Josh Sawyer visually explains Attack & Recovery

TrueMenace

They should though. I think there is some apprehension due to the lead designer being more familiar with turn based. Action Speed (Recovery Time) is equal to Might per % when DT is 0, when DT > 0, Might is better.

There is an ability called Deleterious Alacrity of Motion that increases the Wizard's recovery time but drains their stamina - actually a crummy ability. Get this right - 1.5x attack speed for 15 seconds and drains 97.5 Stamina over that time. For the chance to quite literally, make one extra spell cast. LOL.

In turn based, extra Action Points is almost always OP. If you have 6AP and get 1 extra AP, you get a 16.67% increase in movement speed (1/6). If you have 5AP and are given an extra AP, and a shot takes 3 AP, your DPR is increased by 50%.

It's nowhere near as bad in Realtime combat when used as a percentage.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

The bigger problem of this system is that during recovery time you cannot move. The system should be changed that moving during recovery makes recovery last 2x long, but not stop. In effect it makes tactical positioning a bad decision in all situations, something that was a big problem in 3e D&D and changed in 4e (which J.E. Sawyer loves). It also needlessly nerfs melee character that lose on attacks when needing to close distance to target. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see enough benefit to play with 1H and no shield. Sabre fighting and fencing can be pretty cool -- at least, for a duel. :) I look forward to the trade-offs of different weapon styles. ^_^

I think 1H weapons have the penalty regardless of whether or not you're using a shield, actually.

That accuracy bonus best be balls hard and have me critting every 3-5 attacks.  I guess I could still see it being viable for a Rogue or maybe a Cipher.... but for Fighter, Barbarian, and Paladin?  Not seeing it.

I dunno about critting every 3-5 attacks - as I said, it depends on the current value of your enemy's deflection. If you're fighting an enemy with higher deflection than your accuracy, it'll decrease your chance of missing. If you're fighting an enemy with lower deflection than your accuracy though, you'll get +15% to crit - which is quite significant. IMO though, 1H with no shield is plenty strong.

Its good that they buffed 2 handers. They sucked in the IE games and people only used the holy avenger because of op dispel.

Gromnir is right, btw. Twf means you can enchant two weapons. You cant forget the value of that.

Edit:

I hope there are talents to further develop the one handed + no shield fighting style. It is often very neglected and yet is so iconic. An accuracy bomus seems like its not enough.

What?!

They did most damage and taking two points in two handed weapon style let you critical hit on 19 and 20 which meant even more damage. Minsc and later Dorn were always my biggest damage dealers as far as fighters go.

My Ranger/Cleric wielding a Crom Faeyr and a Flail of Ages was always my party's murder king.

The bigger problem of this system is that during recovery time you cannot move. The system should be changed that moving during recovery makes recovery last 2x long, but not stop. In effect it makes tactical positioning a bad decision in all situations, something that was a big problem in 3e D&D and changed in 4e (which J.E. Sawyer loves). It also needlessly nerfs melee character that lose on attacks when needing to close distance to target. 

This is one of the things I was planning suggesting.

This is one of the things I was planning suggesting.

Also moving during recovery should slow down movement a bit so those that use it for kiting move slower than those that already recovered and are just chasing them to hit them.

UPDATED VERSION:

So what I can see from this, heavy armour with dual-wielding seems disincentiviced (+50% extra time between attacks for heavy armour compared to 33% with one-hand + shield or two handed).

Is 2H recovery from chart used for ranged weapons as well?

Edited by limaxophobiacq

So what I can see from this, heavy armour with dual-wielding seems disincentiviced (+50% extra time between attacks for heavy armour compared to 33% with one-hand + shield or two handed).

Depends on how you look at it - each attack still has the same amount added to it as it would've if you were single-wielding. Only difference is that it's a higher percentage of the previous time. So I suppose armor does affect the dps of a dual-wielder more than that of a single-wielder. Hmm. Interesting.

I posted that in my PM :p

Follows the same rule as attack speed in general

The Estoc is the best melee weapon by miles atm.

Now I know why they used armor percentage reduction in Warcraft 3.

Edited by Sensuki