Josh Sawyer interview: on combat, companions and character building

On the other hand, this versatility (and a probable class bonus to lore skills) may make the wizard ideal for being my first character, since that will be the only time where I don't know where I'll run into which companions, so flexibility could be useful. (After creating a borderline unplayable bard in NWN, I've decided I'll never ever experiment with singsong-y classes again.)

Bards are underpowered in every game they're in. Ever tried playing a bard in BG1? They're worthless. Edited by Stun

On the other hand, this versatility (and a probable class bonus to lore skills) may make the wizard ideal for being my first character, since that will be the only time where I don't know where I'll run into which companions, so flexibility could be useful. (After creating a borderline unplayable bard in NWN, I've decided I'll never ever experiment with singsong-y classes again.)

Bards are underpowered in every game they're in. Ever tried playing a bard in BG1? They're worthless.

I remember playing a pretty awesome bard on NWN2 and its expansions, there's also a few power builds that feature the bard on that game. Just how many games have you tried to play as a bard?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, bards on NWN2 were pretty beastly. I particularly had fun with a strength based Bard.

Edit: I also beat both BGs with a bard, and although lackluster... They can be useful if played right. They are much weaker in BG1 than 2 though.

Edited by Ganrich

Bards are underpowered in every game they're in. Ever tried playing a bard in BG1? They're worthless.

I remember playing a pretty awesome bard on NWN2 and its expansions, there's also a few power builds that feature the bard on that game. Just how many games have you tried to play as a bard?

I've always found them extremely useful in both IWD games (mostly because of their regenerative song), and the Blade specialization in the BG series could be a real combat monster (a pity that the only official NPC having it was saddled with an abysmal Con, further aggravating the problem of low health).

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Alternatively, his slots work more like a D&D cleric - he has "20 slots" that he can fill with whatever, but can ALWAYS burn any spell he wants and turn it into a healing spell.

For what it's worth, it seems, from what Josh has said, that you won't actually be "slotting" spells anymore. The restriction of "this is in your currently equipped grimoire, or it isn't" for the Wizard will be the closest thing to that. Everyone else can either cast 20 Heal You spells, or 1 each of 20 different spells (using the 20 spells-per-rest/encounter -- aka "spell ammo" -- example you made with the Cleric).

In other words, you don't actually "prepare" your spells like most of the classes in D&D anymore. You don't have to go "Aww man, I wanted to cast Entangle, but I used up all my Entangles, and all I have left is 6 Cure Light Woundses!"

So, basically, casters who aren't Wizards get to use any of their available spells they want, at any time, so long as "spell ammo" permits, while Wizards can only cast any spell in their currently-equipped grimoire at any given time. So, it's almost like prepared spell sets that you can swap between.

But, yeah, as for "spell ammo" ratios, I don't really know anything about that. I haven't heard anything that suggests they'll differ between classes, as in "Wizards get 6 spells per rest and 4 per encounter at Level 2, but Priests get 8 per rest and 6 per encounter at that level."

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I know what you mean and they're not my favorite character either, but they can use mage wands.

That's very (even brokenly) powerful in BG1. E.g., a bard with a fully loaded wand of monster summoning and a ranged weapon should be able to take down Sarevok without a lot of trouble.

A fighter-Mage can also use mage wands. The difference, of course, is that he'll be better with his bow, and he'll have more spells.

Perhaps underpowered is the wrong word to describe Bards. How about... Redundant.

Stun is making a good point here.  Really the only "bonuses" of a bard are their buffs and high lore score.

And pick pockets... But that's true, bards in BG are underpowered. However, in my current playthroungh, i wanted to try Haerdalis but i've kind of a problem with him. It's not about his Con, but about his personality. I'm not at ease with him. He's the only companion I've never really played with. And there is no other bard to try.

In my current playthroungh, i wanted to try Haerdalis but i've kind of a problem with him. It's not about his Con, but about his personality. I'm not at ease with him. He's the only companion I've never really played with. And there is no other bard to try.

I don't specifically recall any companion bard mods, but you should always check out the mods selection in in those late playthroughs, its quite extensive.

In my current playthroungh, i wanted to try Haerdalis but i've kind of a problem with him. It's not about his Con, but about his personality. I'm not at ease with him. He's the only companion I've never really played with. And there is no other bard to try.

I don't specifically recall any companion bard mods, but you should always check out the mods selection in in those late playthroughs, its quite extensive.

I think there is one from french community. A really really bad female bard with really low abilities scores, but really fun to play. My Balrdur's Gate trilogy install is already well bugged with my 25 mods installed, i try to limit the number of mods. But you're true. I guess i'll try to have a deeper look the one day i restart from scratch. Must be some cool NPCs to pick.

Bards have always been a support character. In physical combat they are outclassed fighters, Pallys, barbs, monks, and rangers in most cases. In spell casting they are outclassed by wizards, sorcs, Druids, and Clerics in most cases. As support, by buffing the party, healing here and there, firing wands and scrolls, and general versatility... They are outclassed by nothing. Bard song + buffs will outshine wizards and sorcs here IMO. If you want a character that focuses on a single part of combat then the bard isn't for you, but if you want to do a little of this and a little of that... It is a blast. Although the 2E vanilla bard was pretty lackluster they are a really good class in 3.5 and can, if specced appropriately, be insanely good.

A strength based build in NWN2 using buff spells, battle caster feat, and a level or 2 in fighter can be a wrecking ball on the battlefield. If you haven't tried it then you should. Very good build for a MotB run through if anyone is feeling the need for another go of it.

PS. I use to hate bards.

A fighter-Mage can also use mage wands. The difference, of course, is that he'll be better with his bow, and he'll have more spells.

Perhaps underpowered is the wrong word to describe Bards. How about... Redundant.

Yup,  I agree. One advantage of a bard is that level scaled spells like Magic Missle are cast at a higher level for a given amount of XP, but in BG1 having, say, 4 or 5 blips in long bow is a big deal.