Watching the video this morning i noticed when the party was exploring the cave the fog of war evaporating revealed things on the other side of walls. Specifically you can see it around the 1:45 mark. You can see parts of the Ogre's lair long before it is in the line of sight of any of the characters. Do you think this is intentional? It seems unfair to be able to scout out rooms without entering them from the other side of the wall.

• Like 1

It's probably a mistake or unwanted result of adding increased range to LoS since vision range was so short at first.

I imagine that walls will block LoS in the future.

Well the characters probably can't cast through a wall I meant player vision, although some of the beta testers can make sure that we can't cast spells through(or over) walls  ;)

Edited by GreyFox
  • Like 1

Well the characters probably can't cast through a wall I meant player vision, although some of the beta testers can make sure that we can't cast spells through(or over) walls  ;)

"Let's see... I'm just gonna lob that lightning bolt over the wall... Seems legit!"

• Like 1

"Let's see... I'm just gonna lob that lightning bolt over the wall... Seems legit!"

Off the expressway, over the river, off the billboard, through the window, off the wall...nothing but net.*

*see

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm also voting for "most likely unintentional." Although, it'd be cool if there were some intentional ways to see on the other side of walls. :)

Also... is it sad that I now want a Druid spell called "Fog of War" that produces an area of mist which bolsters your allies' fighting capabilities? ^_^

That's on up there with my D&D weapon idea -- a Length of Chain enchanted with the Command spell... The Chain of Command.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yeah this was noticeable in the Giantbomb First Look EX as well, I brought it up in my thread about it.

I also don't like how enemies have a smaller radii than the party and can't see you 10m away. Maybe that's related to difficulty settings though I dunno. When a non-sneaking party member reveals an enemy further away, they should attack you, unless they have a reason not to.

• Like 1

I for one am happy they increased the sight range and toned down the Fog of War myself.  In the initial video's they did of the games starting area it was wayyyyyy too close in to the party.

I think it might be a bit too far now, but I don't really care as long as in the release version, enemies attack you on sight.

What if the various types of enemies and creatures have different seeing? A beetle, presumably, won't really see that much beyond 10 meters, whereas a bandit might have quite the exceptional eyesight and spot you from 100 meters.

Fog of war annoys me so much especially playing BG at the moment. My characters can't even see more than what seems to be about 20m in an open field. The entire screen should just be open unless a wall etc is blocking the vision, you can't zoom out longer than the eye could easily see. At the same time that means enemies should attack you sooner if they have normal vision but the character vision is limited in a way that doesn't make sense

Edited by Bli1942

I think it might be a bit too far now, but I don't really care as long as in the release version, enemies attack you on sight.

What if the various types of enemies and creatures have different seeing? A beetle, presumably, won't really see that much beyond 10 meters, whereas a bandit might have quite the exceptional eyesight and spot you from 100 meters.

This makes the most sense to me. It should probably be based upon some sort of stat roll whether they attack. Some combo of enemy perception x distance away adjusted for your stealth.

It's been an issue for all enemies so far I think, except for (oddly enough) the Black Ooze.

Yeah this was noticeable in the Giantbomb First Look EX as well, I brought it up in my thread about it.

I also don't like how enemies have a smaller radii than the party and can't see you 10m away. Maybe that's related to difficulty settings though I dunno. When a non-sneaking party member reveals an enemy further away, they should attack you, unless they have a reason not to.

I personally would rather have the enemies come after you as well.

Like others have said a few enemies may not do that but the more intelligent or those who value self preservation should attack you or set up defensively.

I really kinda wish Perception affected it. In concept. Of course, if you've got a party of 6, then odds are, someone's got high Perception. In which case, as long as they're standing nearby, their sight range will effectively override lesser-Perception-members' sight ranges. *shrug*

Still. It'd be nice if your 18 PER ranger could see 1.5X as far as anyone else in your party.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u