The box art for this game - am I dreaming?

Grotesque

I wonder how Tim Cain really felt when the marketing suits came and told him that they know better what the boxart & design for Fallout 2 really should look like.

"No more box cover flaps Tim!

Stop being so damn nostalgic!"

• Like 2

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

I respect that someone might have a negative opinion of the box art, and care about it, but I have to say I could literally could not give less of a **** about that.  I want all resources spent on making the best game possible.  The box art could be blank, that would be fine with me.

I wonder how Tim Cain really felt when the marketing suits came and told him that they know better what the boxart & design for Fallout 2 really should look like.

why on earth would we care what tim cain thought about box art o' fallout 2? cain considers himself something o' a cook, yes?  perhaps we listen to his opinion on the beer v. wine debates and for which food pairings he believes beer is acceptable as 'posed to gauche.  box art?  

am not gonna open too many old wounds, but mr. cain's dealings with the "suits" is unlikely to be the reason obsidian wanted his very formidable talents at their disposal.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

why on earth would we care what tim cain thought about box art o' fallout 2? cain considers himself something o' a cook, yes?  perhaps we listen to his opinion on the beer v. wine debates and for which food pairings he believes beer is acceptable as 'posed to gauche.  box art?  

It seems you slept in history class. Or you're just a plain glib.

Or you never knew on which planet you live from the first place.

But nevertheless, keep them coming!

It's pure gold.

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

It seems you slept in history class. Or you're just a plain glib.

Or you never knew on which planet you live from the first place.

But nevertheless, keep them coming!

It's pure gold.

history is not your friend, just as it weren't a friend of troika.

*shrug*

am not certain why crpg fans latch onto box art debates.  for example, the ridiculous amounts o' text that has been devoted to the idiotic "ps:t box art killed ps:t sales" nonsense is enough to make us weep.  

also, your signature suggests that you may not be entirely objective insofar as this topic is concerned. just saying.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Most probably you mean Fallout, where Tim was producer and lead programmer. For Fallout 2 he is listed as just lead writer. But then it was far less probable for suits to be involved with Fallout than for Fallout 2. You may find this presentation interesting, if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1015843/Classic-Game-Postmortem

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Nice.

Is the box and manual will be located (in French) ?

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

Nice.

Is the box and manual will be located (in French) ?

I sure hope if it is, we still get to choose what language we want. I'm Italian and I live in Hungary but you can bet your everything I want my box and manual in English.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I really hope the regular backer physical box won't look like in the first post :/

It's, frankly, not a great display piece. I assume everyone who paid for the physical box did so because they would actually like to have something to display for it, so it should be tailored for purpose rather than store shelves.

Is the (non-CE) backer reward going to have all the PEGI 16 PC DVD-ROM logos and information on the outer box? It seems like a terrible idea for something that's not going to hit store shelves, but be delivered to people who already paid for the game.

I was certainly hoping for something more similar to the originally suggested box art that was more reminiscent of the BG2/ToB box art.

Edited by mstark
  • Like 2
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I think box art is probably temporary, because if you know Polish you can read that graphic of the game box can change. But I had similar situation with Risen 3: First Edition. its box art from picture and real copy looked the same for me, but maybe because R3: First Edition was available everywhere, not like Adventurer Edition for POE (if I remember correctly it is available for some countries of Eastern Europe not only for Poland).

Edited by White Phoenix

Most probably you mean Fallout, where Tim was producer and lead programmer. For Fallout 2 he is listed as just lead writer. But then it was far less probable for suits to be involved with Fallout than for Fallout 2. You may find this presentation interesting, if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1015843/Classic-Game-Postmortem

The team behind Fallout with Tim Cain in charge once more began working on Fallout 2 shortly after the release of Fallout (which was treated during development by Interplay as a B product, pretty much under the radar)

After Fallout proved to be a smashing hit, the suits at Interplay intervened and started to dictate how Fallout 2 should be like, even how the gamebox should be and look, contrary to Tim Cain's opinion on this matter and others.

So the core people responsible for Fallout left Interplay only after writing the story in broad strokes.

So I meant Fallout 2. I think I was pretty clear

Edited by Grotesque

I think you're being a little critical mate. I'd rather they work on the actual game than design new box art.

Barbie's seal of approval on you train of thought and design choice

Classy. Calling someone else Barbie is rather ironic considering you're the one throwing a diva-like tantrum about something superficial stuff like how a box looks.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl

I think you're being a little critical mate. I'd rather they work on the actual game than design new box art.

Barbie's seal of approval on you train of thought and design choice

Classy. Calling someone else Barbie is rather ironic considering you're the one throwing a diva-like tantrum about something superficial stuff like how a box looks.

Just hone on your English skills and we'll talk later. Maybe

EDIT: and yeah. Super classy, just as  the gamebox looks at the moment. Superficial stuff? Yeah... you BET it is!

Edited by Grotesque
  • Like 2

What's wrong with my English? Though I suppose I shouldn't be surprised you'd insult me, since that's what you seem to do whenever anyone disagrees with you.

Anyway, did you not read Brandon Adler's post where he said that this is the box for Poland rather than the box for everyone?

Edited by Quetzalcoatl

Though I suppose I shouldn't be surprised you'd insult me,

Please accept my apologies. Unfortunately I failed to realize that the expression "diva-like tantrum" was supposed to flatter me.

There is a difference between calling out a specific kind of behavior and dismissing someone's opinion by insulting their person ('barbie').

I just realized there is a letter missing in my original post that riled you so much. Can you identify which one is it?

Back on topic, I think the box art looks fine, it's a pretty generic fantasy battle picture, which tells the uniformed consumer this probably is a fantasy game involving battles, magic, some form of zombie or monsters, and guns.  I think the goal is to get more customers than just those of us that kickstarted the game, so a minimal cover wouldn't make too much sense.

I really hope Forton is still in the game as a side character that no one likes, after the somewhat comical reception his concept got.  He could be a bumbling Leroy Jenkins kind of character that runs into a battle that you have to save.  In the end he is revealed as a drunken master and the big bad behind the whole plot.

The team behind Fallout with Tim Cain in charge once more began working on Fallout 2 shortly after the release of Fallout (which was treated during development by Interplay as a B product, pretty much under the radar)

After Fallout proved to be a smashing hit, the suits at Interplay intervened and started to dictate how Fallout 2 should be like, even how the gamebox should be and look, contrary to Tim Cain's opinion on this matter and others.

So the core people responsible for Fallout left Interplay only after writing the story in broad strokes.

fallout was never a "smashing hit."  is more bad history. it sold ok for its time and it were beloved by a small and ardent group o' individuals that included game developers.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?152662-Briareus-speaks-out&p=3024645&viewfull=1#post3024645

HA! Good Fun!

ps folks over at nma and codex has been telling themselves the same narrative for so long that it has become truth.  get 10 or even 100 people to keep repeating the same myth doesn't transform the story into reality.  the strength o' your belief don't make it any more real. is kinda amazing that even after briareus posted the above, few folks at nma and elsewhere bothered to change the narrative.  weird.

Edited by Gromnir

fallout was never a "smashing hit."  is more bad history. it sold ok for its time and it were beloved by a small and ardent group o' individuals that included game developers.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?152662-Briareus-speaks-out&p=3024645&viewfull=1#post3024645

HA! Good Fun!

ps folks over at nma and codex has been telling themselves the same narrative for so long that it has become truth.  get 10 or even 100 people to keep repeating the same myth doesn't transform the story into reality.  the strength o' your belief don't make it any more real. is kinda amazing that even after briareus posted the above, few folks at nma and elsewhere bothered to change the narrative.  weird.

yes, receiving the title of the RPG of the year and selling more than ok then and the following years to come is not a smashing hit.

from 8:57 onwards you can hear all the "lies" and "myths" straight from Tim Cain's mouth

good ratings don't mean good sales.  didn't think we needed to make that point.  

as for sales, we already covered that point... and your cain fixation as well.

for those folks with ADD, we will link once more.

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

It seems you have a short memory and forget what was discussion was all about. It sure isn't about dissecting what good sales means.

Please allow me to help you.

Gromnir,

"why on earth would we care what tim cain thought about box art o' fallout 2? cain considers himself something o' a cook, yes?  perhaps we listen to his opinion on the beer v. wine debates and for which food pairings he believes beer is acceptable as 'posed to gauche.  box art?"

I also suggest that we do not bore others on this matter anymore but feel free to talk out of your anus (like you did where I quoted you) to me in private so I can ignore you there.

HA! Good Fun!

It seems you have a short memory and forget what was discussion was all about. It sure isn't about dissecting what good sales means.

Please allow me to help you.

Gromnir,

"why on earth would we care what tim cain thought about box art o' fallout 2? cain considers himself something o' a cook, yes?  perhaps we listen to his opinion on the beer v. wine debates and for which food pairings he believes beer is acceptable as 'posed to gauche.  box art?"

I also suggest that we do not bore others on this matter anymore but feel free to talk out of your anus (like you did where I quoted you) to me in private so I can ignore you there.

how on earth does your observations change anything?  why should we care about tim cain opinion o' box art? your selective quote missed the following:

"am not gonna open too many old wounds, but mr. cain's dealings with the "suits" is unlikely to be the reason obsidian wanted his very formidable talents at their disposal.

YOU is the guy who brought up that fallout were a "smashing hit" and cain's interaction with the suits.  well, cain's interaction with the suits has been, at best, the cause of considerable debate, and fallout were hardly a "smashing hit" from the perspective o' sales.  box art is a marketing issue that might have some impact on sales, but what is you trying to make of it, or what is you now trying to backtrack away from making it? 

are we gonna need bring up ps:t to give perspective?  we hope not.

HA! Good Fun!