"Slacker Backer" needs a new name

I don't really take offense to the title, but slacker does, after all, imply lack of effort or laziness in my mind.
I do prefer (maybe an alternate title?) something more like "late to the party" as suggested previously (or "those who live under a rock").
I only learned of Project Eternity a little more than a month ago.
So my only choice for backing the game is via the "slacker backer" option.
Had I known about it while the kickstarter campaign was active, I would have pledged in a heartbeat!

How about "Order of the Pre-Order."

Or even "Customer."  You know, what you call people who have paid for a product.  :grin: 

The product doesn't exist when you're seeking funding for it. So you're not a customer you're a backer.

So people who pre-order games that aren't done yet are "backers"?  

As the other guy said, if a game is cancelled when pre-ordered the customer gets his money back. People need to understand that not a single one of us has "pre-ordered" a game. We have funded a game and hope to get something in return, provided everything goes as planned. We are not customers in any way, and there is not even any certainty the game will even be made. That is the preimse of Kickstarter, you take a risk and hope to get something in return.

Like a stock. Just without getting part of the profit the company makes.

Oh.

Doh.

Lol, I thought slacker backer was hilarious when it first came.

Mostly because *gasp* I didn't back Project: Eternity until about 2~2 1/2 months or so ago (Late April). I was a slacker about it (I.E. "I am going to back this project in some way or another, but not right now").

^In that context, I do believe I wasn't the only one who lurked these forums and enjoyed these forums discussing the game without having backed it. How many of us slackers were around these forums that didn't back the project originally? :p in that reference, I think "Slacker Backer" is hilarious, and it reflected on myself and what I was doing at the time. I was slacking with the backing~ although for legit economical reasons that I don't feel I need to get into atm or ever.

I don't personally mind "Slacker Backer" being "Slacker Backer", but some of the posts in this thread got a point that it isn't very "inviting".

Say, imagine if us here in this community market the game by "word-by-mouth" to friends or whatnot (mentioning it in another forum~promoting etc. etc.) who might not even have known this game was Kickstarted or that it is in development, they haven't shared the journey thus far. "Slacker Backer" doesn't reflect well to those who are new to the information on this forum or about the game altogether. 

It is like Obsidian (in a sense) would say to people they've never met before "You are a slacker for not knowing about us!". So yeah, might be good to change it.

Not a very good first impression if you want to hold hands no?

Edited by Osvir

I get the feeling there is some kind of language barrier here.  This term is not derogatory, it's not insulting, it's a bit of joke.

On the other hand, if you are a native English speaker and are offended by the title, maybe they can just change it to "prat?"

• Like 3

Wow, lots of uptight people here.

Getting offended over (rightfully) being called a "slacker", can't roll my eyes hard enough.

If the humiliation is too much for anybody, my advice is to wait with pledging until they become preorders officially.

• Like 1

- Those Who Held Back

- Backers-who-backed-after-the-Kickstarter-and-are-offended-by-the-term-slacker

- Backerswho didn't know about the Kickstarter but demand customer satisfaction, dammit

- Tad Bit Late Backers

- A Few Months Late Backers

- 50 (Updates) Deep Backers

- Just plain "Slackers" Drop the backer.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Belated + Backers gives us...

BELACKERS!

A backer is never late, anyway. Nor is he early. He always backs a game pre-CISELY when he means to. u_u

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Action Hero backers:

I'll be backers.

Travelling backers:

Backbackers

Bulk-buying backers:

Stackbackers

Scottish backers:

MacBackers

Careful backers:

Step Backers

Insane backers:

CrackerBackers

Wannabe backers who can't afford to:

Lackers.

Pirate backers:

Hacker backers.

Hungry backers:

Snacker backers.

Oppressed backers:

Get of my Backers

Gas company employee backers:

Fracker backers.

Anyway, I could do that all day, but still not come up with a suitable alternative for Slacker Backers.

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 6

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

How about -

"Backers who backed after the Kickstarter Ended but before pre-orders began"? We can call them BWBATKEBBPOB for short.

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Edmund Backadder?

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Backers Without End

Brokeback Backer

A Backer and a Gentleman

For a Few Backers More

Once Upon a Backer in the West

Backer Wars

Backer Trek

From Backer with Love

The Backer Horror Video Game Show

Planet of the Backers

Forbidden Backer

B.A.C.K.E.R.

Top Backer

Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Backer

Dr. Backerlove, or how I stopped worrying and learned to support the Kickstarter

Jack and the Backerstalk

Clash of the Backers

Backer 9 from Outer Space

Backer: The Hands of Fate

Curse from the Backers Tomb

The Hands of the Backer

Crouching Crowdfunder, Hidden Backer

Backer Royale

Inglorious Backers

The Good, the Bad and the Backers

From Backer to Eternity

Quo Backer

Backer 451

The Old Curiosity Backer

The Backer from Another World

Backer - King of Monsters

Backer vs. Backer

Taxi Backer

Raging Backer

Close Encounters of the Backer Kind

Ordinary Backers

The Breakfast Backers

Pretty in Backer

Planes, Trains and Backers

a backers life

How to Train Your Backer

Sleeping Backer

Backer Hood

Dances with Backer

Backer Confidential

Backer Indemnity

The Backer Rides Out

The Seven-Percent Backer

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Has anybody done Back to the Funder?

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I had to get a slacker-backer donation when my original Kickstarter donation failed to properly register my debit card at the end hours.

I always found it funny, and fitting to my slow, procrastinating self in most situations. :p

But the BG reference is brilliant. :D

Requiem of a Backer

The Last of Us Backers

Edited by Tick

• 2 weeks later...

I was a little put off about the slacker backer title as well. I didn't hear about the project till yesterday and wanted to back the game.

Is there a way to buy the beta access this late along?

Post-Kickstarter Backer Syndrome or PKBS. It's real, it's serious. Like Dr. House serious. Your car crashing through a supermarket's seafood counter while you jam to the tune of Irenicus & You Must Gather Your Party Before Venturing Forth and wear a funny hat kind of serious. Word!1

• Like 1

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png