Games we obsess over

Oh, and the list...

• Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 / Throne of Bhaal
  • Medieval Total War 1 & 2
  • Rome Total War
  • IceWind Dale 1 & 2
  • Fallout: New Vegas (still haven't finished, and TBH I don't want to because then IT'S OVER! This game is an extraordinary achievement as I'm not really a FO fan)
  • Company of Heroes (duh)
  • Diablo 2
  • XCom
  • Jagged Alliance 2
  • Doom
  • Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well, I don't really replay games very often so it would be a very short list for me.

BUT..

Deus Ex. I've replayed this game many times and I've gotten so experienced in it that I sometimes just play it to get that feeling of being in total control of the world, if you know what I mean. I know where everything is, I know what to do to reach that next level, I can kill anything and everything in spectacular ways and so on. It's a good feeling.

Gothic. I've replayed all of the Gothic games a few times, but Gothic is the only one I would replay just because I enjoy existing in that world, the colony. I enjoy just wandering around, fighting random things and seeing the sun settle over the hills and forests of the gameworld.

An honourable mention should go to Fallout: New Vegas. It's been a long time since I've played and replayed a game as thoroughly as I did with New Vegas. But I'm done with it now and I don't see myself going back to it again. 300+ hours is enough.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

interesting fact. New Vegas is the only modern game I've dumped more than 200 hours into. last time I was so obsessed with a game was back in Morrowind. New Vegas is easily the best CRPG of the last 10 years

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

interesting fact. New Vegas is the only modern game I've dumped more than 200 hours into. last time I was so obsessed with a game was back in Morrowind. New Vegas is easily the best CRPG of the last 10 years

Yeah I've logged over 80 hours which is over double the time I've put in any non-MMO.  It really is a masterpiece.  

Overwhelmingly RPG and strategy, with a single FPS (really surprised to see it was my favorite), 2 stealth/FPS (Thief 2, Deus Ex) and one simulation (Freelancer).

The most played RTS are Homeworld and Dawn of War. 

The most played TB strategy is the Civ series, along with Alpha Centauri. The votes for the Total War series were spread out, but they're probably the second most played.

I think longevity and obsessing over may not always be the same, but rather than creating a long list of games in each category, I'll just give the short version: Games I keep playing over and over are the ones where *I* create the story (emergent?). Doesn't prevent other games where somebody tells you good story from being great, but it will rarely beat your own stories for longevity.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate II
  • Icewind Dale
  • Diablo 2
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Skyrim

I'm afraid the older Fallouts and the Kotor games fell off my obsession list.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

[ ... ] everything else is a one-playthrough deal for me.

hell, with most games I don't even bother to get to the end. still have to beat BG, MOTB and IWD 2, and I don't think I ever will...

I'm getting that way more and more often. Sometimes I may want to replay/finish a game, or at least think I do - I may even load it and stare at a start screen do the tutorial bit for a couple minutes - but it just never ... quite happens.

I'm still waiting for the perfect cat/pet/animal/non-human Sim, something more interesting, with more purpose/concept than, say, "ZooTycoon." That's not what I want. Oh those lost hopes for Spore...

Yeah,  that's me and the Witcher. I go into the gameworld to appreciate the visuals and the atmosphere, I goof around for an hour and then I stop playing. I sorta intend to play the game again, but it just never happens. After the third time I did this I realized that I'm just not going to play it again.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I'm still waiting for the perfect cat/pet/animal/non-human Sim, something more interesting, with more purpose/concept than, say, "ZooTycoon." That's not what I want. Oh those lost hopes for Spore...

Did you ever try the "Creatures" series? Its a bit dated now but it was quite good.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I think longevity and obsessing over may not always be the same, but rather than creating a long list of games in each category, I'll just give the short version: Games I keep playing over and over are the ones where *I* create the story (emergent?). Doesn't prevent other games where somebody tells you good story from being great, but it will rarely beat your own stories for longevity.

Agreed.  I consider RPGs my favourite genre, but I sink more time into strategy games due to their more open ended nature.

• Like 1

Agreed.  I consider RPGs my favourite genre, but I sink more time into strategy games due to their more open ended nature.

Exactly. If two campaigns play out the same way in a game, your doing it wrong :grin:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've put over 400 hours into EU 3, about 150 into Vicky 2, and about 75 into CK2, the only RPGs I've played that comes close to that is BG2 at about 100 and NWN 2 at about 70.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It has been interesting seeing the games that people have replayed. I have never played any game more than once in my life. The main reasons being I don't play RTS which I imagine would have variety in the endings and I find in other genres once I know the ending then the excitement is over :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hmm, if we're talking hundreds of hours (try thousands) and obsessive replaying, here's the top of my list:

-NWN2 (SP, no coop or persistent worlds)

-NWN1 (mostly persistent worlds)

-Civ I-V

-BG1-2

I've played many other games 100+ hours, but none of them (like the Fallouts and IWD1-2) compares to those above, not even back in the days of the Ultimas, Pool of Radiance, Dragonlance series, etc. 

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Music and sound. Easily the Cinderella of gaming, but one of the most important. Where would IceWind Dale be without the Kuldahar theme? Or Baldur's Gate without that absurdly bombastic but cool drum-laden homage to Conan? Or the VO from Company of Heroes, with your squads emoting pathos and humour in equal measure?

I actually yelled "Coming up on your right" at some old ladies when I was out doing phys the other day. Took me ages to remember where I'd got it. :blush:

I never planned to spend so much time on it, but the game I just keep coming back to is Fallout New Vegas. It just ...flows... superbly as an escapist experience. Different guns, different paths, different decisions. Between my various lodgers (I insist on educating people who live with me) and myself we're clocking upwards of 1000 hrs on it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.