Update #87: Internal Play Testing, VO, Performance Optimization, Mac Build, and More

Over a month no updates, and this is all you can give us ? Why did we even bother funding this crap? I seriously have a feeling this game is going to suck, and not be a spiritual successor to any black Isle game or-like game ever. I mean, come on, this is Obsidian, any time they they very little work in an extended period of time, its usually really shoddy and becomes nothing worth mentioning in the long run. 

The lack of revealed direction or content thus far, is very off-putting.

More concurrent dev updates and activity have spontaneously been moved to beta forums, which is understandable in my opinion.

I don't really know if beta forums have restricted access. If they have, I'd recommend to lift the restriction. With all the streams and youtube content of the beta, it doesn't make sense to have one.

Regarding your other statements, I do not intend to say much more than that I disagree. Is content revealed in beta not enough? How much of revealed content - also known as spoilers - would you like then?

Edited by Jajo

I don't really know if beta forums have restricted access.

they don't

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

And I gotta say, reading that the game is so huge that the majority of the devs playing through it haven't even come close to finishing it, let alone get to the first major city, fills me with excitement; so much content! So much to explore, discover, and experience!

Don't forget in BG you don't reach the first major (only) city til chapter 5. Not that there wasn't a lot to do in chapter 5 onwards, just putting some perspective on it.

And I gotta say, reading that the game is so huge that the majority of the devs playing through it haven't even come close to finishing it, let alone get to the first major city, fills me with excitement; so much content! So much to explore, discover, and experience!

Don't forget in BG you don't reach the first major (only) city til chapter 5. Not that there wasn't a lot to do in chapter 5 onwards, just putting some perspective on it.

I guess you would reach Defiance Bay earlier in PoE compared to the usual time you reach Baldur's Gate in BG. There are two big cities in PoE, so I guess Defiance Bay and Twin Elms would be spaced out evenly, not grouped together at the end.

EDIT: So I guess that if it takes quite some time to reach the first city, it will take about as much to reach the second one, which would make PoE a big game indeed.

Edited by Gorbag

Nothing gold can stay.

I wonder how many areas are "gated off" like Baldur's Gate in the first BG. I really don't like that type of design (though I do admit it felt epic finally getting into the city the first time I played the game). I hope most areas are open without "plot hurdles" to jump through beforehand.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Great news. I Like the things the team consider important to make the game better and don't mind to implement things that were not ( :p ) in IE games to improve the experience and bring the game to modern standards.

"Really BIG game" makes me also supper happy (early alternate ending? That's awsome!) :)

SPOILER ALERT

Yeah, I thought as much. My guess is

Intro and chapter 1 (various places), then one or two chapters in Defiance Bay, then another chapter of wandering around, then one or two chapters in Twin Elms and then the endgame. Exploring the mega-dungeon would probably count as side content you can access at any time after the first chapter, like Watcher's Keep and Durlag's Tower.

Nothing gold can stay.

Update by Josh Sawyer, Project Director

we also conducted an internal play week so the developers could get a good feeling for how the game felt from start to finish (or at least as far as they could get).

We learned a lot from the play week. Most notably:

• most found the learning curve to be difficult.
  • combat was still too fast.
  • Melee Engagement needs to be communicated more clearly. Additionally, we still need a visual effect to indicate when a Disengagement Attack is occurring.
  • We also found that the standard casting and Recovery times were too long. People felt that they could not respond to threats quickly enough.
  • Hiring adventurers, buying items, were all much too expensive.
  • All classes need a per encounter ability to use at 1st level. Early in the game, it's easy to run completely out of per rest abilities and you may have few or no companions. Per encounter abilities ensure that every class has something to do other than auto-attack at low levels

Yep, we've known about this for months. Good to see the dev's have finally figured this out. :thumbsup:

My guess is

Here's what it actually is

Chapter 1 - Gilded Vale, ends at the Stronghold/Od Nua, which are the same location

Chapter 2 - Defiance Bay

Chapter 3 - Twin Elms

Yep, we've known about this for months. Good to see the dev's have finally figured this out.

Well the global recovery change doesn't even fix the problem, and they haven't correctly identified the issues with Melee Engagement so ...

Edited by Sensuki

Thank you for thanksgiving update, enjoy the holidays :)

I know I didn't like what was done to DS3, but having better hopes and faith now in kickstarter and you.  I'm glad you all played your game and came up with similar conclusions the community has voiced as well.  When you find your happy medium for combat speeds, might I suggest something another person had earlier that you include a Combat Speed slider in the options (instead of fast and slow hotkeys).  Your artists are doing a great job :)  I already have my own custom portraits done, but yours do look great.

That's all, take your time before releasing it and fix everything ^^  Just save the champagne partying til after release, ya? lol. (okay, new year's excluded~) :p