Hoops 13-14

Leferd

Wonder if the girlfriend will have a car accident soon.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So, the nazis win again.

Sterling is a piece of crap but this reeks of nazism. But, I'm not surprised. People don't believe in freedom. They give it lip service until someone says or does something they personally dissaprove of.

I won't cry for Sterling but I would cry for   people being ignorant about what freedom truly is.

Evil to the core. Both Sterling, the NBA, and its lapdog supporters. Hypocritical nazis all of them.

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sterling exercised his right for free speech. Now the NBA exercised their right for self determination and free enterprise in response.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

"Sterling exercised his right for free speech. Now the NBA exercised their right for self determination and free enterprise in response."

That's what the Nazis and KKK claim. :) But, oh yeah, you agree with the NBA's stance so  yous ide with them ebcause you don't believe in freedom.

Sterling is a scumbag and the NBA would be better off without him, but that doesn't change the fact that he's been wronged here.  This is the modern day equivalent of a witch-hunt.  This is far from over.  I can almost guarantee lawsuits are incoming.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Was it entrapment? Sure, probably was. Is V. Stiviano a goldigger? Hells yes. Were privacy laws violated? That's for the courts to decide.

Nevertheless, the NBA finally had the smoking gun they need to boot his ass. The NBA isn't the government and they don't have to abide by the laws of unlawful seizure. Fact is the tapes were released and the basterd was caught.

I can live with that.

Look I don't want this thread to turn into another Edward Snowden scenario, but bottom line is he said what he said. Players, owners, and fans want him out. Now he's gone.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

PS

NBA constitution has a rule which states that a 75% vote can force out another owner. That would be 22/29. Reports are that the vote is 29/29.

Nah it's just that he started to hurt the business that's why they suddenly became outraged over this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nah it's just that he started to hurt the business that's why they suddenly became outraged over this.

Which is totally relevant, because the NBA is a business.  When you are in a business with 29 other owners, and they all want you out, it is going to happen.  

If he was in a government position it would probably be much harder to boot him.

Edit:  This totally made me flash to Will Farrel in Semi-Pro

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

Here's the NBA constitution and Bylaws:

http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/mediacentral/NBA-Constitution-and-By-Laws.pdf

Article 13 sec A, Article 24 sec L and Article 35A Sec c and d seem to be the biggies

It's probably Article 24 that they are hanging him on since it stipulates the max fine as 2.5 million$ whereas 35A sets it at a million.

In essence, Sterling is accused of violating the "Best Interests of the League" clause.

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 2

Which is totally relevant, because the NBA is a business.  When you are in a business with 29 other owners, and they all want you out, it is going to happen.  

If he was in a government position it would probably be much harder to boot him.

Edit:  This totally made me flash to Will Farrel in Semi-Pro

Didn't say it wasn't, just puts all the "outrage" and "disgust" into perspective.

The 'constitution' may not survive a court fight. People forget fundemanetal rule of contract - they have to fit the law not the other way around.

Either way, he's evil, they're evil,  and everyone is evil. Nobody believes in freedom.

It's funny that Sterling didn't violate the "best interest of the league" when he was discriminating against minority tenants and denying them their rights or when he was being sued for sexual discrimination.  But that illegally recorded private phone conversation sure did violate the "best interest of the league".  All those owners who turned a blind eye to those transgressions earlier (most of whom are still owners now) can now puff out their chest and get all vocal about what an outrage this is and how they would never stand for this.  Good job owners, you're all a bunch of hypocrites heroes.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Ok just so I'm clear, because my reading comprehension sucks, and in no way is this meant as a strawman:

Volo doesn't like the ban because it's a trespass on Sterling's freedom of speech and the NBA are fascists for taking action.

Keyrock is outraged because Sterling's rights to privacy was violated, he shouldn't be punished for his views regardless of how reprehensible they are. Additionally, owners are phonies because they didn't act before; knowing full well who he is as a person and are only acting because of the extent that it went viral, that they are acting out of fear of a lynch mob.

• Like 1

Keyrock is outraged because Sterling's rights to privacy was violated, he shouldn't be punished for his views regardless of how reprehensible they are. Additionally, owners are phonies because they didn't act before; knowing full well who he is as a person and are only acting because of the extent that it went viral, that they are acting out of fear of a lynch mob.

I wouldn't go so far as outraged, but, yes, I'm pointing out that the same owners who turned a blind eye to Sterling's previous transgressions, which were far worse than the phone conversation, mind you, are now taking the "moral high ground" because this became a highly publicized story, and also pointing out that whoever recorded the phone conversation should go to jail.

Part of me is happy that Sterling is (likely) getting ousted, because the guy is a scumbag, I'm not happy about the manner in which it happened.  I guess one's view on the situation depends on how much one believes that the ends justify the means.

Anyway, my stance is known and clear on the situation, I'm done discussing it.  Back to actual basketball.  I'm thinking Washington closes out the series tonight.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Fair enough. I certainly have low opinions of muckraking gossip sites like TMZ and I'll withhold judgment regarding just how they obtained the recording and to what extent (if any) was it a sting job. But the NBA and Adam Silver did the right thing once it was out In the open, no matter what the motive or past history.

The Clipper are still a scumbag franchise and Blake Griffin is a shameless flopper with fake tough guy tendencies. Beat LA!

Holy ****. That Memphis-OKC game. Another buzzer beater, except waves off.

That was f-----g OUTSTANDING! Go Grizz!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

People are moronic flip floppers of epicness.  The paper is stupid.I've been 'ragging' on Durant all season (only in comparison to  James) but that article is moronic, ignorant, evil, selfish, scummy, satanic, nazi, and just play pathetic.

Both Indiana and OKC staved off elimination tonight, will the Dubs follow suit?  Unfortunately for me, I won't find out until the morning since the game is on way too late for me to stay up.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Dubs force Game 7 with 100-99 victory over LAC.

These Playoffs are spectacular!

All 3 teams with a chance to close out the series failed to do so last night.  3 more teams have the same chance tonight.  Will any of them close the series out?  My prediction:

Brooklyn forces game 7

Dallas forces game 7

Portland closes the series out

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸