Purple/Pink in P:E  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about pink/purple colors in P:E setting?

• I hate these colors - dont use them on anything
    • I dont mind if 'Arcane' spells/creatures will be presented by purple/pink color/lightning
    • I like purple clothes as presentation of high social status only
    • I want purple/pink everywhere
    • I think that OP is an idiot

Well my point is that many spell effects start be affected by elemental mantra - its fire based spell? ofc orange/red effects, water/ice? - blue/white effect, air/lightning - white/blue/pink (arcanum have yellow!), earth - green/brown not elemental? - pink/purple

I dont mind magic missile is pink, but I dont like still same boring concept of purple/pink 'Magic energy'. Magic fire can be green, or blue. And not all fire spells have to be orange. Not all mind affecting spells should create any glowing pink aura around head of victim. It breaks immersion for me. And from what I seen so far there are concept arts which show magic/casting as producing purple light - just not fan of it.

On the other hand, I must say I am very pleased with that outdoor screenshots around river. that map looks very cool.

Also nice to see that a lot of people think that I am idiot :)

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

While we're on the topic of color(and due apologies if this derails the topic too much) I just want to give my feedback that I felt that the icons(particularly loot and items) in IWD2 were very drab looking and hard to look at. I would like to see more vibrant UI elements, ALA BG2. Moar color please!

If shades of purple isn't in for clothing, how am I going to create a fantasy Saints Row crew? ;(

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Definitely one of the funniest poll results :))

I vote for purple-ish pink because that color is simply uncanny and relatively rare to find in nature.

I'm against desaturating magic, because if PE world is full of magic, then you will find many areas in black and white, including your local shops or street lamps maybe? Purple can still be mixed with any colors and retain its vibrance, but desaturating simply make all colors bleaker and bleaker. To comply with this lore, the magical world will have to be bleaker in color.

I'm against desaturating magic, because if PE world is full of magic, then you will find many areas in black and white, including your local shops or street lamps maybe? Purple can still be mixed with any colors and retain its vibrance, but desaturating simply make all colors bleaker and bleaker. To comply with this lore, the magical world will have to be bleaker in color.

True, but it could just be used for some types of magic, or in combination with other effects. For example, leeching spells could travel from the caster to the target as a desaturating effect, then return as an oversaturated effect to represent the "essence" being sucked out.

• Like 1

Won't that be too jarring if there are lots of active casters in the party? I mean, there will be pockets of areas when the colors are inconsistent. This idea sounds good on the paper, but I'm still not sure :))

I dunno... based on the wording of the initial suggestions, I got the idea it was more of just a fleeting, visual effect tied directly to active spell visuals. Not like "omg, you cast lots of magic and now the kingdom is devoid of color!"

Just an "instead of this spellbolt generating a purple glow to signify how mysteriously arcane in nature it is, how about having it simply generating a "glow" of desaturation right around it as it is formed, leaves your caster's hand, travels to its target, and strikes?" kind of thing. *shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Here's the one I remember from Baldur's Gate 2 from the Prologue. I think it is actually a spell effect but I cannot remember which one.

1b0y.png

Pretty bad screencap but the animation itself looks alright (for 30FPS)

you guys know that poll is public right?

just saying :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Wasn't there an episode of Scrubs where they made a joke about the emotions evoked from a persons shirt colour?  Pink has a calming effect I think, while purple/red draws aggression.  Maybe I could go back and play DA:O as a pink mage and not draw aggro while firing off spells?. 

From a visual POV though I relate pink to IE magic missile and my warlock's puny eldritch blast - both of these bring back strong nostalgic memories of past games - mostly that feeling of slapping roses in the face of a charging bull, so it would be a shame if these colours were excluded.

Pink is awesome. And the reason for that awesomeness is simple. Pink is the color your brain percieves as a graphical glitch. It goes "I've got Red, Orange, Yellow, Blue, Indigo, Violet, I'll output white... Wait, where's Green? I can't do anything without Green. AHHHHHHHHH!!!." and then you see pink.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

In Warhammer, pink, purple and pastel shades are the colour of the god Slaanesh, and there is precious little cartoony about him. Er... her. It.

The point is that it depends upon use and context, but as a general rule there is definitely a place for such things.

My favourite colour, of course I want some exclusivity :p

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Pink magic = Breast Cancer Awareness magic. Duh, u_u.

Even gamers've gotta represent good causes. 8)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u