The Insane Beta Battles @ Crossing

The beetles are challenging on normal, but once that poison is on you you're pretty much screwed. Thankfully wood beetles aren't half as hardy as stone beetles, a few well placed range shots and magic missile were enough for me to take them down.

After patch, combat is maybe a little harder - I assume to due to skill rebalancing. Challenging but doable. Have to say, after the beetles I waltzed my way through the spider cave until my cipher got caught in a wall and bought it.

There is a Priest's spell that cancel negative effects. It is an overtime AOE called Suppress Affliction (level 2). There is no reason to not use it against the beetles. It will cancel the poison effect in place and make it impossible to get poisoned has long has it's up...

Cheers man! I read somewhere the beetles' poison was unremovable after a few seconds...whether or not that was a bug. But good to know!

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

Also for those interested our paper is at around about this amount of completion

Section 1: 99.99999% - just need to check for grammatical tense and consistency

Section 2: 95% - Matt needs to finish off a new graph and a paragraph

Section 3: ~75% - I need to do the section conclusion and Matt needs to do an edit pass and add in needed graphs.

Then I need to do a final edit mostly on grammatical tense and consistency across the paper.

Status update

Section 1: Complete

Section 2: 95% - same as before - missing a graph and a paragraph and partial edit from Matt.

Section 3: ~85%, my first pass is in, need Matt to do an edit pass and add graphs

THAT's why I took so much damage, hahahah.

My rogue died after combat ended last night because of Corrosive Siphon.  It stayed on her longer than on the other party members.

Last night adventure was a bit of a bust overall though. Melee Priest trying to cast Suppress Affliction while being poisoned is a no go. We really need another class that can remove these things (Chanter only remove a subsets, Paladin only delays, Monk is too selfish) or scroll/potions (actually there might be potions, I didn't check the entire listing).

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

About those beetles. I figured out what I was doing wrong... and I don't feel too bad about it.

I was using warhammer + shield. Crushing damage + extra deflection. Warhammers are really wimpy. With the morningstar + that staff from Dracogen, the stone beetles do go down pretty fast.

Two-handers should do more damage, but one-handers feel definitely underpowered by comparison.

(Those cult archers with their Deep Wounds will ruin your day though. Ouch.)

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Haven't you read my statements about 1H weapons PrimeJunta / Watched my videos ?

All weapons faster than 2H are absolutely terrible, except Stilettos and Maces, due to their DT negation. The damage ranges are balanced against 0 DT, so when DT packs on, the faster weapons fall off because the effective DT rises by the same percentile speed increase that they have over the 2H weapons.

Edited by Sensuki

I did. It just took a while to sink in.

Also there's a certain dearth of 2H weapons in the demo. If I head straight to the beetles, as I often do, all I have is the morning star.

Recently I've also mostly played casters, which means my tactic has been to send the fighter in front in maximum tank mode and have the casters do the damage. This time I rolled a second fighter and grabbed the stuff from Medreth for the arquebus. They did go down faster.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Tried it. Yep, the estoc packs a punch. Also I get the feeling it pays to take those weapon focus/specialization talents.

It's interesting how different the difficulty feels with two fighters rather than an extra offensive caster. The beetles are way easier; go down with getting nary an attack in, but I have much more trouble with the swarm of spiders in the ogre cave. With another druid, wizard, or cipher throwing a nice CC combo they go down fast, but with the two fighters trying to hold a line against their stacking poison and petrification they're pretty rough; I often have at least one or two go down in that fight.

I dig that. This is how it should be -- with a different party, some things should be easier, others harder.

• Like 4

Matt has finished his edit of Section 3 and the Conclusion. He's now reading over the whole paper one more time before handing it to me for my final edit. When I am done I will hand it back to Matt, who will produce the .pdf with Table of Contents and List of Figures.

ETA is less than a day away, most likely.

• Like 2

Okay I've just finished reading Matt's edit. Holy cow this is amazing. This is also some of the best work I've ever done in my life, so I cannot wait to put the finishing touches on this and put it out for everyone to read tomorrow ^_^

• Like 1

I will be making a thread here in a couple of hours. I just handed in the final version to Matt to be converted to a .pdf with table of contents 

When he passes that back I'll start recording my narrated version.

As soon as my video is uploaded to youtube, I will begin making the thread here.

The final word count is ~8550 words

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...