Horses as a tool require a lot of upkeep and maintenance, and their range of movement is rather restricted if one wishes to keep them in fine condition. Ponies and Mules are a far better choice for rough and broken terrain, and the idea of a Dungeon Siege style Mule companion is far more appealing to me personally. Even here the limited movement capabilities of the Equine means that relying on foot is a far more reliable option, and one is able to go where only Goats and other such animals can. A sturdy backpack, climbing gear and warm clothing are probably what the exploring adventurer needs more than a Horse, which largely cannot or will not follow where he leads.

That said I do not think that the burst of speed Horses provide should be discounted. Personally I would have stables on major roadways, and perhaps for purchase/upgrade at the Stronghold, and allow one to fast travel using these locations. A small illustrated sequence of the company riding forth, perhaps with a random encounter along the way, decided by skill or whatnot, and the fast travel becomes an interesting feature. Thus Horses are recognised in the world, implemented in a realistic manner, but do not really have to be animated beyond an inquisitive snout at a stable door, saving time and resources for the core features.

Perhaps something similar for the expansion?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Horse armor is oppressive to horses. They should be able to choose whether or not they want to wear armor. I also don't want to ride them. Also oppressive. I think horses should be in charge. If horses chose to speak to humans they would be so very, very wise.

@Cluas

You don't care about horses? That's very un-American of you.

• Like 1