The End of The Beginning

Since the Kickstarter phase of the project is about to end, and we've just had a fairly high-profile departure from amongst the backers (dlux) it seems to be about time to start thinking about the months ahead for our little community, so maybe people should start giving their ideas.

Personally, I think that we've maybe got a bit too used to announcements from the development team on a frequent basis, and it's going to take people a while to calm down from having stuff to react to every day.

Also, I think for the time for wishlists of features is maybe past: I'm sure that devs will ask if they need any more ideas, but they seem to have about as many as they can possibly deliver on.

There'll be plenty of time to complain about development decisions in 2014 ... and I'm sure that we will, because we all had different ideas of what this game was going to be when we started. Until we at least see some alpha footage, though, it's only going to spoil the atmosphere here if we get daily ragequits over how this game is going to suck worse than DA2! (To be honest, I liked DA2, although I know I'm in a minority.)

Finally, the point of crowdfunding a game is not just to buy the game ... we could all simply have bought it on release, since it hit its funding on about the first day. The point is to be on the journey, and any journey is going to be more fun if we pass the time pleasantly along the way. Maybe a few less polls and a few more games and general discussions?

I'm looking forward to the journey, maybe more than the game itself. In the immortal words of The Carpenters, "we've only just begun".

• Like 2

Don't expect too much. The Wasteland 2 forums have been in a semi-coma since that game's Kickstarter ended. Granted, Obsidian is a larger company and they might have more time to engage the community with new information, but there's only so much you can say about a game that's still so far away from release.

• Like 2

Also, I think for the time for wishlists of features is maybe past: I'm sure that devs will ask if they need any more ideas, but they seem to have about as many as they can possibly deliver on.

They've specifically asked for stretch goal ideas on Twitter last night :)

Regarding dlux: personally I don't like high-profile rage quits, i see it as emotional blackmail. That's more than enough said on the subject.

and I'm sure that we will, because we all had different ideas of what this game was going to be when we started.

I dunno what about you, but I've seen the intruduction video quite carefully and it had a statement on what this game will be. It states pretty clearly on what project Obsidian asked us to pledge our money.

No to experimentation!

No to fixing that is not broken!

No to changes for the sake of change!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

I dunno what about you, but I've seen the intruduction video quite carefully and it had a statement on what this game will be. It states pretty clearly on what project Obsidian asked us to pledge our money.

People fleshed out in their own minds what wasn't in the original video, and we've seen over the course of the campaign that people had strong ideas about every aspect of this game; some of them were very disappointed when things that they hoped would be in the game were not. We even had rage about the foreign language options!

It's a given (hey, we're on the internet) that arguments are going to come up further down the line, but if these particular forums are going to continue to work to all our benefit, we're going to need to focus more on the things that unite us, such as our desire that the devs make the game they planned to the best of their, and our, satisfaction.

Otherwise the devs will end up avoiding these forums almost as much as the massive percentage of pledgers who aren't even members here.

• Like 1

I think it's helpful to take a step back and remember that you essentially contributed money in the belief that when developers and financial backers are taken out of the equation, Obsidian knows what it's doing. Just because a feature you don't care for is in the game (or one you wanted doesn't make the cut) doesn't mean the game as a whole is completely ruined. You make suggestions and give input, but at the end of the day, you've given money to a company and said 'go make the game you've always wanted to make'. It's going to be a year and a half or more before we find out if this really worked, so in the meantime I'd say it's best to take it easy.

(For the record, I liked DA2 as well, although there were certainly aspects that could have been improved.)

Edited by TheOptimist
  • Like 2

They've specifically asked for stretch goal ideas on Twitter last night :)

Regarding dlux: personally I don't like high-profile rage quits, i see it as emotional blackmail. That's more than enough said on the subject.

I sent him a PM, I can understand the rage over the change to the way experience is gained as it is dangerous, but if handled like I mentioned in my post it should be fine.

Edited by Sensuki

I'm hoping the developers stay active with their updates. It helps keep the community strong, which is very important. I've given more to this game than any other game. Part of the reason is because I love how "involved" I feel from the constant updates and the activity of the devs.

• Like 2

Rage quits are generally lame anyway, and I didn't see it as high-profile because I don't know anything about the handle. /shrug :p

It's the same as the cooldown bit: people take a general mechanism description and then go all hysterical that it's going to be implemented in a vacuum, exactly as it is, without taking into account all the other mechanisms and design decisions that would be connected to it.

And "start giving ideas"? The PE forums have always been hopping with ideas, it's just that those of us who actually try to maintain constructive discourse with actual suggestions to temper controversial proposals (the details are not set in stone) are drowned out by the crybabies who take a game mechanic very personally. Besides which Obsidian has plenty of ideas balanced between both play experience and substantial game creation experience.

Just like the cooldowns, it's best to poke Obsidian for creative solutions than dismissing an idea on its face and rage-quitting. Meh. The mature way is to just quit and take your money with you.

Maybe the forums will quiet down now--that's not necessarily a bad thing. :lol:

• Like 3

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Daily interest in the development of the game will ebb away. That is a natural response as we find ourselves facing new situations in our daily routine. But I am sure for many here, the project will not be forgotten, just put aside. Take myself for instance, I backed this, so I will keep half an eye on it. Our expectations will gradually take shape over the next year or so. We have been asking thus far, we will be complaining when the alpha footage finally comes out. Previews and more interviews will be published to keep interest in the game alive, and we will be jotted awake each time I suspect lol.

And to Obsidian, may I suggest the devs post updates here periodically to give people stopping by the boards something to talk about. Even if it is just a photo of some dev working on the game, every tidbit will help take up the slack in interest. This can be influential when the time arrives for the backers to get their first look at the beta. Our expectations will already have been molded to be more realistic, and any discontent can be managed better.

Wait: what happened to dlux?

They didn't like the directional information that has come out on Project Eternity and have decided no longer to back it.

I don't see why its an issue; their money and their right to change their mind.

Obsidian's been pretty good about throwing hints and discussion to the community during their game development based on past evidence. I don't expect it to be any different with PE.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm hoping the developers stay active with their updates. It helps keep the community strong, which is very important. I've given more to this game than any other game. Part of the reason is because I love how "involved" I feel from the constant updates and the activity of the devs.

I agree, and I hope so too, but we've had 24 updates and it's unreasonable (I think) to hope for more than one a week. It's true that the devs can do a lot to keep us feeling involved, and I hope they will, but if their every update is greeted by group of fans that microscopically examines every single comment, I guarantee that they will lose enthusiasm for the task.

Also, like every Kickstarter project, this one will be monitored by a lot of people hoping to see it fail. The backlash against Amanda Palmer was pretty strong, and she wasn't even dealing with gaming fans!

Why is dlux considered high profile? Were they one of the 10k backers?

Anyway, the way experience is being handled is a big improvement. If some self-important little ****s are going to throw a tantrum because they can't grind anymore, then good riddance. :)

Regarding future updates once the kickstarter ends, something once a week would be nice. I'm sure they'll have plenty to talk about (without spoiling too much), and plenty of artwork and screenshots to show.

Wait: what happened to dlux?

They didn't like the directional information that has come out on Project Eternity and have decided no longer to back it.

I don't see why its an issue; their money and their right to change their mind.

Pretty much. Though, I don't like the method, because it gives the developers the feeling they did something wrong. Especially in dlux's case who supported the order so much.

Edited by C2B

Well, hopefully the forum quiets down.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They were organizing the Obsidian Order of Eternity backers group, so had high visability

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Without a publisher manning the information pump, I'm guessing Obsidian would still like to be more engaged than a typical game development cycle usually allows. So maybe it won't be every other day, but something like once or twice a month, with a few screenies doled out and maybe some concept art and the like with the occasional lore update?

Whatever happens I have a feeling the forum will quiet down a bit, but it won't die off completely.

They were organizing the Obsidian Order of Eternity backers group, so had high visability

I suppose...

For the sake of the game though, I really hope it takes more than a few vocal whiners (even ones consided "high profile" like dlux) to make Obsidian back out of a good idea. Especially something as significant as how health or XP works.

Edited by Piccolo

Ah, right.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. For one, it's his money. Secondly, he and others are plain overreacting just like with the cooldowns. There have been plenty of good ideas thrown around in the update thread and the poll thread, but they're drowned out like 20 to 1 by people more concerned about validating, in a vacuum, their personal playstyle by a single mechanic. Which is silly.

@Obsidian: The xp idea is still good, just needs some fine-tuning.

Frankly, if someone is going to throw a public fit without academic discussion along with reasoned suggestions, a forum is better off without them stirring up more hysteria. Time and time again, many gaming forums....

I mean, if Obsidian suddenly decided to add full cut-scene 3D animated talking head/uncanny valley sex romances for every companion, I'd pull out too (I'd just hope Obs would announce this before the KS ends :p).

• Like 2

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

If they back out of it and play it safe. I will be very disappointed.

This is not how this Kickstarter should work. At all. It was about the Obsidian devs finally getting to do what they want to do without restrictions.

• Like 4

If they back out of it and play it safe. I will be very disappointed.

This is not how this Kickstarter should work. At all. It was about the Obsidian devs finally getting to do what they want to do without restrictions.

It's not unfair for backers to expect some input. But there's a vast difference between an instantaneous rage-quit without waiting for explanation (e.g. the period between the first cooldown post and the interviews describing the mechanics in more detail) and merely bowing out due to a direction you disagree with. Except that no development has even started yet.

I don't think it's the fact that they pulled out, it's the fact that they now feel it's their duty to go around making hysterics now on a project they no longer support. If you want to leave some closing remarks, fine. If you get a little emotional, okay, you were invested. But running around in a manic like this disproves the point more than anything else, simply showing it as baseless hysterics. Get it together and make a point without drama if you want to do anything other than just make trouble. They're only really "high profile" because of making a huge deal out of it.