The "Cool" Images Thread

Agiel

I too got a folder full of em, so if there is interest I'll post more.

It's what this thread is here for ;)

There's a bunch of great photos from the First Gulf War:

Kuwait_burn_oilfield.png

"I don't know of any military man who really enjoys combat. It is something you learn to hate. You hate it because it's wasteful and because of the loss of life, and you actually feel a sense of immorality in the taking of life."

-General Charles "Chuck" Horner, lead air planner of Operation Desert Storm.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

• 1 month later...

hyqYHan.jpg

Do love modern helmets with HMDs. Speaking of helmets...

92dfd13cf09c11e1adac22000a1cf586_7.jpg

tumblr_mze56ieFv51s3moi2o1_500.jpg

f-35-helmet-2.jpg

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Ooh, I love helmets. My first was a black Shoei RF200 ... when it came in the mail, before I even had a bike, I wore it for a little bit in bed at night because I'm weird. 

Not a super cool image, but this is my current lid, an older X11 Wayne Rainey rep. 

DSCN0626.jpg

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Ooh, I love helmets. My first was a black Shoei RF200 ... when it came in the mail, before I even had a bike, I wore it for a little bit in bed at night because I'm weird. 

I was like that when I got my leathers and wore them on campus before I actually had my bike. It was a fantastic way to pick up chicks... until they asked to see the bike :D

-Rod Serling

post-72-0-58514400-1411109755_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-48468000-1411109785_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-76941000-1411109817_thumb.jpg

last one is for oby. is kids beating a gay rights activist in russia... 'cause that is what kids in russia do for fun?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Have some pink, y'all. Cherry trees are cool.

pinkish.jpg

JFSOOC's left out my personal favorite picture snapped of Salar de Tunupa:

iUbc1oUwf2p5t.jpg

Blue lava, color's due to burning sulphur gases. My research didn't manage to turn up what kind of sulphur gas are we talking about, even though I was keen on gaining geek cred by flaunting my l33t chemistry sk1llz.

ib2HV9F553Vuyp.jpg

i4BItVWRuoY4P.jpg

Let's not forget the Glass Beach, where the shards of glass bottles dumped into the ocean got smoothed over by... erosion, I guess, then washed out onto the shore:

ibibzoZXG9DjTB.jpg

Finally, I have no inane comments to add about this one:

iVJTDIrqgoe8i.jpg

• Like 4

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

post-72-0-66381500-1411522962_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-75442600-1411522991_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-10898300-1411523026_thumb.jpg

last image is of bubblegum alley in palo alto, ca.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

post-72-0-43333500-1412021216_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-50752000-1412021322_thumb.jpg

is a pre-ww2 (1931?) monowheel. supposed could do 150kph... though am guessing the ride were a bit rough.

post-72-0-72998400-1412021393_thumb.jpg

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

tumblr_ncnnv3mEcI1ti8fr5o1_1280.jpg

jidz5ZH.jpg

w22_RTR47LD8.jpg

Alaa, an ambulance driver, feeds cats in Masaken Hanano in Aleppo, Syria, on September 24, 2014. Alaa buys about $4 of meat everyday to feed about 150 abandoned cats in Masaken Hanano, a neighborhood in Aleppo that has been abandoned because of shelling from forces loyal to Syria's president Bashar Al-Assad. Alaa said that he has been feeding and taking care of the cats for over 2 months. (Reuters/Hosam Katan)
  • Like 1

-Rod Serling

• 1 month later...

1315882309214.jpg

• Like 1

-Rod Serling

Uh my cool picture folder is currently at 4k pictures, so it's a little hard to sift though it. Here are the ones that are my current backgrounds:

aLDgmtH.jpg

If this is what the future looks like I'll be happy.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

14a354dcc0e4642f670f6a7067001b5b.jpg

Orion launch, following another milestone of the first F-35C carrier trials aboard USS Nimitz:

F-35C-first-catapult-launches1.jpg

Exploring other worlds employs precisely the same qualities of daring, planning, cooperative enterprise, and valor that mark the finest in military tradition. Never mind the night launch of an Apollo spacecraft bound for another world. That makes the conclusion foregone. Witness mere F-14s taking off from adjacent flight decks, gracefully canting left and right, afterburners flaming, and there’s something that sweeps you away—or at least it does me. And no amount of knowledge of the potential abuses of carrier task forces can affect the depth of that feeling. It simply speaks to another part of me. It doesn’t want recriminations or politics. It just wants to fly.”

-Carl Sagan

• Like 1

-Rod Serling

It would be an accomplishment if there was some point to going there, the top of Everest or whatever. As it is it's just a hobby for rich mid life crisis afflicted people. 

The point is having fun, genius, thats what a hobby is all about. A hobby doesn't need to have a deeper meaning. Also I'm a mountain climber and I do not fit any of your strange stereotypes. 

And this begs a question, do your hobbies have a deeper meaning or do they have a point? 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Like most of the more demanding hobbies they make little sense and have little appeal if you have never tried them, but I can tell you once you really give them a try its completely different, like entering another world. Trying to understand mountain climbing or weight lifting etc without ever having tried those activities is completely futile. Before I really go into those hobbies I didn't understand them either, but I gave them a try and I've got totally hooked.

Anyway, Saturn and the little dot is earth, shot by the Cassini probe.

lBwvRwk.jpg

Mars sunset. 

1381995121519_mars_sunset.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 4

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I guess I just don't understand you endophine junkies who like to torture yourselves with various kinds of strenuous physical activity. It's alll kinds of dangerous, the view is nice, but surely that wears off after 5 mins. 

Well I wouldn't classify myself as an endophine junkie, but I know that mountain hikes do stick with me, memory-wise. Enough so that I want to keep going back. Perhaps it's a combination of the clean snappy air, beautiful views, and strenuous activity?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."