Dragon Age: Inquistion

Rosbjerg

At the very least it will be a fun game.

I'm honestly of the view that DA:I is going to be an amazing game. I think Bioware has learnt from the past mistakes of DA2 and the gameplay and fun factor of DA:I is going to blow us away :dancing:

not to be a downer, but we thought mass effect 3 would be a significant improvement over mass effect 1 and 2, seeing as how bioware had been vocal that they had,  "learnt from the past mistakes."

is some serious slow learners at bio?

we typical like their games, but nowadays, we take any bio claim 'bout game improvements or features as eye-roll fodder. we waited a full year post-release to play mass effect 3 and we don't regret that choice. we got a more stable game with additional content added... but game were still kinda lacking in may ways. am guessing we wait a similar 'mount of time to play da:i.

as an aside, having a silly freaking ninja show up in da:i would be stoopid, but not nearly as ridiculous as it were in mass effect 3. note to bioware: ninjas does not make every game kewler. in point o' fact, am thinking that no game were ever made kewler by including ninjas... even ninja games.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If I do get it, I think I'll give it a go on the PS4. I've never really played an RPG on a console before so it's about time I tried.

Believe me, a DA, it's only on PC (I have origins on PC & 360) The tactical view is missing on console. 

Agreed, Grom.

There's something magical* about Bioware that makes many people suspend their disbelief, a bit like a battered wife who thinks her husband will stop hitting her because of The Power of Love.

I'm personally a big advocate of 'Once Bitten Twice Shy,' which is why no Bioware game will ever be on my immediate must-buy list (I too will wait for patches and maybe a GotY edition type deal). But lots of otherwise intelligent, discerning gamers seem to abandon their critical faculties when it comes to those Canuck Funsters up in Edmonton.

A mystery, indeed.

* When I say magical, I mean in a sinister, Rosemary's Baby kinda way as opposed to Harry Potter.

sonsofgygax.JPG

You boys may be right and DA:I may be a disappointment but I say "hope springs eternal in the human breast "

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If I do get it, I think I'll give it a go on the PS4. I've never really played an RPG on a console before so it's about time I tried.

I played DAO on PS3 first. It was dire and my gf left me. I think it also goes a long way of explaining why I prefer DA2 over it, in spite of having played it later on the PC as well.

The first was great, the second despite the story, -->not epic at all<-- for one time , was too simplified. I hope Bioware are learn of theirs mistakes for the sake of the ip.

While it's not the first time I've heard that inane complaint, it's certainly the absolutely worst thing to criticise as an aspect of DA2. If we're going to be saving the world ad infinitum, I'm holding YOU personally responsible for it.

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

am hesitant to mention as we suspect we will touch a nerve or we will make folks think we is taking light o' a serious situation...

*shrug*

battered wife syndrome is frequently the result o' a very calculated and practical cost v. benefit analysis.  a woman will often decide that getting beat on by her spouse is better than being single with multiple kids and no prospects. what makes such calculus truly horrific is that the battered woman's analysis is not always flawed. 

for the past few years, rpg fans has faced a similar conundrum: if not bioware, then who? spellbound and their b-list gothic games? witcher, perhaps? is a scary world for a crpg fan, and sticking by bioware probable were preferable to waiting a decade for the glorified vaporware from iron tower. 

maybe the kickstarter trio improves the situation? wateland 2 is looking better than we anticipated. on the other hand, every time josh posts about mechanics o' poe we cannot help but think he has been playing way too many mmo games. the torment successor looks interesting, and we like the setting, but monte cook's rules don't strike us as being particularly crpg friendly. regarldess, we does have some hope for the kickstarter trio... am just a bit leery at this point.

dunno. maybe it is better to just take another beating from bio, 'cause what else is there if you wanna play a crpg?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am hesitant to mention as we suspect we will touch a nerve or we will make folks think we is taking light o' a serious situation...

*shrug*

battered wife syndrome is frequently the result o' a very calculated and practical cost v. benefit analysis.  a woman will often decide that getting beat on by her spouse is better than being single with multiple kids and no prospects. what makes such calculus truly horrific is that the battered woman's analysis is not always flawed. 

for the past few years, rpg fans has faced a similar conundrum: if not bioware, then who? spellbound and their b-list gothic games? witcher, perhaps? is a scary world for a crpg fan, and sticking by bioware probable were preferable to waiting a decade for the glorified vaporware from iron tower. 

maybe the kickstarter trio improves the situation? wateland 2 is looking better than we anticipated. on the other hand, every time josh posts about mechanics o' poe we cannot help but think he has been playing way too many mmo games. the torment successor looks interesting, and we like the setting, but monte cook's rules don't strike us as being particularly crpg friendly. regarldess, we does have some hope for the kickstarter trio... am just a bit leery at this point.

dunno. maybe it is better to just take another beating from bio, 'cause what else is there if you wanna play a crpg?

HA! Good Fun!

While I find your analysis interesting, I'd like to point out that there's a, I suspect vast, majority of people who play Bioware's games that actually enjoy them for that they are without the Stockholm syndrome undertones.

• Like 3

no doubt there is many folks who genuinely enjoy bio games. we noted above that we likes bio games. that being said, we is concerned that part our approval o' bio games (albeit increasingly marginal approval) is in part due to the fact that they is the only game in town.

HA! Good Fun!

Guys. It's called addiction. To one's own misery. Bio fans probably know they are being exploited. But it is their way of feeling loved

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Guys don't forget, and I know many of you dismiss this, but Bioware games also offer Romance options  in an appealing and entertaining RPG experience. I can't stress enough how Romance is a contributing factor to why some  people invest time and money in RPG

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Guys don't forget, and I know many of you dismiss this, but Bioware games also offer Romance options  in an appealing and entertaining RPG experience. I can't stress enough how Romance is a contributing factor to why some  people invest time and money in RPG

Which is why their games are so creepy.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Now you're just trolling. :)

Monte I want to ask you an interesting question. In games like " Who wants to be a millionaire " when a contestant has the option to ask the audience and contestants see the results of what the audience thinks they mostly go with what the majority of the audience say is the correct answer? Why do you think that is, why don't they go with answers that don't reflect what the majority of people say is the right answer?

John Milton 

Now you're just trolling. :)

Not really, you don't think there aren't many fans of Bioware games who love the genres because of the Romance? Of course other factors are equally important but Romance is very relevant to many people

John Milton 

Monte I want to ask you an interesting question. In games like " Who wants to be a millionaire " when a contestant has the option to ask the audience and contestants see the results of what the audience thinks they mostly go with what the majority of the audience say is the correct answer? Why do you think that is, why don't they go with answers that don't reflect what the majority of people say is the right answer?

Define the "majority". I agree that among BSN specimens romance is a huge thing, and i agree that romances are a very major part why some people like recent Bioware games.

But what for the people WHO DON'T LIKE recent Bioware games? And for some of those people romance is one of the worst aspects of Bioware games.

Don't get me wrong, personaly i would say that a game should appeal to the people it was made for and the rest can go jump in a lake. But this is contrary to EA's Edmonton division Bioware's goal, which is appealing to the biggest posible audience, not only their previous game's fans. And among Obsidian/CDPR/Bethesda's fans bioware romances aren't seen as a good thing judging by their forums at least.

Skyrim's audience (which is what Bioware want to have) would be more interested in modding tools and horse penises armor than romancable companions. The lgbt romance crowd is already in Bioware's thrall, bought DA2 nd ME3 and possibly liked them and will continiue to do so. But all things are indicating that this audience isn't big enough to support Bioware, the same way the "old school" audience wasn't.

Edited by Malekith
  • Like 2

Not really, you don't think there aren't many fans of Bioware games who love the genres because of the Romance? Of course other factors are equally important but Romance is very relevant to many people

Surprising amount of deviants out there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

At the very least it will be a fun game.

I'm honestly of the view that DA:I is going to be an amazing game. I think Bioware has learnt from the past mistakes of DA2 and the gameplay and fun factor of DA:I is going to blow us away :dancing:

I'm with Bruce here - The game does look promising, if the gameplay is anyway near that of Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls, then it's gonna be a fun action game. I doubt it'll be any more an RPG than DA2 was but as long as the gameplay and everything is at least fun to play than that's good enough.  Think I'll end up getting it on the PS4 since they've dropped that imported save nonsense and I can't afford a new PC now. Gonna have to save up for one later.

Admittedly though, there aren't really that many other games I actually care or is excited about, coming out yet. I've mostly seen myself going backwards and playing older games before the evil of DRM & pre-order DLC.

Edited by TheChris92

True story: I've liked every Bioware game that I've played. Yes, even NWN official campaign.

That doesn't make them perfect, somehow even with their flaws I manage to be entertained to greater or lesser degrees. I imagine that a lot of the people who make Bio's audience fall into the same category as opposed to those vocal diehards posting regularly to their boards and the vocal anti-diehards (die-easies?) posting elsewhere.

As long as DA:I is an enjoyable game on its own terms, I'm okay with that without having to place it in some mythic pantheon of RPGs.

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Define the "majority". I agree that among BSN specimens romance is a huge thing, and i agree that romances are a very major part why some people like recent Bioware games.

But what for the people WHO DON'T LIKE recent Bioware games? And for some of those people romance is one of the worst aspects of Bioware games.

Don't get me wrong, personaly i would say that a game should appeal to the people it was made for and the rest can go jump in a lake. But this is contrary to EA's Edmonton division Bioware's goal, which is appealing to the biggest posible audience, not only their previous game's fans. And among Obsidian/CDPR/Bethesda's fans bioware romances aren't seen as a good thing judging by their forums at least.

Skyrim's audience (which is what Bioware want to have) would be more interested in modding tools and horse penises armor than romancable companions. The lgbt romance crowd is already in Bioware's thrall, bought DA2 nd ME3 and possibly liked them and will continiue to do so. But all things are indicating that this audience isn't big enough to support Bioware, the same way the "old school" audience wasn't.

That's an insightful post and you have basically raised what I was going to say to Monte. In the Bioware context of there games the majority of fans want Romance so it is silly to call them creepy. Romance and Bioware are inextricably linked. That's just the way it is and will continue to be. The only point I would raise is " what if you guys are the ones who are wrong about Romance and in fact they do improve the RPG experience?"

Just a thought, its like the guy who doesn't take the audiences answer in the " who wants to a millionaire" and he is wrong because he went against what the majority of people said ?

John Milton 

True story: I've liked every Bioware game that I've played. Yes, even NWN official campaign.

That doesn't make them perfect, somehow even with their flaws I manage to be entertained to greater or lesser degrees. I imagine that a lot of the people who make Bio's audience fall into the same category as opposed to those vocal diehards posting regularly to their boards and the vocal anti-diehards (die-easies?) posting elsewhere.

As long as DA:I is an enjoyable game on its own terms, I'm okay with that without having to place it in some mythic pantheon of RPGs.

I'm exactly the same, I have enjoyed every Bioware game I have played. Or maybe it is more fair to say the " good far outweighs the bad " around the overall Bioware  gaming experience . Nothing to be embarrassed about :)

John Milton 

I'm exactly the same, I have enjoyed every Bioware game I have played. Or maybe it is more fair to say the " good far outweighs the bad " around the overall Bioware  gaming experience . Nothing to be embarrassed about :)

I haven't (NWN OC).

Edited by Nepenthe

I'm not embarrassed. I just felt it should be pointed out that there's probably a fair lot of people who have enjoyed the Bio games even with their flaws like I do.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

some authors need an editor

Having been there and done that, 99.9% of authors need an editor. I need, on average, four or five re-writes.

That's what happens when you write romance novels, about a man and his tank.

The first was great, the second despite the story, -->not epic at all<-- for one time , was too simplified. I hope Bioware are learn of theirs mistakes for the sake of the ip.

While it's not the first time I've heard that inane complaint, it's certainly the absolutely worst thing to criticise as an aspect of DA2. If we're going to be saving the world ad infinitum, I'm holding YOU personally responsible for it.

DA2 story had more potential than any bioware tale to date, it finally wasn't a save the world story. Unfortunately (IMO) they didn't execute it properly, chose wrong direction/development time struggle.

• Like 4
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I played DAO on PS3 first. It was dire and my gf left me. I think it also goes a long way of explaining why I prefer DA2 over it, in spite of having played it later on the PC as well.

Is not a complaint. The story of Dragon Age II is the best thing of the game. Sorry if you have believe that. i'm not native english speaker and sometimes it's hard to understand me.  :getlost:

The worst in DA2 is ,imo, the simplified gameplay not compare with DA:O. and the same places during 50Hours. boring