RANDOM VIDEA GAME NEWS!

Rosbjerg

David reminds me of my high-school English lit teacher who assigned us nothing but morbid, depressing stories that ended in the protagonist's abject failure. When I asked why all the stories were all like that, she told me true literature was depressing. I think he also has too high an opinion of Hollywood and too low an opinion of the industry. Both produce a lot of gems and a lot of schlock.

Huh, I'm surprised he is so unhappy with Greenlight.  I guess he envisioned it as something better, but I thought it was a pretty good way to get indie developers spotlighted.

But the process is also very slow and heavily driven by voice-of-mouth. How many people go there to vote for one game because they heard about it from a friend, and vote on nothing else?

Beyond that, it's slow. There have been, what, thirty games approved since it started, with how many still in the queue?

I already see it coming: Half-Life 3 debuting exclusively on Steambox (and PC) and being accompanied with concurrent Half-Life movie release directed by super-star J.J. Abrams that enjoys massive hype and a marketing campaign as big as Star Wars or Avatar.

Gabe will calmly stroke his mighty beard. Ballmer will die on a hard attack. The internet will explode. Everyone will go nuts.

And you STILL won't get Episode 3.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/186166/Bastions_argument_for_doing_away_with_crossplatform_development.php

Bad title, but good content The mind behind Bastion notes that by staggering development and release of ports, they managed to make superior products than a simultaneous port, and they still sold very well. If only this mentality was more wide-spread...

Lost was captivating and intricate, I have never watched a TV series through the years that made me think about the plot as much as Lost. It was an excellent TV series.

Maybe you didn't understand what the series was about Ocelot? Thats what I found was the reason most of the time when people said they didn't like Lost, it was based on there general confusion with the show. Don't feel bad if thats the reason,  many people didn't get it.

If you "got it", it's projection on your part, they just use everything as a plot device without a plan or consistency. What I'm saying is your new clothes are spectacular emperor. I couldn't relate to the characters, the show sometimes briefly and haphazardly flirted with sci-fi. I just can't stand that type of fluidity and irrational story telling, where characters aren't characters in their own right but are just things that serve whatever narrative they wanted that week.

LOST is fantastic, but I understand some people didn't enjoy it.  What I don't get is putting Half-Life on a pedestal.  It is a great shooter with very good cinematics worked into the game, but it's a pretty meh story.  It's definitely not original in any way, which can't be said about LOST.

Half-Life's storytelling is impressive, the story isn't that remarkable, although it's definitely a million times better than LOST's. Movies and TV shows cannot do what games like Half-Life did.

I already see it coming: Half-Life 3 debuting exclusively on Steambox... 

I fully expect Half-Life 3 to be SteamBox exclusive, at least for a period of time (3 months? 6 months? 1 year?).  If you're going to launch a new console...  like...  thingy, then you need a heavy hitter exclusive to give people an incentive to purchase it.  It doesn't get much more heavy hitter than Half-Life 3.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Lost was captivating and intricate, I have never watched a TV series through the years that made me think about the plot as much as Lost. It was an excellent TV series.

Maybe you didn't understand what the series was about Ocelot? Thats what I found was the reason most of the time when people said they didn't like Lost, it was based on there general confusion with the show. Don't feel bad if thats the reason,  many people didn't get it.

I don't know if "what the **** did I just watch" and "that just made **** all sense" qualifies as "making me think." It's like saying the ME3 ending made people think.

But that's just me.

• Like 2

LOST was more about the journey than the destination though. The ending was bound to disappoint many.

Which is really what people should do with the Mass Effect series as well. Don't let the last 10 minutes ruin the previous 80 hours.

Edited by Hurlshot

I already see it coming: Half-Life 3 debuting exclusively on Steambox... 

I fully expect Half-Life 3 to be SteamBox exclusive...

If that's the case I think they'll loose more sales than they gain, most people who use Steam have a decent enough PC/Laptop that it can run HL2 - why should they spend more money on a console that's going to be redundant?

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

LOST was more about the journey than the destination though.  The ending was bound to disappoint many.

I would expand on that point and say the "ending" was disappointing, and that's the "ending" of a scene, a episode, a arc, a season, or the entire series. I think that's what Abrams brings, and he explains it in interviews and talks. I think as a director he's fine, but as a creator, writer, producer, no I don't get it.

Obviously some of the stuff isn't his fault, another of LOST's writers, Lindelof, wrote Prometheus, which is offensively bad, it's remarkable in that it hardly makes any sense on any level, even in the most simplest of terms.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Huh, I'm surprised he is so unhappy with Greenlight.  I guess he envisioned it as something better, but I thought it was a pretty good way to get indie developers spotlighted.

There's also been alot of sub-par games that have ended up getting through because of it, so I can understand why he might be unhappy. 

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Don't let the last 10 minutes ruin the previous 80 hours.

You say that like people have a choice. No one actually wants the ending to ruin the entire experience for them; it simply does.

But don't you think you are letting the ending negatively influence your perception of the overall series, I was also a little disappointed with the ending in some ways. But how did that change years of excitement discussing and pondering questions like " who was Jacob", " what was the monster" and " what did Charles Widmore want with the island"

I honestly think that Hurlshot summarized Lost succinctly and accurately when he said "Lost was about the journey, not the destination"

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But don't you think you are letting the ending negatively influence your perception of the overall series, I was also a little disappointed with the ending in some ways. But how did that change years of excitement discussing and pondering questions like " who was Jacob", " what was the monster" and " what did Charles Widmore want with the island"

I honestly think that Hurlshot summarized Lost succinctly and accurately when he said "Lost was about the journey, not the destination"

Again, there's no letting here; it simply happens. I can't control how I feel about something short of getting a lobotomy and forgetting it.

Anyways I feel kind of bad about derailing the thread so lets get back to the news.

New viral site for SC2 (pass is Y7_$0>0k_3<$m). Probably has to do with HotS.

• Like 1

Again, there's no letting here; it simply happens. I can't control how I feel about something short of getting a lobotomy and forgetting it.

Anyways I feel kind of bad about derailing the thread so lets get back to the news.

New viral site for SC2 (pass is Y7_$0>0k_3<$m). Probably has to do with HotS.

Yeah it smells SC2, i hope its something about that protoss/zerg hybrid experiments.

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

LOST was more about the journey than the destination though. The ending was bound to disappoint many.

Which is really what people should do with the Mass Effect series as well. Don't let the last 10 minutes ruin the previous 80 hours.

My take on ME3 these days is that I found the game ultimately disappointing as a whole (the way me2 npcs just cameo, beefcake mcboredom, disappointing and contrived story elements from Rannoch onwards) and that my personal frustration with the ending was due to my hope that It Would Get Better. Instead, it got worse.

But, yeah. Ot.

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Remember Me - new video:

Hmm... DX:IW aesthetics meets Batman AA combat?

Hm, I can't make up my mind about this game. I like the idea...  but then the key element of memory manipulation is a "you can't fail at this" because you literally cannot go forward until you get it spot on and exactly right.  If only it could handle divergent fallout depending on how you set the memories up ...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My take on ME3 these days is that I found the game ultimately disappointing as a whole (the way me2 npcs just cameo, beefcake mcboredom, disappointing and contrived story elements from Rannoch onwards) and that my personal frustration with the ending was due to my hope that It Would Get Better. Instead, it got worse.

But, yeah. Ot.

The fact that the Tuchanka and Rannoch arcs were great just pissed me off the more. 

• Like 2

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

A new Ouya model every year

Milking that magic cow for all its worth, it would seem...

Death in Star Citizen

I approve of this mechanic and making the results of dying obvious in more than just a statistic. The comments do indicate there will be places to reset your counter in-game, for those who are flush with in-game cash and don't want to take the death-ding.

Edited by TSBasilisk