Pictures of your games part 2

Rosbjerg

Yeah, I was vaguely interested in the idea of it when it was announced, but it doesn't really pass muster if you look at what you get. I suppose it might be a good option for people who rely on Steam for multiplayer support (note that the new version is *not* compatible in any way with the original release for multiplayer), since that's apparently the biggest change. Other than that there's fairly standard updates for modern machines, but fairly minimal ones that have already been accomplished by the mod community.

Check out the feature list of the UserPatch for the original release - there's a *lot* of overlap between it and the "official" HD version. Indeed you could say it's better - such as the aforementioned UI stretching, plus smart unit build queue splitting.

I'm disappointed at the missed opportunity to do a real update to the game. AoE2 is, to this day, the last RTS game I've played for any meaningful length of time, and indeed is, alongside Total Annihilation, one of the two games of that genre I can say I genuinely like and have good memories of. Given I could probably fairly say that RTS is my least favourite genre of game (FPSes running a close second), I'd consider that fairly high praise. It was the multiplayer game of choice (besides, er, Mario Kart) in my household growing up, so I would note also that there's no offline LAN support in the new release - I'd have to buy three copies of it just to replicate those experiences, as opposed to just firing up the game on multiple machines with the one CD. (Tangential rant: what happened to those old fashioned "multiplayer spawn" installations of yesteryear? Moneygrubbing bastards.)

At any rate, I had a quick look at the Steam forum for AoE2HD and it doesn't seem pretty. Sure, overreactions are standard for this type of thing, but there seem to be some legitimately serious issues such as frame rate drops and multiplayer connectivity drops/lag.

Plus they changed the food icon from a steak to an ear of corn. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

After checking the availability of the original Age of Empires 2 release online (the result being that nobody sells it as a downloadable title, I checked all the bigger online stores), I can't really judge this HD version too negatively as it's definitely better than nothing

Plus they changed the food icon from a steak to an ear of corn. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

They did WHAT!? BLASPHEMY!

You have upgraded your cave with cannons on the surface?

Different spot...it's for a quest where one is supposed to protect a camp/refugee area.

I got bored of working on the cave, especially without a concrete plan. I'll get back to designing that later. It looks something like this now tho:

PlanetExplorers-0038.jpg

PlanetExplorers-0036.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Doing some work on my Commandos missions again. :)

9uGkzd.png

/Edit: Noticed that I forgot to add shadows to the tents. Damnation. Will have to fix it right away. :>

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So uhm...Waking Cloud was it? Right! What do you say we...ehum..."expand" the colony a bit before we evacuate Zion?

walingcloud.jpg

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Honest Hearts was really fun, I wish they had done more with Joshua Graham though as he was really fun to talk to but it seemed like he was barely used despite being the focal point of the dlc.

Edited by Serrano

Honest Hearts was really fun, I wish they had done more with Joshua Graham though as he was really fun to talk to but it seemed like he was barely used despite being the focal point of the dlc.

I wish I could visit New Cannan :(

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Mission: Provide CAS (Close Air Support) to NATO ground forces blocking a Russian advance to the city of Batumi.

Package: 2x A-10C (Hawg 1), 2x A-10C (Boar 1), 2x F-16C SEAD (Colt 1), 2x F-16C CAP (Enfield 1).

Execution: Upon reaching initial point, contact ground JTAC (Joint Terminal Attack Controller), callsign "Moonbeam 1-1" for tasking. Time on station is 0h+30m.

------

Welcome to my office. The A-10C is an upgrade to the venerable Fairchild Republic A-10A which has seen service since the early 70s. The upgrade included an updated avionics suite and a precision-guided munitions delivery capability, which augments the "Warthog's" already formidable ground attack capabilities all the while helping to minimise "Blue on blue" situations:

8633424969_31744fe517_b.jpg

I power on the Hawg's engines and avionics, as well as uploading mission data from my data cartridge and check navigation data and weapons profiles. The process takes ten minutes, after which I taxi to the runway and await take-off clearance.

8633424491_799e9c7001_b.jpg

"Hawg 1-1, airborne." Captain Jordan "Baldie" Roe (despite the callsign, he has a full and sumptuous head of hair, honest!) says as the aircraft clears the runway. He raises his landing gear and retracts the flaps, "Wheels up."

8633424451_8730d010be_b.jpg

"Grrrr... I'm angry... grrr... I've got a giant gatling gun sticking out of my mouth... grrr..."

The key identifying feature of the Hawg is the GAU-8 Avenger 30mm gatling gun that juts out from the nose of the aircraft. It fires a "Combat Mix" of four depleted uranium armour-piercing 30mm rounds for every one high-explosive incendiary round at a rate of fire of 4,200 rounds per minute. It was designed to counter hordes of T-55s and T-62s pouring through the Fulda Gap in the event of a Soviet Invasion of West Germany, but it is still retains its effectiveness against more modern armoured vehicles against the weaker side and rear armour, as well as from a steep dive angle against the top.

Upon reaching the initial point, Baldie could make out dark columns of smoke emanating from burning tanks in the distance. The Russian forces are mostly comprised of T-72Bs, butter for the A-10's GAU-8 gatling gun. But they outnumber a single NATO mechanised infantry battalion that stands between them and Batumi, and the Russians will win unless the fast-movers can turn the tide. Baldie tunes his radio to Moonbeam 1-1's frequency:

"Moonbeam 1-1, this is Hawg 1-1. Two A-10s 9nm west of IP Adder at 1600. Armed with AGM-65D, GBU-12, CBU-97, 2300 cannon. Play-time is plus 30. Available for tasking, what do you have for us?"

A moment before the radio cackles:

"Hawg 1-1, this is Moonbeam 1-1, type two in effect, we have trade for you, advise when ready for nine-line." the JTAC responds. A "nine-line" brief is a standardised format for requesting air support which includes the following conditions: The IP for the aircraft to begin his or her attack from, the heading of the target offset from the attacking aircraft's nose, distance from the target, the target's elevation in MSL, the type of target, its GPS co-ordinates, what it is being marked with, location of friendlies in proximity to the target, and finally the  suggested egress.

"Ready to copy." Baldie says as he circles NATO ground forces below him.

"Line is as follows: Adder, three-five-zero, 12 nm, 270 feet MSL, tank column, coordinates Kilo Mike five one seven four five zero, marked by Willy Pete, friendlies southeast 2000 meters, egress east."  the JTAC sounds off. "Advise when ready for remarks and further talk-on."

"Ready to copy remarks." Baldie responds.

"Requesting AGM-65D. Zeus and MANPADS 3 nautical miles north. Make your attack heading 70-290. Stand-by data."

8633423919_298672a07b_b.jpg

Some of the key features of the A-10C's upgrade package were a tactical awareness display (TAD) using NATO's ubiquitous Link-16 situational awareness data-link and a LANTIRN targeting pod that can be slaved to the SADL. Whereas before A-10 pilots would typically locate targets using their Mark I Eyeballs, forward air controllers can now upload GPS co-ordinates to the A-10's TAD, minimising the time between nine-line briefing to rounds on target. Moonbeam sounds off: "Report IP inbound."

"Hawg 1-1, IP inbound." Baldie says as he begins his approach.

"Roger, continue." Moonbeam responds. A loud "fwump" could be heard over the radio. "Mark is on the deck."

The JTAC had launched a white phosphorous "Willy Pete" grenade into the general vicinity of the target. Baldie spots the smoke emanating from the grenade a short time later.

"Contact the mark." Baldie cooly says.

"From the mark, 50 meters. Cleared to engage" the JTAC replies. Baldie slews the view of the targeting pod accordingly.

8633423799_3430ee565c_b.jpg

The T-72s are lit up like a Dutch Brothel when viewed through the LANTIRN TGP's thermal-imaging mode. Baldie switches on the Master Arm of the aircraft and changes the sensor of interest (SOI) to the AGM-65D's seeker head. "Hawg 1-1, in from the west. Rifle!" he cries, as he lets loose three Maverick missiles.

8633424335_cd1b542bfb_b.jpg

While the A-10's trademark weapon is the GAU, the deadliest weapon in its arsenal is the AGM-65 Maverick series of fire-and-forget anti-tank guided missiles. Loaded with a 125 pound shaped charge, the "D" infra-red seeking variant is capable of defeating almost any armour.

8634531762_67eec3575d_b.jpg

"Shack!" the JTAC reports that the three missiles have hit home. "Hawg 1-1, targets destroyed." 

8634531198_bba876b967_b.jpg

Baldie switches on his countermeasures program to pop a series of flares in the event a Russian Motor-rifle manages to launch a SAM in retaliation.

Then, a new voice sounds off over the radio.

"Hawg 1-1, Magic, divert to IP Towel and stand-by for re-tasking." "Magic", an E-8 JSTARS operator reports. "Special operations team has identified OPFOR C3 assets coordinating the Russian advance. Contact Playboy 3-1 for tasking, over."

"Copy that." Baldie responds. He turns 10 nautical miles to the north where he then contacts the spec-ops team's forward air controller. "Playboy 3-1, this is Hawg 1-1. Available for tasking, what do you have for us?"

"Hawg 1-1, we've got multiple trucks 1200 meters west of our position. Looks like a Russian CP. Stand-by for laser spot, code one two one four, requesting gun run, over."

The LANTIRN targeting pod also has a built-in feature that can locate a target being painted by an encrypted infra-red laser being fired by a forward air controller. After spotting the laser, all of the A-10s sensors are immediately slewed to the target.

"Copy, I've got your sparkle." Baldie says as he spots the trucks, some with communications antennae sticking out of them. Some of the trucks were lined up in columns, ideal for a strafing run with the Avenger. 

"In hot!" Baldie says as he begins his run.

"Cleared hot!" Playboy cries.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

8633605217_725cbc379e_b.jpg

*BWWWWAAAAAAA* The GAU-8 thunders. The GCAS warnings ring and a female voice, "B****ing Betty," protests "Altitude! Altitude!" as Baldie ceases fire and pulls up.

"Playboy 3-1, request BDA." Baldie says as he drops another series of flares. He waits for a moment before Playboy is on the horn again.

"Hawg 1-1, three trucks destroyed, re-attack is authorised. Turn 180 degrees from your heading and reference secondaries. Remaining targets are 300 meters to the west, over."

While the A-10 is not a quick aircraft by any stretch of the imagination, it's straight wing set-up means it has an incredibly tight turn radius, Baldie is quickly ready for another run.

"In hot!" He cries.

8634530738_279f7857de_b.jpg

The altitude warnings ring again as Baldie pulls up barely 500 feet above the deck.

8633423191_e7e974c3a1_b.jpg

Baldie continues on course before Playboy's voice cackles on the radio again. "Hawg 1-1, targets destroyed. No further tasking available. Nice work! You may depart."

Baldie affirms and egresses along the Georgian coast, contacts the air-traffic controller at Batumi International Airport, the makeshift airbase for NATO forces at the moment. He lines up with the runway, lowers his landing gear, and extends the flaps.

8634530218_48ba47efe7_b.jpg

8634530178_8805b02fb9_b.jpg

Code one. As Batumi International Airport was not necessarily intended as a military airbase, the airstrip is rather short, which necessitates extending the airbrakes along with applying the toe-brakes for the landing gear. As the aircraft slows to under 50 knots, Baldie taxis the Hawg to the parking area and powers down the aircraft. The crew-chief will at least be satisfied that Baldie returned his "baby" no worse for wear. Another job well done!

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Admittedly, a bunch of that is embellished. I have so far mastered the 50+ step start-up procedure, taking off and landing, aircraft maneuvering, basic navigational display management, basic weapons employment, and coordination with the joint-terminal attack controller. That said, there's at least five hundred functions to the aircraft I haven't learned (advanced management of the CDU, multiple JDAM drops, trouble-shooting some CICU errors, etc) and I probably only know about a third of the total material from the 700+ page manual. I do however have a small plane license and experience with flight sims since I was eleven (I am 24 now), so that helps.

-Rod Serling

That's a serious game manual. I love it.

I don't think I've had anything more than 150+ page paperback manuals with spiral wire binding.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

A-10 Warthogs rock. Saw one at an air show once. Their engines make the coolest sound during an approach run (although if I were an opponent I wouldn't want to be hearing it).

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Probably the most impressive engine sound I ever heard was from a Harrier I watched at an air show. I frequently go to the House of Blues in West Hollywood for the Summer Slaughter tour, but even listening to ear-shatteringly loud death metal doesn't beat the sound of a Harrier doing a STOL takeoff in terms of decibel levels.

-Rod Serling

Time for a world of hurt... for them!

post-16159-0-11213200-1365847227_thumb.jpg

Woohoo. Good thing I play on the lowest difficulty (and my entire team was maxxed to the limit) or my lack of preperation would have doomed me for sure. Also barely left the doctor alive, and the doctor kept the rest alive.

post-16159-0-38841300-1365847091_thumb.jpg

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Playing some Crusader Kings II as a Seljuk Vassal.

2013041300001.jpg

Caliph Nizam I, most venerable lord of Syria, Bagdad and several lesser titles. With 4 lovely wives and 9 happy kids.. Life is good.

2013041300002.jpg

I was wondering why the dear Duke of Normandy was so passive..

2013041300003b.jpg
Saw two counties in Italy with a respectively Danish and Swedish Flag .. and of course they are at war with each other haha

Fortune favors the bald.

I love when I open an ordinary Dahl chest and this happens:

2013-04-13_00001_zpsd2f9bdee.jpg

Especially as I'm playing a sniper character.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I wonder if flight schools ever use flight simulators to get their students accustomed for basic prep, takeoff and landing procedures.

When I was getting my license, they walked me through Microsoft Flight Simulator first, which was in my case more of a formality. Hard part was getting used to the responsiveness of the controls in the real aircraft as opposed to it with an off the shelf flight stick (the instructor sat next to me ready to take over the controls if things started looking pear-shaped).

As for DCS, the game started as an avionics training simulator for pilots of the Air National Guard converting to the A-10C, and after some time the company that developed it, Eagle Dynamics, was allowed to produce a commercial version. Keep in mind that the sim is modeled after the 2nd block of upgraded A-10Cs where the USAF and ANG have just now filled orders for the 7th block and the capabilities of certain top-of-the-line equipment like the Sniper XR targeting pod remain too classified to be modeled accurately in the sim as well.

-Rod Serling

Murdered my brother and took his kingdom, got usurped by the other who took mine (murdered him too and took it all back) and then I locked my sister in the dungeon and took her lands (where she quickly died).. What? wrong? The pope says it's cool! My last surviving sister is, understandably - a little worried at this point. I mean, who needs enemies with family like that.

2013041500002.jpg

Fortune favors the bald.