Journalism and sexism in the games industry

LadyCrimson

What is it about GTA 5 anyway. Is there some particular critisism or is it just that it's called GTA 5 and the same people campaigned to ban #4

Prostitutes are an aknowledged part of reality in GTA 5.

And their murder. Which you are under no obligation to commit.

How about create demand for the things you want and **** off from things other people want?

The demand's already there. According to corporate logic it's just more profitable to chase after an already fulfilled market.

You are suggesting that "live and let live" is a loser mentality and that everyone should act as a holy crusader that will stop at nothing to change the world into something they agree with better.

Yup.

Pro-tip: Crusades and a refusal to accept the existence of dissenting opinion is how innocent people wind up dead with the justifcation being that the innocent people were not so innocent.

And blind devotion to the status quo continues the deaths of innocents that could easily be prevented.

Seeing I've already made my point and we are now drifting far away from it I'm bailing.

Pro-tip: Crusades and a refusal to accept the existence of dissenting opinion is how innocent people wind up dead with the justifcation being that the innocent people were not so innocent.

And blind devotion to the status quo continues the deaths of innocents that could easily be prevented.

Wait, so not preventing a game from being made out is allowing the deaths of innocents? What?

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wait, so not preventing a game from being made out is allowing the deaths of innocents? What?

Good thing we kept ridiculous hyperboles out of the conversation!!

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

The demand's already there. According to corporate logic it's just more profitable to chase after an already fulfilled market.

Firstly, that demand is being fulfilled. Second, if there is an unoccupied profitable niche that has no other competition people will jump at the opportunity quickly and if they don't then it's not as in demand as you think.

What the hell happened...? https://archive.today/GT5ne

Oh yeah I do remember Leigh Alexander being different once upon a time.

Edited by Fighter

And disagreements within gaming discussion is going to lead to deaths a well shocked.gif!?!?

I already pointed out we'd drifted from the original point. Jesus holy **** guys.

Yeah, I'm not sure how we got to real world death in either scenario....

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Firstly, that demand is being fulfilled.

Not according to the people making the demand.

Second, if there is an unoccupied profitable niche that has no other competition people will jump at the opportunity quickly and if they don't then it's not as in demand as you think.

Pfffttt.

I can't ****ing believe I'm reading this on the Pillars of Eternity boards of all places. We went ages without an adequate IE styled game. For years I said a company could make a solid profit by making cheaper classic RPGs but noooooooo they all wanted to chase the "big bux" pumping out a series of streamlined, consolized, action games in attempt to capture some mythical fantasy-COD audience.

Corporations are filled with dumb****s. Any RPG fan should know this.

The last two pages were quite interesting to read. Thank you fellas, i will now go on a crusade to ban christmas trees everywhere from this immoral world because im not a loser.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I can't ****ing believe I'm reading this on the Pillars of Eternity boards of all places. We went ages without an adequate IE styled game. For years I said a company could make a solid profit by making cheaper classic RPGs but noooooooo they all wanted to chase the "big bux" pumping out a series of streamlined, consolized, action games in attempt to capture some mythical fantasy-COD audience.

Its true; like games Hollywood could make the same money by pumping out lower budget films in the long run too. The problem is that there is a mentality in business that its better to make a $20 million film and make $70 million than to make 5 $4 million films and make $10 million on each film.

This seems to exist in games as well for the "AAA" producers.

It also exists for retailers who don't like budget-titles as much because they give lower profit on the sales.

That said there were people making niche games all the time, they're just distributed like crap because the distribution system (excepting digital) isn't friendly to them (and digital can be a long shot to get noticed unless you get picked up by a digital platform).

Edited by Amentep

The last two pages were....strange.

Anyways

[Video]

Total Biscuit is considering doing an awards show run by youtubers.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

"And blind devotion to the status quo continues the deaths of innocents that could easily be prevented."

That argument again. GTAV and other games of its ilk is the cause of violence and misogny? Come on. It's a fact thatt he more games have gotten popular  thecrime rate has gone down.

Games do not turn people into violence sexist criminals. Stop the damn lies.

Damn nazis.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I was going to watch the video, curious what this was about, but then noticed the length of the video. Yeah, don't think so. I'll go find the cliff notes somewhere...
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not according to the people making the demand.

Who would that be? And lets hear this list of demands and determine how popular they are.

Pfffttt.

Well exactly, Pillars of Eternity is being made, it is a real thing. For ages? Talk is cheap. Perhaps the time for those games has come exactly now which is why you are seeing all these crowd funding successes and the niche is being filled.

If your so much smarter why aren't you making millions running these companies.

I was going to watch the video, curious what this was about, but then noticed the length of the video. Yeah, don't think so. I'll go find the cliff notes somewhere...
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sivgd0

Seems promising IMO.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Second, if there is an unoccupied profitable niche that has no other competition people will jump at the opportunity quickly and if they don't then it's not as in demand as you think.

Pfffttt.

Yes, this is quite true. As much as I approve of capitalism it doesn't take a genius to know that people can misread a market. Some people do seem to attribute supernatural powers the free market. I've seen things in high demand be completely ignored in favor of products no one wanted.

Case in point: Hitman Absolution. All the previous Hitman games were best sellers. Clearly the demand for that style of game was in high demand. Then they came out with a pseudo stealth game that could barely be construed as a Hitman game, or even a game about a Hitman. It obviously didn't sell well. The developers stupidly assumed the market wanted a streamlined piece of crap over a Hitman game. They were stupid.

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

How about make your own choices about what to consume. How %&$#ing difficult is that?

Would you support a child-rape simulator? A holocaust simulator?

Not with dime of my money, and if i was a retailer; I wouldn't stock such trash. I also don't blame target for removing GTA 5 from it's stocks. Far as I'm concerned; it has every right to not sell any product they want for any reason they want.

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

That argument again. GTAV and other games of its ilk is the cause of violence and misogny? Come on. It's a fact thatt he more games have gotten popular  thecrime rate has gone down.

Games do not turn people into violence sexist criminals. Stop the damn lies.

I just wanna mention...

I'm by no means a criminology expert, but where I study it's a course you have to take for a law degree.

For those who don't know, Criminology is the study of what makes a criminal a criminal, more or less. It looks into the causes of crime to try and understand it and prevent it, and I like to think it's also to teach would-be politicians and prosecutors a bit of empathy.

One of the causes of crime is indeed boredom. That's not to say all crime is caused by boredom - of course not - but it is worth noting that boredom does escalate crime to a degree. Boredom can lead to some weird **** like surfing on top of a train and seeing if you can duck before you reach the bridge underpass. Thrillseekers start going nuts in the face of boredom; some surf on trains, some commit crime for the thrill of getting away and avoiding getting caught. So yes, to a degree video games can actually be preventative. Small sample of how significant it is? My book by my professor for Criminology covers causes of crime in pages 185 - 309, pages 265 - 309 are about boredom and media and how they influence crime. I'd recommend the book but German. :C

From a purely criminological view, violent media can distract people from violent realities, although the idea would still be that non-violent alternatives would still be better. Ideally yes, there'd be no violent media but some studies have connected a drop in crime with the rise of video games. Violent media is frowned upon in general because for example suicide rates spike during news of a famous suicide and as such the drive towards violence rises aswell, but with video games many people now satiate that drive via video games. Studies have also shown a spike in one's mindset towards violence, but most specifically within kids and younger teens. One guy who did a study even explicitly stated he thinks the lesson from his results is to pay attention to what's shown (is it violent or not), how is it shown (is it encouraged, discouraged, mocked, made a joke, etc), how much is shown, and who is watching it under what circumstances. In short...there's really no conclusive statement that it encourages or discourages anything because a lot of it seems case by case. Yes, kids for example should not be watching violent media because they're young and impressionable. Comparatively grown idiots might use violent media as an outlet to keep them from being far more idiotic out on the streets. And yes it's worth mentioning that from a purely Criminological view, a world without violent media would be ideal for slowing crime. Reading that, I'm beginning to wonder if the SJW side is actually intent on making what I consider an impossibility a reality. It's funny cause my professor never spoke poorly of violent media, but rather acknowledged things like the existence of copycat crimes as a sad reality and had learned to laugh off how simple-minded humanity can be, but perhaps these people are convinced something can actually be done about it...

As for sexual crimes, I don't know of any statistics I've seen personally, but I'd assume it'd be more or less the same, as a video game (or other media) gives people a safe outlet to meet their desires with.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

LOL.

[ Twitter post image removed ]

I have nothing to say, that's how mind-numbingly stupid this is.

PS: I care more about going to Mars than ethics in gaming journalism. It is possible to care about more than one thing, but don't tell our lil'Fuhrer that.

• Like 1

To be fairly honest... Yeah I do care about many things that are a daily part of my life more than going to Mars. I live down here and they are going somewhere far away up there and it will affect my personal comfort little.

Edit: Check out the overpriced camera. I bet he paid all that cash for asinine hipster reasons so he could have a modern one look like an old classic or some such...

B35-yBfCYAADxIo.png

Edited by Fighter