Voice synthesis for games?

rjshae

Something I've been curious about for a while is how close we are to using computer voice synthesis for voice-overs in computer games? I'm sure that human voices are much higher quality, but given the cost of voice-overs, a voice synthesis approach seems like a useful alternative for non-AAA titles.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I would think the main issue now would be the "Acting" part of voice acting. You could synthesize a realistic voice, but getting it to deliver lines in a believable way would be difficult I would think.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Some games I've played, they already sounded as if their voice acting has been synthesized. Skyrim for instance. It's just terrible.

Yeah but its a Bethesda game. Its like they require bad voice acting.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think I'd feel bad for the many suddenly out of work (or at least less work to be had) voice actors.

Altho I can see it for some of the smaller bits, like background chrs. and other noises. But for main/player/companion type chrs...I hope we're still a really long ways away from it. Just my opinion.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hire the team that Britney Spears use for her "live" concerts :rolleyes:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Voice synthesis is probably about as far away from mimicking a natural human voice as current graphics are from mimicking a real human appearance, if not closer. Yet we forgive the latter attempt much more readily. I don't really have a point here, but just found it an interesting phenomenon. That, and I miss the halcyon days of the reign of FMVs.

As for the voice actors, I have about as much sympathy for them as I did for those live action actors who got obsoleted years ago. As in, there is some, but considering the tradeoff of game developers being no longer beholden to the logistics of recording, it's a trade I'd instantly make every time. It's hard enough to add or fix stuff stuff in expansions, DLC, and even patches when the actors *are* available and willing to come back. Consider even huge, massively funded blockbusters like ME2. Their DLC squad members were essentially non-interactive because of the piecemeal nature of recording additional voicework. Multiply the difficulty for your average, more modest projects. The current system is a huge drag on developers' ability to build on immersive worlds.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

As for the voice actors, I have about as much sympathy for them as I did for those live action actors who got obsoleted years ago. As in, there is some, but considering the tradeoff of game developers being no longer beholden to the logistics of recording, it's a trade I'd instantly make every time. It's hard enough to add or fix stuff stuff in expansions, DLC, and even patches when the actors *are* available and willing to come back. Consider even huge, massively funded blockbusters like ME2. Their DLC squad members were essentially non-interactive because of the piecemeal nature of recording additional voicework. Multiply the difficulty for your average, more modest projects. The current system is a huge drag on developers' ability to build on immersive worlds.

Live action actors are obsolete? I haven't noticed that yet, either in terms of film or stage. The industry for both has changed of course, but obsolete? Nah.

I'm always sympathetic towards the continuing push to eliminate requiring humans from various jobs...as I think in the long run it leads to a lack of variety, option, number, and "tiers" of employment opportunities.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hah! Convincing synthesized voices? Fat chance. Pass the uncanny valley for the more easily fooled eyes and then we'll talk ears. Close to mimicking voices and appearance! People overestimate modern day graphics. It's easy to go "oooh" about something that looks cool but there's a reason everyone hates on CG heavy action movies - computer graphics are never convincing. And this is coming from a CG Animator.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Live action actors are obsolete? I haven't noticed that yet, either in terms of film or stage. The industry for both has changed of course, but obsolete? Nah.

I'm always sympathetic towards the continuing push to eliminate requiring humans from various jobs...as I think in the long run it leads to a lack of variety, option, number, and "tiers" of employment opportunities.

Largely obsolete in the games industry. If the same happened to voice actors they'd likewise still have work outside of games. The obvious follow-up question is why I'm singling out games as opposed to TV series, ads and whatnot. I feel the flexibility offered by being able to do away with the logistical issues is worth the tradeoff of a little aural fidelity - in the same using polygons instead of live action allows developers to overcome similar issues with the same tradeoff made. That kind of flexibility is nowhere near as critical in the other fields that voice actors work in.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

You mean to help riggers set up cut scenes and such they would have extras go through the motions, possibly with motion capture. Or maybe instead of cut scenes they would shoot scenes with actors.

A simulated voice would have to be extremely good. We already know we are not looking at people. Take away the remaining human characteristic from the character and the result would wind up very plastic.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.