Why no new DnD video games? (no MMO)

Arkan

Don't know about that, corporations like free money and from their pov that's what kickstarter provides, and in that case it would be working with a developer with a proven record in D&D and who had shown fairly recent interest in it until diddled over by Atari. They aren't exactly flush with options for potential developers and I could see that overriding any other considerations, especially if there really isn't a big queue of publishers just waiting for a licence opportunity.

(Overall I don't think it was Hasbro on balance of probability, but someone else being clueless about things. But I do think they'd make most sense if we were looking for a sensible suggestion.)

Sigh. There's a reason all the IPs we see on kickstarter are the ones that were dead for all practical purposes. In spite of having had its halo tarnished a bit, DND is still far from dead. In fact, a DND game showing up on kickstarter would orobably be the most certain way of figuring out that the IP is no longer valued by its owner. :p

I agree, I would pledge unconditionally to another decent D&D game like BG3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Don't know about that, corporations like free money and from their pov that's what kickstarter provides, and in that case it would be working with a developer with a proven record in D&D and who had shown fairly recent interest in it until diddled over by Atari. They aren't exactly flush with options for potential developers and I could see that overriding any other considerations, especially if there really isn't a big queue of publishers just waiting for a licence opportunity.

(Overall I don't think it was Hasbro on balance of probability, but someone else being clueless about things. But I do think they'd make most sense if we were looking for a sensible suggestion.)

Sigh. There's a reason all the IPs we see on kickstarter are the ones that were dead for all practical purposes. In spite of having had its halo tarnished a bit, DND is still far from dead. In fact, a DND game showing up on kickstarter would orobably be the most certain way of figuring out that the IP is no longer valued by its owner. :p

I agree, I would pledge unconditionally to another decent D&D game like BG3

I think that the Baldur's Gate IP might of itself be near the value of D&D, and might even exceed it as a computer game license... Something Hasbro/Wizards has been almost completely blind to, even with the slight nod of Murder in Baldur's Gate...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

http://kotaku.com/q-a-baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-took-a-lot-of-w-1507720763

Guys here is quick read around all the work to produce BG2 : EE

For me the most interesting part of the article is the discussion around BG3 and how Trent Oster is not only keen to make the game but is making a semblance of progress in the required negotiations with Wizards of the Coast :)

Frankly, I'd prefer if they were making a semblance of progress with patching bg2, even giving them the allowance of only having two coders on the team and a bunch of rabid android owners screaming for their version.

" semblance of progress with patching bg2".. :lol:

Is BG2 really that buggy?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://kotaku.com/q-a-baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-took-a-lot-of-w-1507720763

Guys here is quick read around all the work to produce BG2 : EE

For me the most interesting part of the article is the discussion around BG3 and how Trent Oster is not only keen to make the game but is making a semblance of progress in the required negotiations with Wizards of the Coast :)

Frankly, I'd prefer if they were making a semblance of progress with patching bg2, even giving them the allowance of only having two coders on the team and a bunch of rabid android owners screaming for their version.

" semblance of progress with patching bg2".. :lol:

Is BG2 really that buggy?

It's always been buggy, which is why I waited a long time before I started with BG1, either (and it works like a charm now). :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It's always been buggy, which is why I waited a long time before I started with BG1, either (and it works like a charm now). :)

From what I've gathered (I have not played either EE), both versions could really have used a longer development/QA cycle. Even after the bug-related backlash from the first game, they still decided to go ahead and do the same for BG2. I'm going to hold off purchase for a while, until they give the game the polish one would expect from a finished product and, most importantly, until my must-have mods have been updated (Y U NO ASCENSION?!). Also, the way they have handled translations leaves a lot to be desired. That alone is reason enough for me not to buy, even though personally I do not play translated/dubbed versions.

I can't comment on the quality of the new content, but their M.O. with regards to gold status quality standards does not give me much hope for a Beamdog BG3.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The issue that exists with BG2:EE has been virtually eliminated in the originals, via various fan fix-packs etc.

I've got my usual mod loadout installed in BG2 right now (have two games on the go) and its extraordinarily un-buggy. My usual mod loadout is pretty epic, btw.

Although I now own BG2:EE out of idle curiousity, I detest the GUI and lack of mod support. It will get better, in fact once it supports one pixel productions GUI tweaks and all the older Weimer mods I'll probably get more involved.

I wish they'd just open Steam Workshop for the game, tbh.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I think the settings should be separate from the ruleset for licensing. Like if they license Dungeons and Dragons, the game can include D&D in the title, but someone else can license Forgotten Realms, or Dark Sun and use the setting name in the title. Or someone could do a FR game with an original rule set if they like.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'd like to reiterate, my argument turns on re-engineering D&D ('D&DE') for the 'puter. D&DE would be different from any earlier iteration and would be D&D configured for the computer. The IE games were the other way around.

Now, 4E has already done this. Sadly, it was to fit in with an existing trend / niche: MMOs.

Although D&DE could support and MMO it would be different. Were I Hasbro I'd be fairly hands-off, I'd simply give some guidelines. For example, to keep it demonstrably D&D I'd want (a) the six iconic stats (b) alignments (I hate alignment as a mechanic, FWIW, but this isn't about me) and © class / race combos that match the D&D feel.

Everything else would be up for grabs.

sonsofgygax.JPG

@Monte

Well my approach would be:

1) Keep stats

2) Keep alignments

3) Keep classes and races

4) CONSULT anything that would potentially affect the established lore - so this would be only addition to your points. If someone would like to pull off another demi-god being, spawn of dead god like BG series, they better be consulting this