Godlike mechanics and starting attributes

More than fair and reasonable sir, I was wondering more on why Godlike have a dexterity bonus however, an otherwordly grace perhaps?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So many possibilities...

-give them half the attribute bonus from the base race and then the Godlike-type specific attribute bonuses on top of it

-give them the full attribute bonus from the base race and then the Godlike-type specific attribute modifiers on top of it (even +/-)

-modify their attributes based on race only

Will a couple of +/- attribute points disrupt balance and require rigorous testing? Unlikely, but it's great for flavor.

• Like 2

Particularly, I would like to see all aspects of a Godlike's influence reflected. Take a Death Godlike for example. I would like to see them actually be more vulnerable to dying, rather than resistant to death/poison/damage effects, since their essence/nature is closer to Death itself. To elaborate, I'm hoping that a Godlike's soul is a result of a particular deity taking interest in its creation, rather than deciding to enhance an otherwise mundane soul. In this way, both sides of their proverbial coins are reflected instead of merely being a hyper-powered race.

• Like 2

I think Josh's explanation is par for the course given the time, budget, and resource allocation they have to work with.  Remember.......there's always the "inevitable" expansion right?

And whose to say what the modding community could do?  If modding is even supported, I can't remember if that was ever discussed during the KS campaign.

I think Josh's explanation is par for the course given the time, budget, and resource allocation they have to work with.  Remember.......there's always the "inevitable" expansion right?

I think the expansion for PoE is as inevitable as the expansion of a marshmallow in a microwave. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I think the expansion for PoE is as inevitable as the expansion of a marshmallow in a microwave. :)

Quick, someone remind Fearghus to plug the microwave in :nuke:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Why would you think that? The reason for "only" 4 types of godlikes is probably the same answer that's already given: not enough resources to create more.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

"They don't have the resurces to implement more than 4 types of Godlikes" I believe is what he meant.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"They don't have the resurces to implement more than 4 types of Godlikes" I believe is what he meant.

Doesn't that mean that there is only four gods, or am I misunderstanding something? AFAIK, a godlike is the union between one of the base races and a god. If there are only four types of godlike doesn't that point to their being only four gods?

IIRC, Godlikes are like the planetouched from D&D, which are humans infused with the essence of an element, celestial, or fiend. I don't believe Godlikes are the spawn of a base race and a god.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Doesn't that mean that there is only four gods, or am I misunderstanding something? AFAIK, a godlike is the union between one of the base races and a god. If there are only four types of godlike doesn't that point to their being only four gods?

Or that out of the multitude of gods, only four dally with mortals in ways that produce offspring...

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Doesn't that mean that there is only four gods, or am I misunderstanding something?

It very well could. What it means is simply that we can only choose from 4 different godlike variants when we create a character. Whether we will never see any more types than that in the world is kind of up to the devs' plans. It's entirely possible that there are more than 4 variants of godlike in the lore/world of PoE, but not available to the player because of race/sub-race design resource restrictions.

It's kinda like how MMO's often have expansions that "add in races." It's not that those races suddenly were born into the world. It's just that you couldn't play as them before that. Whether it's because they stick to a particular region and the story of the original game took place elsewhere mainly, etc., is, again, up to the devs.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Doesn't that mean that there is only four gods, or am I misunderstanding something?

It very well could. What it means is simply that we can only choose from 4 different godlike variants when we create a character. Whether we will never see any more types than that in the world is kind of up to the devs' plans. It's entirely possible that there are more than 4 variants of godlike in the lore/world of PoE, but not available to the player because of race/sub-race design resource restrictions.

It's kinda like how MMO's often have expansions that "add in races." It's not that those races suddenly were born into the world. It's just that you couldn't play as them before that. Whether it's because they stick to a particular region and the story of the original game took place elsewhere mainly, etc., is, again, up to the devs.

it seems more likely to me that these four variants represent all possible godlike combinations (i.e., only these four types of characteristics, depending on the type of divine influence, for example an earth themed godlike could be an descendent of mighty lord Jabba, a god of wealth, or the mysterious deity Grizzly Adams, a god of mountains, or even just a errant wild soul that inhabited and took on the attributes of earth or rock) as opposed to four specific and limited divinities.

Also, I inferred that godlikes are not actually strict descendents of "gods" but are merely touched with other worldly powers.

• Like 1