Would you hire a guy who..

Prosper

-Was infamous for being considered a troll on the internet gaming sites.

-Banned repeatedly because people disagreed with his art and mods.

-But was talented after all. (made his own game that earned millions of USD)

Second question:

Would you fire him if you received enough hate mail?

Edited by Prosper
  • Like 2

redacted

I wouldn't fire him for hate mail.

I'd make him walk a long wooden bar, suspended ten feet off the ground every day in the company car park. Haters would be permitted to come in, for a small fee, and lob eggplants at him during his attempt.

If he fell or otherwise failed to walk the bar he would be obliged to resign.

I can therefore recommend you begin training your toes to grip things.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Second question:

Your reputation on certain gaming forums would be irrelevant, all I would care about is your work ethic and can you code successfully

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Second question:

Your reputation on certain gaming forums would be irrelevant, all I would care about is your work ethic and can you code successfully

Two things are key when working in a project based organisation. Individual skills and team skills. You can be the greatest something in the world, but it doesn't matter if you can't work together as a team (and vice versa). Public reputation is irrelevant (within reason) if you don't have a client facing function.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Two things are key when working in a project based organisation. Individual skills and team skills. You can be the greatest something in the world, but it doesn't matter if you can't work together as a team (and vice versa). Public reputation is irrelevant (within reason) if you don't have a client facing function.

So acting like a sociopath is a bad thing is what you are saying ? Hmm.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So acting like a sociopath is a bad thing is what you are saying ? Hmm.

To be fair, from what you've been saying both you and your workplace exhibit sociopathic tendencies.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This gave me hope. Wouldn't an internship teach team skills?

It would. Depends a lot on the place, one old uni mate got shunned by his entire team when he interned at a place - they'd go for lunch without him, barely speak to him, etc. Not much to learn from an experience like that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's very very dependent on the company and on the individual that is interning. 

I've heard horror stories of companies just throwing their interns at mundane tasks that no one else wanted to do for a few months and then letting them go. While the intern may have learned new technical skills, they did not learn much about working as a team.

What I'd imagine is more common is that companies will ease you into things to start. If you do well and are proactive about being a part of the team, they will continue to give you more complex things to work on. You can't expect a company to hand you everything just because they hired you as an intern. It's up to you to prove that you're competent and that you want to be a part of a team.

I started at Obsidian as an intern. My experience here was very positive. 

• Like 4

https://twitter.com/IridiumGameDev

Ex-Obsidian Senior Programmer

It would. Depends a lot on the place, one old uni mate got shunned by his entire team when he interned at a place - they'd go for lunch without him, barely speak to him, etc. Not much to learn from an experience like that.

I would suggest that shows a lack of task focus. A strong team goal allows integration to depend on your contribution towards that goal, not what shoes you are wearing, or how old you are, etc.

A weak task focus shows poor leadership.

So, while I'm pointing the finger at your mate's team leader, I'd also suggest that it's hardly grounds to despair of internships. Typically interns get assigned to the most wily leaders in a group, because they give cheap effort.

-Elwood Blues

Internships can be a mixed bag and it depends both on the intern but also very much on the company.

I know of one ... person (I'll be civil) who went to the UN for an internship and within a week had managed to get everyone to avoid him and not speak to him because of his racist rethorics and attempts to appear "cool" through lecherous, sexist banter. Obviously, his internship went badly.

My own internship went amazingly well. On one hand I put my back into it and did what I could to be a full member of the team, but I only could do that because the team let me do it. They needed the extra help at the time and were fully prepared to welcome the intern and give them responsibilities.

But many companies don't really know what to do with interns. They at some point picked up that having interns is the thing to do. Maybe management even believes that giving young people a chance to learn in a working environment is a good thing. But they haven't really thought about the reality of it.

I think it's important to know what you want to get out of the internship and be prepared to not only work towards that goal, but to communicate it with the hosting company.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Second question:

A good read for you. Negative interactions at work are 5x stronger than positive ones as people expect civilized, respecful treatment in the office. If you're an A-hole, I'd fire you in a heartbeat. How do you know if you're an A-hole? Here's what Robert I. Sutton refers to as "The Dirty Dozen" behaviors that A-holes use to poison the workplace:

1. Personal insults

2. Invading one's personal territory

3. Uninvited personal contact

4. Threats and intimidation, both verbal and non-verbal

5. Sarcastic jokes and teasing used as insult delivery systems

6. Withering email flames

7. Status slaps intended to humiliate their victims

8. Public shaming or status degradation rituals

9. Rude interruptions

10. Two-faced attacks

11. Dirty looks

12. Treating people as if they are invisible

Use this list as a mirror and if you see yourself reflected in it, methinks you need to shape up.

Edited by Tsuga C

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Most of that list is just par for the course on my team. I guess we need to be more corporate.

• Like 1

That's very very dependent on the company and on the individual that is interning. 

I've heard horror stories of companies just throwing their interns at mundane tasks that no one else wanted to do for a few months and then letting them go. While the intern may have learned new technical skills, they did not learn much about working as a team.

What I'd imagine is more common is that companies will ease you into things to start. If you do well and are proactive about being a part of the team, they will continue to give you more complex things to work on. You can't expect a company to hand you everything just because they hired you as an intern. It's up to you to prove that you're competent and that you want to be a part of a team.

I bet you 100 rupees that Feargod was holding a gun to your kneecap when you wrote that.

• Like 1

I bet you 100 rupees that Feargod was holding a gun to your kneecap when you wrote that.

I'm still here after 4 years, so there must be something positive about working here  ;)

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/IridiumGameDev

Ex-Obsidian Senior Programmer

Most of that list is just par for the course on my team. I guess we need to be more corporate.

More corporate?  No, just more considerate.

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

Everyone gives as they get and have a laugh about it in our case. But we've long since cracked.

Wait, isn't this a tacit admission on Prosper's part that he's just been trolling all along? How am I supposed to deal with these emotions?

Gin.

-Elwood Blues

Everyone gives as they get and have a laugh about it in our case. But we've long since cracked.

That's a rare and delicate balancing act to sustain for any length of time. Enjoy it and protect it as best you can as I can assure you that it's nearly impossible to recapture once disrupted.

Would you hire a guy who..

No.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands