Is there still no world cup thread? (the sequel)

Tale

In some ways I'd now like to see Algeria-France for historical reasons, but I have Germany in my bracket.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I can't believe how well France is playing compared to the last world cup, do you guys they they are serious contenders for the semi-finals ?

Absolutely, they've been very impressive.  However, assuming Germany wins later today as expected, that QF match is going to be a big time heavyweight bout.  

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In some ways I'd now like to see Algeria-France for historical reasons, but I have Germany in my bracket.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

I can't believe how well France is playing compared to the last world cup, do you guys they they are serious contenders for the semi-finals ?

Absolutely, they've been very impressive.  However, assuming Germany wins later today as expected, that QF match is going to be a big time heavyweight bout.  

You've raised a good point, if Germany wins does that mean they will have to play France in the QF?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yep, Quarterfinalists are the winners of the days matches in R16

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yep, Quarterfinalists are the winners of the days matches in R16

Okay interesting...I'm worried now. I want Germany to get through but France is looking very impressive

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hopefully Germany starts clicking. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Here's hoping Klose gets #16 today.

Germany looking flat

Wow, ze Germans are looking really shaky at the start here.  Algeria have clearly been the better side so far.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sheesh Germany need to step it up.  Moustafi's being ignored by his team mates when they go forward, heh.

It's by some distance the worst half I've seen from Germany since 2004.

Painful to watch, definitely think the 4 CBs at the back isn't really working out well. 

Algeria looked the superior side for 35 minutes, Germany stepped it up in the last 10 minutes of the 1st half.  It's still scoreless and it feels a bit like Algeria missed their chance.  You never know, though.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Sheesh, what is with the whistling.

This has been a real exciting 90 minutes of football, and we're getting 30 more.  :dancing:

And just like that ze Germans score in the 2nd minute of extra time.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Hide yo Peugeots, hide yo Citroën"

Heh.

Ozil seals it.  Jesus, they are going to get killed by France.

Worried for Germany because of France? Surely not. The French have been every bit as mediocre as the Germans since the first game. The Germans still have more players from which goals and individual moments can come; the French are well drilled but today's tactical experiment showed that they need Benzema down the middle, Griezmann penetrating the flanks and Valbuena spreading the ball for them to really find the goal. i.e. with Ribery injured and Pogba not yet quite firing, they only really have one plan. Germany may have one plan but they have a lot more depth and ability to execute it, and they can always Klose it up. 

• Like 2