What you did today

Gorth

Not a whole lot going on today but going to Cirque du Soleil tomorrow.

Also, happy 237th birthday to the Marine Corps! Semper Fidelis

Holy Smoke, I didn't realize the Marine Corp was that old. Happy B-day :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Huzzah, Shady. I laughed out loud about the deadliness of Australia, Monte. Beautiful rainbow, Labadal.

One thing that has always saved me is my capacity to down massive amounts of alcohol without a hangover. Granted, I can't get off scott free, at least according to my meddling doctor, but at least I've hardly ever had terrible hangovers. However, the downside is that whenever I actually do have a hangover, it catches me by surprise.

Anyhow, made my own homemade salsa yesterday. Took all day, but it tastes good. Now, because the wife prefers it, I'm going to make some salsa verde for her while I make lunch. I'll do it the quick and dirty method, so twenty minutes and she gets a sauce she likes with her meal.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Not a whole lot going on today but going to Cirque du Soleil tomorrow.

Also, happy 237th birthday to the Marine Corps! Semper Fidelis

Happy Birthday my Brother! I believe you an I are the only ones who frequent these boards who can say that today. So I raise a toast to you, our Corps, and the Marines who have gone before!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If you drink about 1 liter of water before you go to sleep you can avoid most hangovers ( the problem is I sometimes forget to drink the water before sleeping :) )

Even better, if it fails and you get a bad hangover, you can make it worse with adult-age bedwetting. :p

I tend to get delayed hangovers, I can potter about, sometimes for a couple of hours, feeling perfectly fine and then, ZAM. Usually when I've gone for a walk and I'm at the furthest point from home or something. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I just got back from an impromptu little vacation. I just spent the last four days camping in Shepard State Park down in Mississippi, fishing every day in Pascogula Bay. I had my cell phone turned off, no TV, no newspaper, and no news of any kind. It was nice. I brought two books and a ipod with nothing but Jimmy Buffet songs. I have to admit, I was really depressed about the election outcome, but I'm ok now. Life does go on after all.

I caught a 33" snook on Thursday. And since he was in season I got to keep him. I filleted and grilled it with Cajun seasoning, sage & Mcllhenny's over a camp fire. Served up with fire grilled zucchini and a cold beer, it just doesn't get any better than that. Tommy got a big piece of it (without the seasoning) chopped up in his dog food. I caught a few others, that were either too small, out of season, or undesirable so they got sent back. It was a good time all in all.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Fishing can definitely be a relaxing/meditative activity, even if you're crawling along a muddy streambank looking for the perfect spots all day (vs. sitting in a boat or fly-fishing). Whatever way one fishes, something about it is just peaceful/fun. Shame I don't actually like eating fish. We caught this monstrous catfish once, brought it home in a huge cooler, cooked it up w/some friends and ate it. It was ok, but...yeah, not a fish person.

Woke up late, watched some BBC comedy while eating leftover pizza. Surfed the 'net. Currently thinking "what now?" .... being the weekend, I could just nap on the couch repeatedly, but I'm in the mood for something more. Perhaps a visit to the geek-palace known as Fry's.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finally replaced the PSU in my hardly-used XP machine...no more loud, high pitched "whine" when I do turn it on (it started as a barely audible whine a while back, then grew louder and louder over months), yay. But in doing so, I noticed that my Win7 machine is now starting to produce the same little PSU whine. Barely there, so it can wait a bit, but ... argh. Figures.

I can't stand electronic "whine" ... even if it doesn't mean anything bad, my ears, my ears. Flour. bulbs, TV's, whatever. I thought us older folk were supposed to lose ability to hear those ranges by now. Would be nice. :banghead:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Isn't modern life grand, Red? I mean, the wife and I watch BBC comedies also. We get goods, produce, and entertainment from around the world at our beck and call. The world's come a long way. I remember being stationed in Korea and there wasn't any internet or email and the one place from which I could make a stateside call was truly truly expensive. On the other hand, think of the poor bastards from prior times where it could take months or longer to get word back and forth. The world is so much smaller today.

Anyhow, watching episodes of Doc Martin.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You need to rehydrate before you sleep. Srsyl, booze makes your bloody brain shrink from dehydration. Stop it. For the love of God.

Words of wisdom. I've been so drunk that it took 48 hours to sober up, but never in my life had a headache as a result. Whichever way you do it, make sure you are hydrated enough before crashing for the night.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I just got back from an impromptu little vacation. I just spent the last four days camping in Shepard State Park down in Mississippi, fishing every day in Pascogula Bay. I had my cell phone turned off, no TV, no newspaper, and no news of any kind. It was nice. I brought two books and a ipod with nothing but Jimmy Buffet songs. I have to admit, I was really depressed about the election outcome, but I'm ok now. Life does go on after all.

I caught a 33" snook on Thursday. And since he was in season I got to keep him. I filleted and grilled it with Cajun seasoning, sage & Mcllhenny's over a camp fire. Served up with fire grilled zucchini and a cold beer, it just doesn't get any better than that. Tommy got a big piece of it (without the seasoning) chopped up in his dog food. I caught a few others, that were either too small, out of season, or undesirable so they got sent back. It was a good time all in all.

Wow, that sounded like an amazing and therapeutic camping trip. How far is Mississippi from where you live. I have always wanted to go to Mississippi , I have a very romanticized view of the state from reading Tow Sayer and Huckleberry Finn when I was young. I use to dream about the majestic Mississippi river and camping and fishing all day.

And that fish meal sounded delicious, simple but perfect under the circumstances :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bruce, I'm forty one years old now. If there is anything I've learned in that time it's that the simple things are always the best. I live just north of Memphis so Mississippi is not to far. The state line is just south of Memphis and Bilioxi is just a four hour drive. There are plenty of nice places on the gulf as long as you stay away from the larger cities. I had the park all to myself (well the campground at least) right up until Friday night. It got a little crowded so I left Saturday morning. If it had stayed empty I might still be there. :lol:

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I can't believe I've been trading posts on a gaming forum with some of you for over ten years. Heck I seldom even play computer games anymore but still come back here several times a week. Amazing. I still remember half of you as kids, Calax, Krookie, Pixies come to mind. Now they are all college educated adults (at least as far as age goes :lol: ). FWIW everyone it has been a pleasue reading and discussing the ups and downs of everyday life, love, politics and other stuff with all of you.

Thomas Sowell

I can't believe I've been trading posts on a gaming forum with some of you for over ten years. Heck I seldom even play computer games anymore but still come back here several times a week. Amazing. I still remember half of you as kids, Calax, Krookie, Pixies come to mind. Now they are all college educated adults (at least as far as age goes :lol: ). FWIW everyone it has been a pleasue reading and discussing the ups and downs of everyday life, love, politics and other stuff with all of you.

I think krookie was more the kid than any of us.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm still amazed whenever I think that 2005 was actually that many years ago. It's like when I saw "Forrest Gump" on the tv the other night, and noticed its date was 1994. Counted backward and was all "no wai." It's still yesterday to me. :blink: I often wonder what some of the forum regulars are up to now, those who no longer seem to visit. Hope they're all doing well.

...woke up, cleaning house, doing laundry. I think I spend half my life cleaning house in some fashion or another...it's these stupid allergies. I have to. Sigh. :biggrin:

Nice post, this is one of the reasons I really like these forums. You guys have a legacy and are a real community. I also appreciate the honest and fascinating insights people share around there lives.

I am a refugee from the Mortal Online forums, I use to frequent the Off Topic section there for several years. The game never really succeeded and the community got smaller and smaller but the people on Off Topic stayed on. Eventually sections of Off Topic got closed off to any non-paying member and more people left. So for me it was time to find a new forum that was game related but had an interesting Off Topic section. These Obsidian forums have become one of my new hangouts, and the community is a big part of why I come back :)

John Milton 

I'm still amazed whenever I think that 2005 was actually that many years ago. It's like when I saw "Forrest Gump" on the tv the other night, and noticed its date was 1994. Counted backward and was all "no wai." It's still yesterday to me. :blink: I often wonder what some of the forum regulars are up to now, those who no longer seem to visit. Hope they're all doing well.

:lol: That's going back to the BIS days. I was late coming here.

Thomas Sowell

Will be travelling across Canada from 17c weather and by the time I arrive home it'll be -10c!

I think you're traveling in the wrong direction...

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I am a refugee from the Mortal Online forums, I use to frequent the Off Topic section there for several years. The game never really succeeded and the community got smaller and smaller but the people on Off Topic stayed on. Eventually sections of Off Topic got closed off to any non-paying member and more people left. So for me it was time to find a new forum that was game related but had an interesting Off Topic section. These Obsidian forums have become one of my new hangouts, and the community is a big part of why I come back :)
I've had an on again off again relationship with this forum, and yet I've gotten to be close with some of the members. I managed to try out the world of game design because of this forum. I've met several of the people who frequent the joint in real life. In fact, Fio is one of my closest friends and a confidant. I guess, in some ways, it's easier to talk to you guys about things than folks in my real life. I can be candid in a way that I find difficult while speaking to my real life friends and yet the interaction with these forums has, at times, helped me deal with real life issues. This is a real community, and I attribute that by and large to Fionavar working harder than I think most of you folks realize to keep things on an even keel. ...But a community is only as good as the members and I think the members here are top knotch, even the ones (very few of them) I sometimes want to throttle. Anyhow, enough of the love fest.

I went to church this morning and then the weekly Sunday lunch. Now the wife is heading out to shop and I'm going to play some New Vegas and think of what I want to cook for dinner. Maybe something simple tonight like spaghetti. I dunno. I have to think about it.

• Like 1

Obsidian Plays

You guys are getting too sentimental. We're all dudebro's, man. :bat:

I no longer have a headache! Didn't do much today. Watched 2 soccer games: Manchester City vs Tottenham and Chelsea vs Liverpool. Played some NWN2, and replaying Stacking. Now watching Dallas vs Philly, Am. football.

But a community is only as good as the members and I think the members here are top knotch,

Cheers to that - it's not every day you get offered a hideout from your mistakes! ;)

You're talking about mistakes a lot lately. I think I will have a word with funcroc. Your secrets shall soon be ours. :ninja:

Means he's flying under the radar. I know, this is the electronic equivalent of Las Vegas. Only what happens out in the real world can be confessed and stay here. lol

• Like 1

Obsidian Plays