Backer Beta: Coming August 18th

Been watching a couple of the E3 demo videos, its looking good, way more IE than I had expected/hoped it would. Can't wait to play it though I realised that my level doesn't actually include the beta. Curses. (That said my nose is pretty deeply buried into Divinity: Original Sin at the moment :disguise: )

I'm mostly just curious at the moment to see what the performance will be like on my comp as its getting long in the tooth, at least GFX wise. (Playing D:OS at 5-10 FPS @ 1280x800 on lowest detail levels)

Josh Sawyer said this over at the Something Awful thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593502&userid=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=8):

We don't have final specs but min res is 1280x720 and I'd really like it to be able to run well on 5+ year old machines. Memory is probably the biggest issue right now, but we're working on it and will continue to do so up until we launch.

• Like 1

Josh Sawyer said this over at the Something Awful thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593502&userid=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=8):

We don't have final specs but min res is 1280x720 and I'd really like it to be able to run well on 5+ year old machines. Memory is probably the biggest issue right now, but we're working on it and will continue to do so up until we launch.

Cheers for that MasterPrudent. Fingers crossed then, my worry was/is my 256mb NVidia 9400M

• Like 1

I am soo giddy Boo is giddy we will all be heros again WOOHH!! Honestly been waiting silently since I donated for kick start only wish I had more money at the time for this game. I Will be 100% willing to give any positive no whiny feedback on the game for beta. To see  the devs hard work art and story mhhhh  new book smell.  AHgg I wander if their going to release it in waves if so got to get my great sword cleaveing! 

Hey Jajo, if you haven't done so already it might be worth contacting support and seeing if they can help you out: https://eternity.obsidian.net/backer/contact

Thanks for the suggestion - will try that out.

Nevertheless, I do hope this gets fixed.

I've already been in touch with  support and received a response on the 17th July saying: "Our programmer is furiously adding support to the site to allow people with confirmed pledge orders to purchase additional addons. Stay tuned for an announcement from us shortly once that’s in. We’re hoping to have this all good to go next week.

Obviously it's been over a week but I imagine everyone is very busy!

• Like 2

Will it be only for $110+ or for every backer?

It's not for everyone no. It's for those who either backed at a tier that included $110+ OR bought beta access as a separate add on for their pledge. At the moment the only possible way to add beta access to an already existing pledge is to see if support can reset your pledge. Otherwise, as diabeetus indicated above, you can wait for them to add the functionality to the website.

(Personally I'd wait to see if they can get the functionality up and running before the beta - if only to avoid adding to the workload of what sounds like a very busy support team.)

Edited by MasterPrudent

I understand why they wouldn't but it's a shame that they haven't changed their mind like Larian and decide to offer everyone beta access :)

Methinks they need useful testing feedback a lot more than they need to just show off the game early. "Beta" nowadays has often come to mean "we're almost done; take a look! 8D!". Anywho, I guess requiring money for beta access is one way of ensuring some amount of dedication from the beta participants, instead of just letting 73,000 people in who all like the idea of playing the game early, and getting flooded with so much "WHY ISN'T THIS DONE YET?" "feedback" that it becomes an ordeal to actually sort through it to find the useful testing feedback. *shrug*

Dunno if it's the best way, but it's one way.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I understand why they wouldn't but it's a shame that they haven't changed their mind like Larian and decide to offer everyone beta access :)

It wouldn't surprise me if they open it up to all backers late in the beta cycle.

Anywho, I guess requiring money for beta access is one way of ensuring some amount of dedication from the beta participants, instead of just letting 73,000 people in who all like the idea of playing the game early, and getting flooded with so much "WHY ISN'T THIS DONE YET?" "feedback" that it becomes an ordeal to actually sort through it to find the useful testing feedback. *shrug*

Dunno if it's the best way, but it's one way.

I think it might be simpler than that. Beta access was a  desirable reward during the kickstarter process that encouraged people to pledge more than they otherwise would have. Now that the kickstarter is done it would be rather unfair of Obsidian to devalue people's pledges by opening up the beta to everyone. (Full disclosure: I did not pledge for beta access and do not intend to change that.)

• Like 1

^ Well, that too, but I was more thinking "why did they deem that beta access should cost money in the first place"?

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Been watching a couple of the E3 demo videos, its looking good, way more IE than I had expected/hoped it would. Can't wait to play it though I realised that my level doesn't actually include the beta. Curses. (That said my nose is pretty deeply buried into Divinity: Original Sin at the moment :disguise: )

I'm mostly just curious at the moment to see what the performance will be like on my comp as its getting long in the tooth, at least GFX wise. (Playing D:OS at 5-10 FPS @ 1280x800 on lowest detail levels)

Is the cruddy Dialogue in the beginning driving you nuts? I'm in the first area and its like everyone has some simile or metaphor that they want to talk about... if it weren't for the cool mechanics, environment interaction etc. I would have given up already. I already feel overwhelmed by the first town alone. I'm stll tryin to get my bareings down. I'm still enjoying the crap out of it tho. I just am getting impatient in my old age i think hehe.

^ Well, that too, but I was more thinking "why did they deem that beta access should cost money in the first place"?

Like I said (but maybe I'm being too cynical here): It was a good way to encourage people to pledge more money.

The challenge with these things is the logistics of value (they threw in a cookbook, for christ's sake).

People desire beta access, therefore beta access has value, therefore beta access can be used to help differentiate tiers without having to really produce anything. 

Replace "beta access" with anything else of value and ask yourself if the argument you made above still makes sense. Did they add beta access to some tiers so that people pledging at those tiers were getting something more for their support or did they do it to "bilk" more money out of people who were already pledging anyway?

Like I said (but maybe I'm being too cynical here): It was a good way to encourage people to pledge more money.

The challenge with these things is the logistics of value (they threw in a cookbook, for christ's sake).

People desire beta access, therefore beta access has value, therefore beta access can be used to help differentiate tiers without having to really produce anything. 

Replace "beta access" with anything else of value and ask yourself if the argument you made above still makes sense. Did they add beta access to some tiers so that people pledging at those tiers were getting something more for their support or did they do it to "bilk" more money out of people who were already pledging anyway?

Oh I have no problem with it and I certainly don't think people who paid for it are being hoodwinked or anything. I imagine they will have fun messing around with the game systems early. I just don't think that Obsidian were deliberately seeking a higher breed of beta tester as Lephys suggested they were.

Hello guys,

what's up with 83rd update?

Cheers

IRMA

As they said in their last update they're focusing on getting the game out the door now and as such will be releasing fewer updates on an irregular schedule.

Source: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66456-update-82-creatures/

Update Schedule

Hey, everyone. Brandon here. With production moving into the finalization phase for Eternity, the team and I are hunkering down to finish up the game over the next few months. Going forward, we will be spacing out our backer updates a bit more from now until the project ships. They’ll come a bit less predictably, but you can still expect updates as we have big announcements or special news for you. This will really help us focus as much of our efforts into putting out the best game we possibly can for everyone.

In our next big update, we will discuss the upcoming Backer Beta in more detail as well as what it will entail and how to redeem your copy.

• Like 1

Wow beta begins on my birthday and sadly I didn't choose to purchase enough as a backer to opt into it. Oh well, but grats to all the backers who will be participating. Please do a great job on behalf of the rest of us to find those nasty bugs!

• Like 1

I wonder if backers will be able to hit level cap during beta.  It would make sense to put in an arena kind of place with autoleveling if they couldn't, just for bug squashing.

Considering it's not the full game, I would hope not. I don't understand why people think 12 levels is too short. It's their game. They can do whatever they want.

• Like 1

I know! I can't wait!!

Although I fear, it may be slightly more than two weeks, especially in practical terms for Europeans. Steam perhaps want to put that update out like 19:00 PDT, and if that's correct, it will be able in Europe CET 4:00 AM the 19th. Anyone knows at what time it will be released on Steam?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***