The culture of Rape, Bill Cosby Story

BruceVC

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/19/arts/bill-cosby-deposition-reveals-calculated-pursuit-of-young-women-using-fame-drugs-and-deceit.html?_r=0

For those interested more information about the appalling antics of Cosby through the decades

What exactly was so appaling about a famous guy sleeping with many women? Oh that's right he is black. i'm sure a white south african sees nothing wrong with white guy Sheen doing exactly the same, but god forbid if it's a black guy. Right Mr. Apartheid?

:lol:

No...I'm sorry. I refuse to be believe anyone can be so unaware of what an issue is when people make posts? 

You think this is about about some "  famous guy sleeping with women  "  or  " some black famous guy sleeping with women "  ...you think this is about his race?

I still can't believe you could be that stupid and uninformed? You must be trolling  :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The Charlie Sheen comparison is an odd one, since his reputation was trashed publicly for a number of months when he went off the rails.  The difference is he hasn't been accused of the same crimes and he never had much of a stellar reputation to begin with.  Bill Cosby was America's Dad, he had a lot higher of a perch to fall from.  

But yeah, lets make it about race.   :rolleyes:  

Sharp_One may be the worst person one these forums.  I know we have a few good contenders, but he has a real strong mix of abrasiveness and ignorance that blends with his obsession with race and gender identity.  He is definitely a top 5 candidate.   :banana:

• Like 2

Sharp_One may be the worst person one these forums.  I know we have a few good contenders, but he has a real strong mix of abrasiveness and ignorance that blends with his obsession with race and gender identity.  He is definitely a top 5 candidate.   :banana:

Yes he is actually in my top 3 list  of " most dysfunctional  posters  " on these forums 

And we know what  a racist he is so  this whole "  I care about  Bill Cosby because he is a black man just being slandered for being a black man "   almost makes me want to vomit its so patently hypocritical coming from him of all people  :blink:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bruce accusing people of trolling, hah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm kinda curious about the phrase 'he gave them drugs'. That's not exactly the same as 'drugging' someone, which implies lack of concent and maliciousness. Which is it ?

It isn't, but given people can't consent to things while stoned off their mind even if they got so willingly (being stupid as that is..) it has the same end.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bruce may get under people's skin, but he seems to actually enjoy being here and discussing things.  He's also a real person who shares details about his life (or at least has developed an excellent cover story!)    

Sharp_One has had a few gems like this:

I think we (white male heterosexuals) were nice for to long now and we gave to much freedom to minorities (racial, sexual etc.). They forgot who gave them those pretty little toys: freedom, rights etc., and now they think those are granted. No sweeties, we gave them to you and we will take it back. 

I mean it is entertaining, but he's basically like one of the commentators on all the yahoo news stories.  I'd probably moderate the heck out of him, but that's why I don't wear that hat.  :p   

Still, he's not all that original, we've had better trolls in the past.  And he will probably wander off before he hits too many more posts, like so many before him.  I mean I could be wrong, who would have though Oby would still show up from time to time?  But I'm probably right.   :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Bruce accusing people of trolling, hah.

Malc it hurts my feelings when you say things like that   :blink:

John Milton 

Yes he is actually in my top 3 list  of " most dysfunctional  posters  " on these forums

What do I need to do to get back out on top, guys? :alien:

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Enjoying yourself here or being a 'real' person (sharing your personal life with Internet randoms means something, apparently) doesn't really matter that much when it comes to Bruce.

Then again, maybe he actually believes the stuff he posts.

"Sharp_One may be the worst person one these forums.  I know we have a few good contenders, but he has a real strong mix of abrasiveness and ignorance that blends with his obsession with race and gender identity.  He is definitely a top 5 candidate."

Nah. You, Bruce, Alum, and myself are the top 4. So, Sharp might be 5th. Might.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Enjoying yourself here or being a 'real' person (sharing your personal life with Internet randoms means something, apparently) doesn't really matter that much when it comes to Bruce.

Then again, maybe he actually believes the stuff he posts.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, why does it not matter when it comes to Bruce?

I would hope your sharing of work and life issues would mean something, otherwise it would seem to be a rather big waste of time.  I know that I've always appreciated this community both as a sounding board and place of commiseration and debate.  It may be a somewhat dysfunctional community, but there are a number that are much worse, and at the end of the day, it is ours.  

• Like 1

I think his point (I'm guessing and projecting a little here, since the top sentence seems a little distorted) may have been it sounded like you were belittling at least a small amount those who don't share details of their own personal lives and instead participate in these discussions in other ways...versus those who do do so (e.g. Bruce). I don't really agree with the sentiment that you should be revealing facets of your own life to be a "real" person here, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. :)

(e): I butchered (and now fixed) a sentence

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I think his point (I'm guessing and projecting a little here, since the top sentence seems a little distorted) may have been it sounded like you were belittling at least a small amount those who don't share details of their own personal lives as opposed to those who participate in these discussions in other ways...versus those who do (e.g. Bruce). I don't really agree with the sentiment that you should be revealing facets of your own life to be a "real" person here, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. :)

Ah, well I definitely don't mean to belittle those who don't share personal stuff.  Although really, if you hang around long enough, some of your secrets are bound to come out.  :p

I'd say it is tough to distinguish yourself from a one dimensional character if you don't share a little bit about where you are coming from.  Some people like to put it all out there right away, like Bruce, and some people share bits and pieces over time.  In time you will all assimilate.

574818-borg4.jpg

• Like 2

*shrug* Some things, I don't mind talking about...my love of Disney movies, my love of history (particularly the Greeks and the Romans), a few of my mental oddities...and there are other things I won't ever talk about no matter what*. It varies from person to person. :)

*Particularly because this is a public forum, where certain things being associated with my alias could be not good for me. I'm a somewhat paranoid person. ;)

Edited by Bartimaeus

I think his point (I'm guessing and projecting a little here, since the top sentence seems a little distorted) may have been it sounded like you were belittling at least a small amount those who don't share details of their own personal lives and instead participate in these discussions in other ways...versus those who do do so (e.g. Bruce). I don't really agree with the sentiment that you should be revealing facets of your own life to be a "real" person here, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. :)

(e): I butchered (and now fixed) a sentence

Not really, just that that isn't relevant about him being a troll or not.

I think his point (I'm guessing and projecting a little here, since the top sentence seems a little distorted) may have been it sounded like you were belittling at least a small amount those who don't share details of their own personal lives as opposed to those who participate in these discussions in other ways...versus those who do (e.g. Bruce). I don't really agree with the sentiment that you should be revealing facets of your own life to be a "real" person here, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. :)

Ah, well I definitely don't mean to belittle those who don't share personal stuff.  Although really, if you hang around long enough, some of your secrets are bound to come out.   :p

I'd say it is tough to distinguish yourself from a one dimensional character if you don't share a little bit about where you are coming from.  Some people like to put it all out there right away, like Bruce, and some people share bits and pieces over time.  In time you will all assimilate.

*shrug* Some things, I don't mind talking about...my love of Disney movies, my love of history (particularly the Greeks and the Romans), a few of my mental oddities...and there are other things I won't ever talk about no matter what*. It varies from person to person. :)

*Particularly because this is a public forum, where certain things being associated with my alias could be not good for me. I'm a somewhat paranoid person. ;)

Hurlshot is right. What he is saying is that over time people who are part of an Internet community will naturally share details about there personal life. This is normal human nature as people feel relaxed about who they spend months if not years having debates with 

Barti you have already  shared personal details, for example you have been honest about how you have battled depression and you mentioned stories about your grandfather 

Now of course we all have different degrees of openness and what we are prepared to share but the most important point about sharing stories is people must feel they can say something without fear of ridicule. And I think this forum does have a culture where people can be honest and get constructive feedback around personal issues...and that is something we should celebrate 

It makes the forum more real and not just some amorphous realm of names and threads where you don't know how people will respond or where you can't ask for honest advice about RL events :)

John Milton 

On the subject of sharing vs anonymity (and trolling):

I maintain that despite being a factor in online harassment anonymity is still an important cornerstone to the internet. I'm sure many people were members here long before they shared any personal information - I know I was - and many of them might not have been if there was no anonymity. I will always want a certain degree of anonymity. I doubt I would have registered if that anonymity wasn't there. I'm very self-conscious and the anonymity of forums is a big factor in what draws me to them. And while being entirely anonymous might cause some people to not trust what you say, there's also the opposite - judged by what you have shared. What did they say in the other thread, Bruce? You didn't know what you were talking about because your family was rich, or somesuch? It evens out.

Plus, I would rather not associate my real name with this place, not because I want to have the freedom of anonymity to hide behind now but because I used to do that. I've been here since I was a dumb 16 year old kid and I have said many, many idiotic things that I never would have lived down were I not anonymous and even long after that I was able to lose my temper and sling unwarranted insults occassionally. I've also complained about my job, my boss, the clients we did work for. I would rather not have someone (prospective employers, perhaps) be able to find that when googling my name, you see? I've shared enough that I'm sure if someone combed through my posts eventually they'll be able to find who I am, but it's not easily accessible and I want to keep it that way.

My own experience and wishes aside, there's also the fact that as far as I can tell, not a lot of us are minorities or different sexualities. Anonymity is an important factor to the internet for LGBT or ethnicities or even women to escape prejudice or come to grips with their identity. How many closeted homosexuals or transsexuals were too scared to even face it, let alone come out, until they found support online where they had the safety of anonymity? Or even in simpler circumstances: I know my girlfriend will often switch to gender neutral screennames if she's tired of being treated differently when she's gaming online. I have very little experience with needing to do that - the only prejudice against me personally that I've ever encountered was from crazy radfems and even that's been minor (although irksome), so for me anonymity is mostly a preference. For them it's much more important.

In short: Anonymity isn't just a roadblock that enables trolls, it's important to many people, and some people will never be comfortable sharing things from their life. I don't think people should be required to share to be considered real, but they do have to consider that people might not take them as seriously.

• Like 2

On the subject of sharing vs anonymity (and trolling):

I maintain that despite being a factor in online harassment anonymity is still an important cornerstone to the internet. I'm sure many people were members here long before they shared any personal information - I know I was - and many of them might not have been if there was no anonymity. I will always want a certain degree of anonymity. I doubt I would have registered if that anonymity wasn't there. I'm very self-conscious and the anonymity of forums is a big factor in what draws me to them. And while being entirely anonymous might cause some people to not trust what you say, there's also the opposite - judged by what you have shared. What did they say in the other thread, Bruce? You didn't know what you were talking about because your family was rich, or somesuch? It evens out.

Plus, I would rather not associate my real name with this place, not because I want to have the freedom of anonymity to hide behind now but because I used to do that. I've been here since I was a dumb 16 year old kid and I have said many, many idiotic things that I never would have lived down were I not anonymous and even long after that I was able to lose my temper and sling unwarranted insults occassionally. I've also complained about my job, my boss, the clients we did work for. I would rather not have someone (prospective employers, perhaps) be able to find that when googling my name, you see? I've shared enough that I'm sure if someone combed through my posts eventually they'll be able to find who I am, but it's not easily accessible and I want to keep it that way.

My own experience and wishes aside, there's also the fact that as far as I can tell, not a lot of us are minorities or different sexualities. Anonymity is an important factor to the internet for LGBT or ethnicities or even women to escape prejudice or come to grips with their identity. How many closeted homosexuals or transsexuals were too scared to even face it, let alone come out, until they found support online where they had the safety of anonymity? Or even in simpler circumstances: I know my girlfriend will often switch to gender neutral screennames if she's tired of being treated differently when she's gaming online. I have very little experience with needing to do that - the only prejudice against me personally that I've ever encountered was from crazy radfems and even that's been minor (although irksome), so for me anonymity is mostly a preference. For them it's much more important.

In short: Anonymity isn't just a roadblock that enables trolls, it's important to many people, and some people will never be comfortable sharing things from their life. I don't think people should be required to share to be considered real, but they do have to consider that people might not take them as seriously.

You make some excellent overall points. And just to add to my personal experiences, I have never said " my family is rich ". I have shared that my family owns property in London and Monte made that assumption. I think it is ostentatious and lacks class  to be boastful about ones personal wealth considering the fact we live in a world with such an inimical gap between rich and poor . But in my case I had to be honest because it is an important part of what formulates my view and opinion on several subjects 

So I am not going to lie about the fact we are probably better off than many people, but what is missed from my view is the wrong questions get asked. Instead of Monte thinking " I wonder what he could share with us about what he and his family do for a living to achieve reasonable financial success " I basically get  attacked with comments like  "well what do you know about the  trials and tribulations of  the economic status of working class people ...your family is loaded ". 

And I am not going to apologize for working hard and being diligent and then seeing the success of that hard work. I could lie to make people feel better and make populist statements like " Capitalism is about the abuse of workers " or "free markets are wrong " or "  certain EU governments don't need to make serious restructures in there public sectors " but why should  I lie  just to get people to believe a false narrative ?

I believe in Capitalism and free markets and I firmly believe these systems offer the citizens of any country the best way to uplift themselves economically and socially. But I also believe in the state being involved in certain areas of the overall economy.  So as I have mentioned before I believe that the Scandinavian countries have the best overall system of government which is a hybrid Capitalist\Socialist model 

And what does that mean? High taxes but a very efficient  government public sector  that provide excellent public institutions, like education and healthcare, and efficient service delivery. But the growth of the economy must be maintained by the private sector. This model does work but it requires a high employment rate as everyone needs to contribute towards the tax base or the system and the government contribution falls apart. This is the biggest issue with this type of economic model in Africa...we have far too many people on social grants or unemployed. So there is less money generated from tax revenue to make really meaningful changes in many cases

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

So he told you to check your privilege? :lol:

I kid, I kid. But that sorta proves what I'm saying, you shared even less than I thought you did and you got disregarded for it in another instance. Being more "real" in a community can often be a good thing, but sometimes a drawback.

• 10 months later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3606778/Bill-Cosby-arrives-court-smiling-waving-s-set-come-face-face-woman-accused-rape-time-decade.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Guys I said this was inevitable ....and his  wife is still standing by him .....50 + women accusing him, what is wrong with his wife ?

John Milton