Wondering why Obsidian Home Page still references "Project Eternity"

Strange that the name has been changed to Pillars of Eternity basically everywhere else, except for the FRONT page of Obsidian.net (the drop down that appears when your mouse hovers over the Community link).

Seems like the front page would be one of the most important places to update this. I wonder why Obsidian hasn't done so? Conspiracy theories anyone?

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I mentioned it on these boards like a week ago, for what it's worth. Missing your home page links seems like it would take some serious effort.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Don't know but the poll i just saw on the page made me laugh:

"Which game do you hope Pillars of Eternity is most like?

Baldur's Gate 1 or 2

Call of Duty
Icewind Dale 1 or 2
Planescape: Torment

Temple of Elemental Evil"

Edited by Abel

Don't know but the poll i just saw on the page made me laugh:

"Which game do you hope Pillars of Eternity is most like?

Baldur's Gate 1 or 2

Call of Duty
Icewind Dale 1 or 2
Planescape: Torment

Temple of Elemental Evil"

And look how many people voted for it. It has more votes than ID and ToEE. I mean, seriously....

Edited by Plutone00

Or people are forming an idea of wanting a Baldur's Gate-ish world and atmosphere but in first-person. A tactical real-time First-Person cRPG with pause & slow-motion and companion controls/management. Strict Class-Based System. Some sort of adaptable AI (copying how you play with a class/character and play as such when you play another class/character). Could work.

We voted because it's hilarious.

To be fair, its existence as an option is hilarious. That's the joke. The act of voting for it isn't really a joke at all. Where's the joke? "Lolz, they put Call of Duty on this poll, which was really funny. But now, I'm gonna vote for that instead of what I really want PoE to be like, so as to give the poll absolutely no useful function. LOLZ!"

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

To be fair, its existence as an option is hilarious. That's the joke. The act of voting for it isn't really a joke at all. Where's the joke? "Lolz, they put Call of Duty on this poll, which was really funny. But now, I'm gonna vote for that instead of what I really want PoE to be like, so as to give the poll absolutely no useful function. LOLZ!"

I pretty much think at this point that they know what game they are making. The poll is for hype.

The fact that Call of Duty was even included in the poll kindof undermines your premise of the poll being for serious information gathering in the first place.

• Like 3

The fact that Call of Duty was even included in the poll kindof undermines your premise of the poll being for serious information gathering in the first place.

You mistake me. If no one votes for Call of Duty (for example), then that means they've only voted for the other options, which are valid options. Therefore, even if the devs intention wasn't for the poll to be serious, it's still providing useful/valid information, whether they do anything with that information or not. On the other hand, votes for Call of Duty (as 99.9% of them are just people being silly) in no way serve any function, whatsoever (with regard to the actual poll), except apparently to allow people to amuse themselves for some reason. Even though no one's gonna know who voted for Call of Duty and who didn't.

My "premise" is simply the observation that the act of voting for Call of Duty doesn't really accomplish anything. Every individual vote for Call of Duty doesn't incur more laughter from viewers of the poll, because it's not actually going to affect anything. If it was actually a serious poll, it might actually be funny, in some regard, to cast votes in an anti-serious fashion. Especially if some decision was to be made from it. Like, if they promised that whatever got the most votes affected some choice, THEN it might actually be funny to vote for something silly. But, voting for Call of Duty, in this poll, in this case, isn't really doing anything at all. Any humor found in that act seems to be completely generated within the individual's own mind.

It's kind of like making a joke with a punchline that has nothing to do with anything, versus one that's actually a play on words or something (the punchline actually has a correlation to something in the joke). *shrug*

Anywho. It was just an observation. No one said you can't vote for Call of Duty for your own reasons and think it's funny. I merely voiced my lack of understanding as to why people are doing it and finding it funny, since there's nothing inherently humorously correlative about that act in isolation, as there is with things like actual jokes (such as the placement of "Call of Duty" on the poll as an option by the developers who clearly don't actually want their game to be like Call of Duty in any way, shape, or fashion.)

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

You gotta have a net to catch idiots and clueless fools to prevent their votes from polluting the real answer to the real question. This doesn't invalidate the question of the results, the exact opposite is true....it reaffirms the results by keeping parasites out.

They could have given more options like it but it wasn't necessary, COD is enough to catch the mindless hordes and the remaining BioWare fans and.....well....pretty much every kind fool they might have wanted to keep from polluting the results.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

You gotta have a net to catch idiots and clueless fools to prevent their votes from polluting the real answer to the real question. This doesn't invalidate the question of the results, the exact opposite is true....it reaffirms the results by keeping parasites out.

They could have given more options like it but it wasn't necessary, COD is enough to catch the mindless hordes and the remaining BioWare fans and.....well....pretty much every kind fool they might have wanted to keep from polluting the results.

Or it was a joke.

I highly doubt that the devs are really concerned with being that vindictive or petty towards their target audience.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with joke, and not "bug zapper" theory here. Why would people only interested in Call of Duty even have any reason to bother with the poll if Call of Duty wasn't an option?

"Look! A webpage dedicated to a game that's supposed to be like a bunch of other games in this poll I've never even heard of... Better vote, after making my way to this site to even SEE the poll for God-only-knows what reason...!"