DC Universe Online

Hurlshort

So I know a few people here play this, and I've been pretty surprised at what a solid MMO it is.  Anyone interested in putting together a league?  I've been spending most of my time as a hero, I can dabble with a villain but I tend to like to be the good guy.

I'm impressed by the cities.  Gotham was fun, but when I got to Metropolis I was really wowed.  Also the combat is fast and I'm getting the hang of the combos, it's a pretty good system with some nice complexity.  

I've still got a lot to learn, I haven't even touched any of the events or anything like that.  My main character is an acrobatic mentalist with two pistols.  His name, oddly enough, is Hurlshot.

Sounds like fun, but DC sucks.*

*Not intended to be a factual statement.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I'd love to try it, but I have a backlog upwards of 50 single player games.

Does it have at least a decent plot for comic books?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I played it when it came out, wasn't overly impressed with it, but I'm betting it's changed a LOT since then... if I get bored soon I'll try it out again

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Comming from City of Heroes/Villains and the Champions Online I was very disappointed with character creation. The costume choices are rather limited as super hero MMOs go.

That said, the game world is very beautiful and it is worth playing the game just for swinging across Metropolis.

The Free to Play model allows players to get to max level quite quickly and easily without spending a dime and it makes for a fun ride even if you just max a character and then forget about the game.

I was quite surprised that they made the whole setting work. I was a bit worried how the player character could fit in with all the iconic characters of the comics.

While it isn't perfect as MMOs go, I had fun with it and did spend some money on the store.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Comming from City of Heroes/Villains and the Champions Online I was very disappointed with character creation. The costume choices are rather limited as super hero MMOs go.

That said, the game world is very beautiful and it is worth playing the game just for swinging across Metropolis.

The Free to Play model allows players to get to max level quite quickly and easily without spending a dime and it makes for a fun ride even if you just max a character and then forget about the game.

I was quite surprised that they made the whole setting work. I was a bit worried how the player character could fit in with all the iconic characters of the comics.

While it isn't perfect as MMOs go, I had fun with it and did spend some money on the store.

I miss CoV/COH

I've always been more of a Marvel guy myself.  The only DC character I've ever been into was Batman and his stable of villains.  That changed a bit when I got into the Green Arrow TV show Archer, and now that I'm playing the game, I'm really surprised how much depth there is to the DC universe.  It's actually kind of nice getting some details on all these characters I only had a cursory knowledge of.

I've always been more of a Marvel guy myself.  The only DC character I've ever been into was Batman and his stable of villains.  That changed a bit when I got into the Green Arrow TV show Archer, and now that I'm playing the game, I'm really surprised how much depth there is to the DC universe.  It's actually kind of nice getting some details on all these characters I only had a cursory knowledge of.

Yeah, the problem with DC is that it's "Main heroes" are a bunch of icons so they can't change that much. But the "backups" like J'onn J'onzz, the Lanterns, and a myriad of backup heroes is what makes the universe more fun, mainly because they bounce off the heroes so often.

Although the batman fangasms is what's the worst IMO.

I've never liked Batman myself, always preferred Superman. My problem with DC is that other than Gotham or Metropolis, the settings really don't seem to have unique character. Some of the of the supporting heroes, as Calax mentioned, are what makes the universe work so I see it as a shame that those cities aren't as well fleshed out.

I prefer Marvel though, their universe always seemed richer and more complex than DC's.

On-Topic, a friend of mine played this, should I attempt to get into it when I have time?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Batman is the best super hero ever, so KP and Calax are crazy :p

Hurlie, all of us are grown men posting on a videogame forum. Crazy has sailed away long ago.

Calax and I are just correct, Batman is overrated.

• Like 1

Batman really is the biggest name in superheroes though.  Sure, Superman was a heavy hitter when Christopher Reeves was playing him, but now Batman has taken over the movies.  He's also the only one getting decent video games made about him.

Every day I see like 5 different people wearing Batman shirts.

I hated the Nolan Batman movies. Everyone said one thing and did another.

• Like 1

Batman really is the biggest name in superheroes though.  Sure, Superman was a heavy hitter when Christopher Reeves was playing him, but now Batman has taken over the movies.  He's also the only one getting decent video games made about him.

Every day I see like 5 different people wearing Batman shirts.

The problem is everyone tries to keep restarting Superman. But his origin story doesn't really leave that much room for new stuff so the movie flops because their "different take" on it just comes off badly. If they pick up with the current movies ending and play with what killing another human would do to superman, you'd end up with a phenomenal movie without as much punching.

Batman is easy to write for, he's a human and thus, vulnerable. Break his arm or leg and you've got a story. And he'll just magic his way out of any predicament by having anticipated and prepared for whatever the **** is thrown at him due to the nature of his stories. I mean All batman stories seem to kinda boil down to "oh no, crime occured, Batman is looking into it and checking underworld contacts, Batman kicks a guy, batman gets captured and/or damaged, Batman wins Because!!"

It's the same with superman admittedly. A lot of his stories have him either punching when he should have been thinking, or somehow depowered by the enemies. It's due to the nature of their characters. The team books, and/or the "side" characters are where the fun is, with GL being awesome, the Titans being a fun book because of how they bounce off each other, and Geoff Johns deciding that the 80's were perfect and we should all pine for those characters again

Can I kill the Justice League? That might induce me into trying it.

Kill? Not so much. Beat them into a pulp? Yes, deffinitly. Just play as a villain. You get to beat up most iconic characters. Even the Teen Titans or what they are called ;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Villain turned Superior hero.

Edited by KaineParker