What you did today

Rosbjerg

Was playing basketball with some friends. It was fun until I brke my middle finger and glasses. I can barely see anything with the reserve glasses.

Going to swapp the glass, God help me, I'll probably break the reserves too.

Meh, 10:30 and Im already starving for lunch. I think Ill treat myself to an Italian beef sammich with hot giardiniera today.

You should try bollito misto.

Basically mixed boiled meats, served with a variety of chutneys and sauces alongside its own broth. Many places serve with pickles not unlike giardiniera.

01199909201_TES001_1.jpg

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Meh, 10:30 and Im already starving for lunch. I think Ill treat myself to an Italian beef sammich with hot giardiniera today.

You should try bollito misto.

Basically mixed boiled meats, served with a variety of chutneys and sauces alongside its own broth. Many places serve with pickles not unlike giardiniera.

01199909201_TES001_1.jpg

Yum, that looks delicious :yes:

I love Antonio Carluccio, his love of simple, authentic but tasty Italian  food is always impressive. He often makes me laugh when he describes food and his passion for it.

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Was playing basketball with some friends. It was fun until I brke my middle finger and glasses. I can barely see anything with the reserve glasses.

Sorry to hear that, I always forget to keep my backup pair of glasses up to date. Maybe next time I'll just get two pairs when I get my prescription (should do that soon, actually)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sorry to hear that, I always forget to keep my backup pair of glasses up to date. Maybe next time I'll just get two pairs when I get my prescription (should do that soon, actually)

Thanks.

I managed to swap parts but I had to give up on that Idea because the glass is scratched. I'll have to live with these glasses for now. I'm happy I even had any spare glasses or I would have had to stay home from work.

Obscure outburst of the day: "Don't piss in my ear and call it soup!" (directed at BBC documentary on D-Day that turned out to be about the Dieppe landings)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Interviewed for that promotion today.  I think it went as well as can be expected-- took the full hour, no obvious flubs or faux pas, and I think I came up with at-least-reasonable responses to all of their questions.  I think I can say with some confidence that, if I don't get this job, it won't be because I bombed the interview.  I should hear something the week after next, which is convenient because I'm going to be out all next week. 

By the way, it really is easier to do these kinds of things when the interviewers are folks you've worked with before.  Gives you a huge jump on picturing them naked to diffuse internal stress.

Now, I get to go home and pack for a road trip up the coast of New England. 

• Like 2

Broke a finger? Ouch.

Potential broken glasses are why I appreciate contact lenses. Even when I don't feel like wearing them all the time, it's nice to have them for certain activities. But my prescription hasn't changed much in forever so even ancient pairs of glasses can do in a pinch. You should see the outdated "dork" pair I have in the car dash for emergencies. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Same thing happened to me a few years ago, broke my middle finger joint in a failed attempt to catch the ball. A pretty common injury amongst basketball players. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Went to a local Mexican restaurant for dinner. Was a sad affair. I've never spent $10 on nachos before today where you only get roughly a handful and a half of chips, and where cheese isn't included with the nachos. Last I heard, those are called "chips"...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Interviewed for that promotion today.  I think it went as well as can be expected-- took the full hour, no obvious flubs or faux pas, and I think I came up with at-least-reasonable responses to all of their questions.  I think I can say with some confidence that, if I don't get this job, it won't be because I bombed the interview.  I should hear something the week after next, which is convenient because I'm going to be out all next week. 

By the way, it really is easier to do these kinds of things when the interviewers are folks you've worked with before.  Gives you a huge jump on picturing them naked to diffuse internal stress.

I wonder if it works the other way? Like if you imagine them dressed up as a medieval knight? Imagining people naked always feels a bit wrong to me. In a work context.

Outburst of the day: "Sweet Harmony Krieg!"

(I had to look it up. Not sure why the character popped into my head)

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

Climbed around in the trees like a deranged monkey removing dead branches with a small saw, now I'm all scratched up, sweaty, dirty and exhausted. However, this does not stop me from going to a party and getting drunk. No sir!

Speaking of which, has Cal started his new job yet?

-Elwood Blues

Speaking of interviews I just got hired as an App QA Consultant at Disney

Grats :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have been hunting this bee. Since yesterday.

It somehow keeps comming inside the house, even though I checked and there doesn't seem to be a hole in the insect screens in the windows or I even close the windows. I am an architect, so it's not as if I had no clue about windows and couldn't think of a thousand points where an insect could crawl into a house.

Yesterday I kicked out this bee four times. Today when I woke up and opened the curtains, it was sitting on the outside of the window pane, between window and insect screen. When I went out for a coffee with a friend, as I returned and made to unlock the door, the bee came aflying and landed on my shoe expectantly.

It just came back in and pretty casually let me throw it out again.

I write this as I wait for the bee to return.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I write this as I wait for the bee to return.

If you never post again, we shall assume the bee was planning to murder you all along and finally succeeded.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

1 lb of (surprisingly good) boerewors, a 2008 grenache, and a sunny day.

-Elwood Blues

Won a super hot chili pepper (self grown) eating duel with a friend. Rules: no pain relieving aids like soda or bread, chili must be chewed for 10 seconds before swallowing, the duelists have to remain in their chairs during the whole duel. 

At one point the pain was totally unbearable but I have prevailed and been victorious. I'm still having severe heartburn but it was totally worth it.

1 lb of (surprisingly good) boerewors, a 2008 grenache, and a sunny day.

Thats really ni.........wait. A sunny day in England? Have you been smoking the good stuff again? Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

Had a funny moment walking the dogs when some toddler ran out of his yard up behind us, so I turned around and the kid looked at me, bawled and then run back into his yard.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra