. It keeps going and going, and it has the determination, the drive, and the dedication to bring about change.

Would sound a lot more inspiring and believable if it would be talked about not only by random internet people, but my actual-flesh-and-blood real-life friends and acquaintances, who largely haven't even heard about the whole thing, much less care about it in any way, shape or form.

You might be overestimating the impact it has, mate.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Yeah what Baro said, also  you can't possibly compare the state of gender equality in the world to ethics in the gaming industry. There are women who live and die under horrendous social and institutionalized  conditions. No one died the last time I checked due to perceived bias in the gaming industry ?

So who died of the so called sexism in video games?

GamerGate has exhibited a resilience that isn't often seen. We've all seen a lot of movements in our lifetime, and a lot of them die quickly. But GamerGate?(...)  GamerGate does not back down. It keeps going and going, and it has the determination, the drive, and the dedication to bring about change.

Would sound a lot more inspiring and believable if it would be talked about not only by random internet people, but my actual-flesh-and-blood real-life friends and acquaintances, who largely haven't even heard about the whole thing, much less care about it in any way, shape or form.

I'm not saying it's already large enough to accomplish what I've said I want accomplished. I'm saying it's showing a respectable resilience that leads me to believe it may someday reach that point. After all, the moment Polygon and Kotaku and the like are essentially sinking, there's gonna be a lot of people who spent months playing watchdog for games journalists and saw mainstream journalists exhibiting the same problems. I see no reason why those people would not attempt to play watchdog there next. Yes, laziness is a factor, but in my opinion laziness is usually what kills most movements, and it seems non-existent to gamergate in the face of how outraged a lot of it's supporters are. I believe if laziness were a threat to that, it would've already stopped Gamergate.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

I'm not saying it's already large enough to accomplish what I've said I want accomplished. I'm saying it's showing a respectable resilience that leads me to believe it may someday reach that point. After all, the moment Polygon and Kotaku and the like are essentially sinking, there's gonna be a lot of people who spent months playing watchdog for games journalists and saw mainstream journalists exhibiting the same problems. I see no reason why those people would not attempt to play watchdog there next. Yes, laziness is a factor, but in my opinion laziness is usually what kills most movements, and it seems non-existent to gamergate in the face of how outraged a lot of it's supporters are. I believe if laziness were a threat to that, it would've already stopped Gamergate.

I disagree, the movement has slowed down/stabilized; the factor that I think contributes most to its longevity is probably the same that led to the rise of SJWs in the Internet: people are doing what they usually did before but now for a cause. A lot of them are just going to chans, tweeting, sending e-mails, things they probably did before gamergate anyways and the few that contribute in research have prior experience doing it so they probably the same.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Uh, that is the #GamerGate opposition, Barothmuk.

It was the easiest way to sum up the whole GG/anti-GG thing in as derisive a way as possible.

I suppose "videogames are serious business" would have also sufficed.

But you cannot tell me with a straight face that MSNBC, ABC, the BBC and various other mainstream media news outlets which are SUPPOSED to hire the best of the best in the industry can report and provide highly slanted accounts of GamerGate that are poorly researched, and that there's no problem there. This implies that either A.) Those big time journalists are actually incredibly lazy and slacking off, and made little to no effort to understand the issue beyond copy-pasting articles pre-written for them, or B.) They knew damned well what the full story looked like, but had no interest in publicizing the full story, instead preferring to provide coverage to the most emotionally-charged and hysteria-ridden narrative on the topic at hand.

Either way, this is an issue. If those are supposed to be the experts in journalism and reporting, then we have a serious problem. Today it's Bayonetta getting a sub-par review score, tomorrow it's blatant lies about Russian actions within the Ukraine, or indirect encouragement to address issues of Muslim immigration in european countries in the most violent, sensationalist manner imagineable.

This is a interesting point  and one of the  few that is linked to the sustainability of GG that genuinely concerns me, I watched on CNN International on the Kristie Lu Stout show the GG discussion. It was probably only 90 seconds long but it was very uninformed, critical  and really surprised me that they made no effort to at least get the GG perspective

Now a person may think " well this represents the overall quality of news from CNN International "  but I don't think so. I think this was just a bad bit of journalism. So if all the news was this bad I would be very worried because basically we would be getting constant misinformation. But normal CNN stories have multiple guests and proper interviews. So lets not " throw the baby out with the bath water  " as far as International news channels are concerned. Media housed like CNN and Sky do still provide us with credible and relevant updates on globak events

I disagree, the movement has slowed down/stabilized; the factor that I think contributes most to its longevity is probably the same that led to the rise of SJWs in the Internet: people are doing what they usually did before but now for a cause. A lot of them are just going to chans, tweeting, sending e-mails, things they probably did before gamergate anyways and the few that contribute in research have prior experience doing it so they probably the same.

Well done young grasshopper I see you learning how you can truly make GG sustainable. You need to see it as a cause, a campaign that you really believe in and something that you support outside of forums and Internet debate 

This is exactly what most SJW do, I don't just discuss gender equality ( and other SJ ideals )on these forums. Its part of my mindset and what I really believe is the right  direction society needs to go. That is also why SJW have the support of media houses and other mediums, we raise real issues that resonate with people. Thats the secret to GG evolving to something really tangible and mainstream 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So apparently Tim Schafer mocked sock puppets by taking a lesson from Clint Eastwood and his Obama Chair.

And meanwhile Ubisoft went to an Nvidia party that seemed to have go-go dancers and/or erotic dancers.

Everyone get your popcorn ready.

So apparently Tim Schafer mocked sock puppets by taking a lesson from Clint Eastwood and his Obama Chair.

And meanwhile Ubisoft went to an Nvidia party that seemed to have go-go dancers and/or erotic dancers.

And just to be clear why would exotic dancers be a problem at a work party, I'm not trying to be funny but I am missing why this is significant ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I eagerly await the journalists attacking/boycotting nVidia. Fun times ahead.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

And just to be clear why would exotic dancers be a problem at a work party, I'm not trying to be funny but I am missing why this is significant ?

Because "women as background decoration" same as your video games.

Is that really want you think?  So exoctic dancers get paid to work at parties and functions, this is their livelihood

What do you think they would think if you walked up to them and said something similar to " hey do you realize that by doing this job you are undermining feminist causes and not doing justice to gender equality "....they would think you were being patronizing and condescending and probably tell you to  " f***k off " 

Now before I am accused of hypocrisy I have always maintained that unless you can offer those girls another job its makes sense to rather not judge them and utilize there services if required

But this has nothing to do with the objectification of women in society...well I don't think it is the same thing. Its all about  the girls doing what they doing willingly  in order to earn revenue and pay the bills.  But its a tough life and career choice so we should always respect them 

John Milton 

That's not what they think, Bruce. They're making fun of "SJWs".

Here's what happens when someone hosts a party as such in the game industry: http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/28/game-designer-brenda-romero-quits-igda-following-party-with-hired-female-dancers/

To be honest, if they really had hired erotic dancers, I think that would really have been unacceptable. But following the links, and looking at the models, I don't think that's the case.

Can't say about the Nvidia party - but yeah, if they hired erotic dancers, I could see that being a problem at a work related party. 

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Here's what happens when someone hosts a party as such in the game industry: http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/28/game-designer-brenda-romero-quits-igda-following-party-with-hired-female-dancers/

To be honest, if they really had hired erotic dancers, I think that would really have been unacceptable. But following the links, and looking at the models, I don't think that's the case.

Can't say about the Nvidia party - but yeah, if they hired erotic dancers, I could see that being a problem at a work related party. 

Why it would be problem? So everyone can look at erotic dancers except game developers? LOL

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Has anyone actually proposed a potential solution or plan to actually combat the corruption in gaming journalism? Has there been any effort to confront the powers that actually have influence like the big game publishers and companies that advertise through games? Is there any real impetus to create standards that journalists, game companies, and other involved corporations will abide by?

Heck, look at how the state of the rest of entertainment "journalism." It's almost entirely fluff. Hollywood reporters get invited to parties, hang out with celebrities, receive tons of gifts, etc. A lot of them are pretty much celebrities themselves. But no one really cares because there's the understanding that entertainment "journalism" isn't really journalism, it's part of the entertainment. Even though we know that films can have significant effects on the world, from horrible influences like Jaws causing people to freak out about sharks and killing them by the thousands, to more positive changes like how Philadelphia reduced the HIV/AIDS scare and made the public more sympathetic to people afflicted with the illness, so there should be a place for serious journalism in movies/TV.

That's an issue I don't see anyone even really think about. Do people actually want gaming journalism to be real journalism or do they just want it to be part of the entertainment like the rest of the entertainment journalism?

Why it would be problem? So everyone can look at erotic dancers except game developers? LOL

Because it's a work related party. I don't care if the erotic dancers are male or female, so it's not an "objectifying women" thing, I just don't think throwing a party with strippers is a smart thing to do if it is work related. For one, it's obviously bad P.R., but even if you ignore that, it's hardly very inclusive. There's bound to be people working at the company who have no desire to be at a party where there's semi-naked people. Now, of course, there are exceptions: if the company in question is, say, Brazzers - then yes, it would be appropriate, but this is NVidia.

Of course, you could say: well, don't go to the party then. In answer to that: sure, if you don't want to make promotion in the company, then sure, don't go to the party.

Edited by JadedWolf
  • Like 4

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Because it's a work related party. I don't care if the erotic dancers are male or female, so it's not an "objectifying women" thing, I just don't think throwing a party with strippers is a smart thing to do if it is work related. For one, it's obviously bad P.R., but even if you ignore that, it's hardly very inclusive. There's bound to be people working at the company who have no desire to be at a party where there's semi-naked people. Now, of course, there are exceptions: if the company in question is, say, Brazzers - then yes, it would be appropriate, but this is NVidia.

Of course, you could say: well, don't go to the party then. In answer to that: sure, if you don't want to make promotion in the company, then sure, don't go to the party.

So as you guys know I work in the corporate industry. I have been to functions, product  launches and parties where there are women who dance on tables  or on the stage. But to be clear they not strippers they are professional dancers but they wear revealing attire,  I don't see anything wrong with this . But yes I imagine if there were real strippers that would be inappropriate for many people including women.

Here's what happens when someone hosts a party as such in the game industry: http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/28/game-designer-brenda-romero-quits-igda-following-party-with-hired-female-dancers/

Okay thanks for this link, now I understand :)

I do think that women overacted a little by resigning but I suppose you have to consider how some people would react to scantily dressed women at a function..there does have to be level of professionalism?  

John Milton 

I know that anti gamergate mainly consists of morons, one just has to read their pathetic ramblings but now simple addition is beyond them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEDCcdjgMNs

No wonder this gentleman cannot complete his games, feels comfortable spitting on the consumers who've funded his company and has single handedly helped tarnish Kickstarter for those companies whom are honestly trying to make games for a living. 1+1+40 does not equal 50.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I know that anti gamergate mainly consists of morons, one just has to read their pathetic ramblings but now sitmple addition is beyond them:

No wonder this gentleman cannot complete his games, feels comfortable spitting on the consumers who've funded his company and has single handedly helped tarnish Kickstarter for those companies whom are honestly trying to make games for a living. 1+1+40 does not equal 50.

Well technically he isn't spitting on his consumers....he is spitting on GG supporters  

But Nonek his joke is very juvenile anyway and not really funny. So I'm surprised you are getting  upset? Or rather let me ask you this...does this type of thing upset you ?

John Milton 

So some people are just touchy - yep pretty much summed up

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I know that anti gamergate mainly consists of morons, one just has to read their pathetic ramblings but now sitmple addition is beyond them:

Well technically he isn't spitting on his consumers....he is spitting on GG supporters  

But Nonek his joke is very juvenile anyway and not really funny. So I'm surprised you are getting  upset? Or rather let me ask you this...does this type of thing upset you ?

Troll somebody else Bruce i'm tired of your hypocritical act.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I know that anti gamergate mainly consists of morons, one just has to read their pathetic ramblings but now simple addition is beyond them:

I suppose one could make a joke about how much money Tim Schaefer needs to make a game, but it seems even he doesn't know that.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands