8 companions: is it enough?

I got tired after the first page with people kissing behinds at Obsidian. We all agree that we want well made npc. But I want a little more of them. I want 1 for every race and class. That makes 11 if I am not wrong. I would love to be able to play any race and have a proper assortment. And I want all of those made. I dont want to use your adventure hall. I want npc to interact with.

I dont know if you guys realize but you are brainwashed and brainwashing. PST is great. But it is not the only great and there are people who even beg to differ there. If I would be an Obsidian guy, I would be proud of my community that loves my game(s). Then I would be ashamed by the small angles they use to look into the reality of the gaming. I am sure that if someone would come and say Civ4 is a great game we will get 20 posters fallowing swiftly saying that "It might be true, nice game, but you know, it cant compare to PST." I decided to stop reading this forum and I hope the Obsidian is very careful when looking into this place. You guys are a danger to Obsidian and to the success of Project Eternity. You are scaring different opinions away by spamming the forums with basically the same thing, not only on the subject at hand but generally on any subject at all. All that while being around all around the day.

Have fun guys! And Obsidian, try to spread your info to other places as this is not building a healthy or even visitable community. We still want your updates on the great game I am sure you are making for us.

• Like 2

8 companions schould be enoght. If you need more you can build some in the Adventures Guild.

So where is the problem ?

Dragon Age Origins had also 8 well made companions the Addon Awakening had only 6 of them.

Since Obsidian is planning an expansion for PE they can deliver additional companions with the Addon.

I got tired after the first page with people kissing behinds at Obsidian. We all agree that we want well made npc. But I want a little more of them. I want 1 for every race and class. That makes 11 if I am not wrong. I would love to be able to play any race and have a proper assortment. And I want all of those made. I dont want to use your adventure hall. I want npc to interact with.

I dont know if you guys realize but you are brainwashed and brainwashing. PST is great. But it is not the only great and there are people who even beg to differ there. If I would be an Obsidian guy, I would be proud of my community that loves my game(s). Then I would be ashamed by the small angles they use to look into the reality of the gaming. I am sure that if someone would come and say Civ4 is a great game we will get 20 posters fallowing swiftly saying that "It might be true, nice game, but you know, it cant compare to PST." I decided to stop reading this forum and I hope the Obsidian is very careful when looking into this place. You guys are a danger to Obsidian and to the success of Project Eternity. You are scaring different opinions away by spamming the forums with basically the same thing, not only on the subject at hand but generally on any subject at all. All that while being around all around the day.

Have fun guys! And Obsidian, try to spread your info to other places as this is not building a healthy or even visitable community. We still want your updates on the great game I am sure you are making for us.

(post edited to fix information accuracy)

Errr... BG2 had 17, Dragon age 1 had 9, Dragon age 2 had 9, Mass effect had 6, Mass effect 2 had 11, Mass effect 3 had 8. (I don't count dlcs as companions.) So... how many more companions are you talking about? Cause you sound like you want 20.

Edited by Loranc

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Where is it stated there will be only 8 potential companions? I haven't read that anywhere yet.

But, to me, 8 companions is very few. Of course, it would be much better to have 14, or maybe even more companions to choose from. However, more characters need more time to work on, and I can understand there is few time left with the stretch goals and all... I fear those stretch goals and the release date of spring 2014 will be too early - I'd rather have them extend it until the summer or fall of 2014, so that the game can be more detailed. More extensive. Better.

Where is it stated there will be only 8 potential companions? I haven't read that anywhere yet.

But, to me, 8 companions is very few. Of course, it would be much better to have 14, or maybe even more companions to choose from. However, more characters need more time to work on, and I can understand there is few time left with the stretch goals and all... I fear those stretch goals and the release date of spring 2014 will be too early - I'd rather have them extend it until the summer or fall of 2014, so that the game can be more detailed. More extensive. Better.

As a recap of our stretch goals, here is what you have added to make Project Eternity bigger and better:

• 11 classes
  • 6 races
  • 8 companions
  • A huge mega dungeon of at least 10 levels (and possibly 11 or 12 by the time this is done!)
  • Player house
  • A stronghold
  • Two big cities
  • And much more.

From Update #25 on the Project Eternity Kickstarter. It just means that they are committed to 8 companions which I said in an earlier post. However they may add more as time procedes.

EDIT: yeh I know the dungeon is at 15 levels as of now.

Edited by Technatorium

Errr... BG2 had 9, Dragon age 1 had 9, Dragon age 2 had 9, Mass effect had 6, Mass effect 2 had 11, Mass effect 3 had 8. (I don't count dlcs as companions.) So... how many more companions are you talking about? Cause you sound like you want 20.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Baldur's Gate had 25 playable characters and Baldur's Gate II had 17.

Errr... BG2 had 9, Dragon age 1 had 9, Dragon age 2 had 9, Mass effect had 6, Mass effect 2 had 11, Mass effect 3 had 8. (I don't count dlcs as companions.) So... how many more companions are you talking about? Cause you sound like you want 20.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Baldur's Gate had 25 playable characters and Baldur's Gate II had 17.

Edited my above post to reflect this, guess I was in too big of a hurry to remember the exact amount in BG 2, sorry about that.

BG2:

-Minsc

-Jaheira

-Imoen

-Yoshimo

-Aerie

-Nalia

-Anomen

-Korgan

-Valygar

-Keldorn

-Viconia

-Jan

-Cernd

-Haer'Dalis

-Edwin

-Mazzy

-Saervok

Looks like 17. (post edited to fix accuracy.)

Edited by Loranc

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 also had an enormous share of unmemorable/forgettable companions you'd never look twice at.

Baldur's Gate had incredibly memorable characters. Companions who I never picked up for more than a few minutes have been stuck in my head for over 10 years.

Ok, Yeslick, Dynaheir and Mazzy were pretty dull.. And I have yet to hear of anybody actually USING Tiax, Quayle, Alora, Skie or Eldoth. But they definitely had alot of character, considering how little they actually talked back then.

Edited by Melanchior

Yeh BG had a lot of playable characters but I think just a bit too many in my opinion.

I rarely used all of them and often some didn't stay with your character long.

It was more of a PC that came and left for certain story aspects.

I haven't played BG1 in such a long time though so I'm probably simplifying it some.

Edited by Technatorium

BG 1 had 25 companions. But keep in mind, I hardly remember half of them... they were pretty 'forgettable'.

@Loranc: Can we add that some of them would be removed from the party, at one point or another, and in some cases that was a permanent situation?

Edit: I'm referring to BGII characters.

Edited by DocDoomII

Edited my above post to reflect this, guess I was in too big of a hurry to remember the exact amount in BG 2, sorry about that.

BG2:

-Minsc

-Jaheira

-Imoen

-Yoshimo

-Aerie

-Nalia

-Anomen

-Korgan

-Valygar

-Keldorn

-Viconia

-Jan

-Cernd

-Haer'Dalis

Looks like 14.

You forgot Mazzy, Edwin (how could you!) and Sarevok (ToB). ;)

From Update #25 on the backer comments. It jus means that they are committed to 8 companions which I said in an earlier post. However they may add more as time procedes.

Ah, thanks. With all the updates and stuff I sometimes get lost in the information. ;)

But you're probably right. They will most likely add more characters in due time. Maybe not before the initial release, but later - the first expansion, for instance.

@Loranc: Can we add that some of them would be removed from the party, at one point or another, and in some cases that was a permanent situation?

Yeah but I have no idea which ones... it's been so long. And with BG2 I was not figuring in the expansion party member Sarevok. You know there's like 8 companions in BG1 I've never even met, or don't remember meeting.

Edited by Loranc

See... I can remember and name every companion in the ME and DA games, but I can't remember half of the companions in BG1+2, and I remember all the companions in PS:T as well. I really think more companions = bad idea.

• Like 1

I didnt read the whole thread so maybe this was already discussed but what happens when they die? IIRC there is no such thing as resurrection magic in the world of P:E so what happens when they go face down? Total party size is six so thats the PC + 5, which I suppose when they get killed you just replace them from the pool of the remaining three? And if/when they die, then what? We just have to go short handed?

Aye, it is true BG1 really has many characters that I have also forgotten. But concerning BG2, I have certainly played with Aerie, Imoen, Keldorn, Mazzy, Minsc, Nalia, Valygar, Anomen, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Edwin, Sarevok and Viconia. That's 13 already! I would love more characters, but can understand the limit because of the available time. That's why I'm hoping for more characters in the first expansion.

I didnt read the whole thread so maybe this was already discussed but what happens when they die? IIRC there is no such thing as resurrection magic in the world of P:E so what happens when they go face down? Total party size is six so thats the PC + 5, which I suppose when they get killed you just replace them from the pool of the remaining three? And if/when they die, then what? We just have to go short handed?

Good question. Another one for me in the same vein is when they die what happens to the soul? Considering that Obsidian has been refering to souls in aspect to the game, how do these concepts factor into the game?

Aye, it is true BG1 really has many characters that I have also forgotten. But concerning BG2, I have certainly played with Aerie, Imoen, Keldorn, Mazzy, Minsc, Nalia, Valygar, Anomen, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Edwin, Sarevok and Viconia. That's 13 already! I would love more characters, but can understand the limit because of the available time. That's why I'm hoping for more characters in the first expansion.

You also have to remember that some of those CAME from BG1. So it's kind of like seeing the same companions again. More of a family then a companion by that time.

Heh.... that comment made me laugh. But, I see your point. I don't think they've completely fleshed out the whole dying yet, and some of their other ideas are just ideas until they get around to play testing them. They said there wouldn't be x or y, but until there's actually a game to test their ideas and theories in there's no telling what may get added or changed.

I guess I probably came off as 'don't add anymore than 8', but i'm not against adding more companions. Eight is fine with me, but if they wanted to increase it to 13 or 14, that'd be fine too. I just don't want there to be an over abundance of companions in the game.

If they are 8 well written interesting companions then yes 8 is plenty. Dragon Age: Origins only had 7 not counting the DLC Golem and the Dog. Well technically it had 8 not counting those two since one guy who was your enemy could become your companion depending on how the game played out.

Edited by Karkarov

If they're 8 cool and interesting companions, then it should be enough. 8 well-made companions is better than 4 well-made and 10 mediocre companions says I

Though, *well made* isn't a definitie point. It can always get better. In the same amount of time you can make 4 companions much more reactive than 8. Though, 8 have probably more variety.

Edited by C2B