RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

The hypersensitivity of some and the propensity of others to take things out of context or argue just to argue really poops on my desire to even read these boards. In other words some of you are seriously immature, which really poops on the ability of others here to have an even semi-intelligent discussion.

I just mentioned Bioware, didn't say I liked them, didn't say I didn't like them, and some people take what I said out of context and others freak out simply because the word was mentioned.

Note: this phenomenon isn't unique to this thread. In fact it's quite common on these forums. But this is probably the most ridiculous and obvious example of it I've seen in awhile.

I don't think its just common on these forums, I think its common on the internet. Discussion go off on tangents that have little to do with what started them.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The hypersensitivity of some and the propensity of others to take things out of context or argue just to argue really poops on my desire to even read these boards. In other words some of you are seriously immature, which really poops on the ability of others here to have an even semi-intelligent discussion.

I just mentioned Bioware, didn't say I liked them, didn't say I didn't like them, and some people take what I said out of context and others freak out simply because the word was mentioned.

Note: this phenomenon isn't unique to this thread. In fact it's quite common on these forums. But this is probably the most ridiculous and obvious example of it I've seen in awhile.

And, so what ? The conversation moved on as Hurlshot commented on your post and it went from there, so really your post has little relevance to the ensuing argument. As for it reducing your desire to read the boards, hah...

Also, bringing up Bioware getting the EA treatment a la that comic that is posted often, you have to expect an argument about how Bioware has changed from EA's influences.

I don't think its just common on these forums, I think its common on the internet. Discussion go off on tangents that have little to do with what started them.

Happens a fair bit offline as well.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oh, I don't mind tangents (there's a point where they can become super far off topic though and it's best to just make another thread (ie: discussions of why some like Fifty Shades of Grey)). This is a tangent itself. It's the taking things out of context, arguing just to argue, and the hypersensitivity that lowers the conversation level.

It's fairly common on the internet these days yes. But it's not overly common on the forums I've frequented in the last decade (some are gaming forums, some are not) or the ones I frequent now (most of which are semi-private). If this forum had better moderation I'd say it wouldn't be frequent here either. But some of the moderators on this forum are guilty (in other threads, not this one) of what I mention, and trolling is not only allowed on this forum it's seemingly encouraged by some of the moderators (as some are guilty of it). Which more than anything else methinks, lowers the quality of many of the conversations found on this forum, as while hypersensitivity, taking things out of context, or arguing just to argue isn't necessarily trolling, I've noted that most of the people who are on these forums who engage in these things often troll elsewhere. It's the incredibly immature mindset that is a prerequisite for trolling that more often than not is also a prerequisite for these other behaviors. In other words, don't tolerate trolling, like most respectable forums don't, and set good examples (especially if you're a moderator) and you won't have all that much of this other bad stuff.

I brought this up in hopes that at least a couple of the guilty look in the mirror and change their ways. Unlikely, I know, but it does happen from time to time.

Edited by Valsuelm

At least we can all be thankful that there are posters around to judge and tell us of the conversation levels. Whew.

Troll!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

At least we can all be thankful that there are posters around to judge and tell us of the conversation levels. Whew.

Troll!

Indeed. Gifted is guilty more than any other moderator I've seen of being exactly what a moderator shouldn't be: an immature troll.

Well, that's your problem then. He's fine with the people whose opinions matter, it seems. And really, this is just a gaming forum, despite the borderline masturbatory stuff in WoT about global affairs.

Which more than anything else methinks, lowers the quality of many of the conversations found on this forum, as while hypersensitivity, taking things out of context, or arguing just to argue isn't necessarily trolling, I've noted that most of the people who are on these forums who engage in these things often troll elsewhere. It's the incredibly immature mindset that is a prerequisite for trolling that more often than not is also a prerequisite for these other behaviors. In other words, don't tolerate trolling, like most respectable forums don't, and set good examples (especially if you're a moderator) and you won't have all that much of this other bad stuff.

I brought this up in hopes that at least a couple of the guilty look in the mirror and change their ways. Unlikely, I know, but it does happen from time to time.

I think you are being hypersensitive about some folks' hypersensitivity wrt the B-word.

Seriously though, never utter the B-word around these parts. You may think its effect is limited to the Codex, but alas, it is not so. People go mental even here, nay, especially here; it's not unlike the Two Minutes Hate in 1984.

Exhibit A:

woohoo.gif

typical Obsidz forum user after stumbling upon a discussion involving The Developer Which Shall Not Be Named

We even have an emote especially crafted to sum up these threads: deadhorse.gif

Ignore this advice at your peril...

He's fine with the people whose opinions matter, it seems. And really, this is just a gaming forum, despite the borderline masturbatory stuff in WoT about global affairs.

Borderline indeed, ever since they locked down the hot women thread...

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Troll!

Indeed. Gifted is guilty more than any other moderator I've seen of being exactly what a moderator shouldn't be: an immature troll.

Beware the infinite loop...

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Just need a tag of Trigger Warning Bioware and Romance

It's fairly common on the internet these days yes.

Digression was fairly common on rec.arts.games.* back in 1996 though - every discussion became a console war or PC vs console war (but then, somewhat to your point, Usenet wasn't moderated typically).

Just need a tag of Trigger Warning Bioware and Romance

neck2.jpg

:shifty:

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

While working with Khronos on the new Vulkan API, Valve made a Vulkan driver for Intel graphics.  This is a very preliminary driver running an alpha version of the Vulkan API running on Linux, running DOTA2 on the Source 2 engine:

The driver will be open sourced by Valve.

1425588837IMG_20150305_101215.jpg

Since it will be open sourced there will be nothing stopping Intel, or anyone else for that matter, adapting the driver for Windows and Mac.  No doubt Nvidia and AMD will have Vulkan drivers too in the future.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks