What you did today

Rosbjerg

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. We're doing pretty okay all things considered, it's like she waited until all the relatives from far and wide had shown up and then passed. There's been tears and a few disagreements regarding funeral arrangements, but mostly everyone has made it through with enough closure to deal with it.

Thanks for the laugh, Wals. ^^

My condolences, as well. Still, there's something inherently impressive in going out "Indian Chief Style".

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Well I think I can say, that with the raised temperature yet suffering chills and shivvers, and the half-hour I just spent with my guts in rebellion.. It quite possibly is the blush of flu. >_<

Hot chillis, ginger, and whisky!

I've always said that a flexible ginger will cure any ailment.

I've always said that a flexible ginger will cure any ailment.

As much as I like redheads, I don't think I'm quite capable of handling a flexible ginger appropriately at the moment....

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Incredibly unproductive this month, which makes me depressed. Still trying to get some work done, and also take some time out with games, exercise, cooking, etc., but not sure that's helping. 

Didn't catch a dang thing. We started in Georgian Bay, but then the propeller on the electric motor hit a rock after those of us at the front of the canoe were a bit too blitzed to pay attention, and we had to bring it in.

Then after putting on a new blade we went to a lake that was kind of close. It was deeper than usual and we didn't catch anything but weeds there either.

On the other hand, I wasn't working, and I found out that I can still switch from beer to tequila when I run out of beer and not throw up. My Irish liver and stomach is still in near perfect working order.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Incredibly unproductive this month, which makes me depressed. Still trying to get some work done, and also take some time out with games, exercise, cooking, etc., but not sure that's helping. 

It's the nature of academic work that you will constantly feel incredibly unproductive. You either learn to live with the feeling or choose to seek employment anywhere - hopefully with your degree - like I did. :/

Going to sleep "early" and then tomorrow late-morn trying to pry my spouse out of home-lurking and into the movie theater .. often a Herculean task these days. Wish me luck. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's the nature of academic work that you will constantly feel incredibly unproductive. You either learn to live with the feeling or choose to seek employment anywhere - hopefully with your degree - like I did. :/

Thinking about what you've written here I'd suggest the central problem with much (not all) academci work is that it is moderated and marked by someone else. There's precious little opportunity to move beyond what makes sense to people older, more cowardly, and less up to date than you are.

Of course I would hold the same is surprisingly true of all other work. >_<

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Gettings lots of hydration and working the ibruprufen, going to see if I can actually get anything done today.

Although first up is some basic home tasks and clearing some laundry and making sure there are enough clean cups for tea drinking...

Gettings lots of hydration and working the ibruprufen, going to see if I can actually get anything done today.

Although first up is some basic home tasks and clearing some laundry and making sure there are enough clean cups for tea drinking...

Have you considered nipping to the nearest military surplus then issuing each household member with their own mug, knife, fork, spoon?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thinking about what you've written here I'd suggest the central problem with much (not all) academci work is that it is moderated and marked by someone else. There's precious little opportunity to move beyond what makes sense to people older, more cowardly, and less up to date than you are.

Of course I would hold the same is surprisingly true of all other work. >_<

I'm not sure that's entirely it: I mean, you're right in that the peer review politics is what eventually pushed me over the edge, but the nature of the work is such that (at least I and a lot of people I know) always wind up feeling like you haven't achieved what you (theoretically) were capable of during the morning/day/week/month... My adviser described it as having had that feeling you haven't done your homework for ~40 years straight. :p

It's less related to the marking aspect and more the combination of broad projects, independence and a general lack of support. ;)

Have you considered nipping to the nearest military surplus then issuing each household member with their own mug, knife, fork, spoon?

Or just a mug and a spork! There's a new Swedish one that also has a knife integrated! ;)

Dammit man.

We need a proper array of pint-sized mugs to take our tea.  Plus if I make sure I've got some clean mugs in a row, I don't have to stress about feeling incredibly crappy tomorrow and not being able to find a clean mug when I require tea...

Dammit man.

We need a proper array of pint-sized mugs to take our tea.  Plus if I make sure I've got some clean mugs in a row, I don't have to stress about feeling incredibly crappy tomorrow and not being able to find a clean mug when I require tea...

I'm talking about one of these sets

$T2eC16V,!zoE9s5ne+j7BRf-EIib5w~~60_35.J

Believe me there's quite enough space in one of those mugs.

EDIT: Also, if your mum needs water she's got a bottle handy. Win.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 2

-Elwood Blues

Although to add to the joys of the day..  one of the dogs has diarrhea, and mom's just managed to catch her hand on the heating element inside the oven.  Nothing too serious, but that smell of slightly burnt flesh adds wonders to the kitchen. >_<

Hm, if it's leaving a smell in the kitchen doesn't seem like it's nothing serious :p

A nice relaxing long weekend, managed to get some stuff done at least with cleaning. Totally forgot what was on the bounce at work and I thought I had written it down, but oh well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Saw a dream in which Alanshu tried to hire me as a ghostbuster to clear his girlfriend's haunted old mansion.

I spend too much time on this forum...

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

First exam/stop-test of this semester is over - pretty easy one actually, which was nice since I didn't have time to study (or well, technically I choose not to have time). But it was a really vague test with questions like "what happened in 1282?", of course we knew what they were referring to, but a lot happened that year!

Fortune favors the bald.

Although to add to the joys of the day..  one of the dogs has diarrhea, and mom's just managed to catch her hand on the heating element inside the oven.  Nothing too serious, but that smell of slightly burnt flesh adds wonders to the kitchen. >_<

Just imagine if the dog had diahorrea in the oven!

EDIT: segueing neatly from dog poop...

I've been exchanging rather heated emails with an old flame of mine. I'm normally a fan of pen on paper, but it occurred to me that there's arguably something poetic about being joined by electricity.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

there's arguably something poetic about being joined by electricity.

Oooh, it never even occured to me.

And of course now I have 80s songs stuck in my head... again.

. Then again, I can think of far worse things to have stuck in one's head than OMD.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).