Russia passes more homophobia laws

BruceVC

Does anyone have any popcorn?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Come on, Boo, fall in line.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Watching X Factor is falling in line. Buying an i-phone is falling in line. Not breaking the law is falling in line.

Not spreading racism and hate isn't falling in line. It's being a human ****ing being.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Never really noticed him doing that but that was a pretty good line, Putin passing this law as demagoguery as he posted is believable. Not sure about most societies being against open homosexuality, West seems to have lots that are or at the least claim to while untested.

I guess I just don't pick up on Boo being intensely racist or anything like that, but I'll stalk him through his post history to check on this. Heh, according to my family, him being one of those Slavic folk make him a racist thug alone, thinking of that :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The whole idea that there is some sort of homosexual propaganda machine is as silly as it sounds.  Does anyone believe that a child is going to see 'gay propaganda' and suddenly become gay?  This isn't a political idea, it's a matter of personal identity.  The entire point of the gay pride movement is that gay people should not have to hide that identity.

This is a civil rights issue.  It isn't a hip movement that the West is having a fancy with.  It is the exact same thing as women's rights, desegregation, even religious freedom has the same story.  Countries are slowly creating a more tolerant society, and Russia is way behind in this.  In 100 years we aren't going to look back and say it was great that Russia discriminated against gay people.  It will look as terrible as every other act of discrimination and intolerance that has happened in history.  

• Like 3

Somebody summon Oby in this thread.

It'd be entertaining to read then! Would probably rail on the blessed West lecturing people on how they should behave, etc.

Russian Olympic medalist shows her true colours.

Not only is she a homophobe, but she's also against others expressing their opinon;

"She said if athletes “are going to propagandise homosexuality on the street then that will show a lack of respect for us," and they should face criminal charges."

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Weird quoting with the facing part left out, hm. Oh well, Russians being backwards and unenlightened, etc.,etc.

Weird quoting with the facing part left out, hm. Oh well, Russians being backwards and unenlightened, etc.,etc.

Well, when police refuse to help and assist teenagers getting assaulted by neo-Nazi's when they try to go to dates, what else can you say?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/russian_where_tortured_they_social_jYNN6UejKkxWOVdl4fO9jJ

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Okay, but still it's just an odd way of writing to cut the quote off there. I guess they didn't get the exact words so summarized, though. As for the Neo-Nazis well..not exactly a upstanding group to begin with, I'd be surprised if the police are okay with that (article doesn't say) given the history.

Yeah I hardly think that homosexual propaganda is having a measurable impact compared with the boots of the neo-nazis. However, I would gently remind the members that oby is far from circumspect on this point. I know it's only an alt, but do try and pay attention.

-Elwood Blues

Okay, but still it's just an odd way of writing to cut the quote off there. I guess they didn't get the exact words so summarized, though. As for the Neo-Nazis well..not exactly a upstanding group to begin with, I'd be surprised if the police are okay with that (article doesn't say) given the history.

Correct, my bad, I did'nt read through that article properly, because I did'nt think they would leave out that part. I originally read it on a Swedish site where it was more prominent.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/7/4595246/russia-anti-gay-neo-nazis-bully-teens-on-social-media-occupy-pedofilyay

They point out that police does'nt act on charges brought to them.

For reference: how many pro-homosexual beatings have there been in Russia to date?

-Elwood Blues

Well, when police refuse to help and assist teenagers getting assaulted by neo-Nazi's when they try to go to dates, what else can you say?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/russian_where_tortured_they_social_jYNN6UejKkxWOVdl4fO9jJ

Russian law's just dont described such things as a crime.  Assault punished by laws only if causing body injury. In example above victims are cowards and participiate in this games by free will instead of figth for yourself as gays from this video do. 

http://youtu.be/rBjedtyoXaQ

Google did'nt find any russian pro-homosexual beatings on their first page when I tried a search. I suspect the gay-lobby is hiding it somewhere on page 241.

• Like 1

The Daily Mash pretty much just posted this picture in response to the news.

vput1.jpeg

-Elwood Blues

Correct, my bad, I did'nt read through that article properly, because I did'nt think they would leave out that part. I originally read it on a Swedish site where it was more prominent.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/7/4595246/russia-anti-gay-neo-nazis-bully-teens-on-social-media-occupy-pedofilyay

They point out that police does'nt act on charges brought to them.

Ah, okay.

I fully expect Russia will deliver more jolly moments of gay persecution during the Olympics.

Pretty much, will be hard to hide it or keep it hush barring some extreme policing (press will look hard, after all).

Ah, what a world.